Wishes at Sea

Royal Caribbean ships sponsor a walk on their cruiselines that benefits sick kids. They sell t-shirts for $20ish as well for walkers and those who just want to contribute. My wife and I bought t-shirts and participated in walk along the deck above the pool deck (no idea what it's name it' date=' but its floor 12,) as did a hundred or so others. It's a great cause and would have been great to see even more cruisers participate. Two hundred bought shirts and/or walked out of 3,500. It's not that much money and you've already spent a lot of much on the cruise and will be spending more on drinks and souvenirs. Drop a few bucks for sick kids.

(Bart jumps off of his soapbox.)[/quote']

We did this on the Navigator TA. The cruise director said if they raised $20,000 or more he would wear a dress on stage. He wore a dress on stage. Yes it is a great cause.

Jan

Royal Caribbean ships sponsor a walk on their cruiselines that benefits sick kids. They sell t-shirts for $20ish as well for walkers and those who just want to contribute. My wife and I bought t-shirts and participated in walk along the deck above the pool deck (no idea what it's name it' date=' but its floor 12,) as did a hundred or so others. It's a great cause and would have been great to see even more cruisers participate. Two hundred bought shirts and/or walked out of 3,500. It's not that much money and you've already spent a lot of much on the cruise and will be spending more on drinks and souvenirs. Drop a few bucks for sick kids.

(Bart jumps off of his soapbox.)[/quote']

If it is such a great cause (and I have no knowledge of this specific cause), why do you feel that walking around the deck or taking a cruise is necessary to support them? When you get home, just send them a check.

All of the "walking for whatever" efforts have never made any sense to me. If the charity is good, just contribute.

DON

Don' date='

Cameras filming the walk make good publicity and press for Royal Caribbean,and it's just a good and fun thing to do. ...also it is much like why I run 5k, 10k, 10 miler and half marathon races: good to stay in shape and the money goes to a good cause.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong - I am not against contributing to charities of your choice. I give a good bit to selected charities - not the ones pushed by any tour packages or ships that I may cruise on.

My question to you is still the same - why do you feel that you have to do a marathon, swim 100 laps, or play in a golf tournament in order to support causes that you believe in? Just write them a check.

DON

Don't get me wrong - I am not against contributing to charities of your choice. I give a good bit to selected charities - not the ones pushed by any tour packages or ships that I may cruise on.

My question to you is still the same - why do you feel that you have to do a marathon, swim 100 laps, or play in a golf tournament in order to support causes that you believe in? Just write them a check.

DON

Well when I walk in a half marathon along with writing a check, I do something for them and for me. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

while I am sure this is a worthy cause, do not presume to insinuate that anyone who chooses NOT to support it is a selfish unfeeling individual who would rather spend $20 on a drink of the day.

I have my OWN worthy causes that have nothing to do with sick kids that I feel are just as important if not more so. I choose to spend my charity dollars there.

Wow- what an ugly response! I must of missed the part where the OP 'presumed' or 'insinuated' anything other than they think it is a rewarding thing to do.

I am sure you have your OWN worthy causes for very good reasons...but I can't for the life of me understand why you feel it necessary to belittle and attack someone that is promoting what they feel is an important and worthy charity?

This seems to be a no brainer. Put up the $10 for the shirt and enjoy walking with many people and at the end you can say maybe I helped a kid by taking on this task today. I also feel we have many charities that want our money, but this is a social event that helps others unlike my donating to a charity without a personal stimulation. I trust RCI that they are giving the money to help kids, do I trust those that call me. NO!

while I am sure this is a worthy cause, do not presume to insinuate that anyone who chooses NOT to support it is a selfish unfeeling individual who would rather spend $20 on a drink of the day.

I have my OWN worthy causes that have nothing to do with sick kids that I feel are just as important if not more so. I choose to spend my charity dollars there.

Sorry you are having a bad day!

This is (oops, was) a totally positive thread celebrating a partnership between cruise line and cruisers that benefits kids with serious diseases.

There were no "presumptions" or "insinuations" that I have seen.

Enjoy your drink of the day!:rolleyes:

While we were at the Quest last month, the cruise director mentioned that there was 2 families on the freedom because of the generosity of their fellow cruisers....We donate every cruise....The only time they did not do the "walk for wishes" was when we were at sea and the Haiti earthquake happened..They turned it into walk for Haiti...

I will be another negative.

On our last cruise, some people coming back for their "walk" in high spirits badgered and belittled us as they passed us because we did not participate. The purpose of the T-shirts or ribbons to to give a sense of solidarity to the participants.

Everywhere we turn, be it the grocery store, the street corner, the office, etc., someone has their hand out asking for a donation. If you want to participate great, do it, leave the rest of us alone. Write them a check. We have our charities that we contribute to. Its not the $10, its the process.

We were told that the money collected on the ship goes to the cruiseline to pay for cruises for those in the program. Why doesn't the cruiseline donate the cruises?

DON

Did you ever think that maybe these marathons, walks, golf tournaments, telethons and such are there to raise awareness for some of these charities so that people can then send them a check or volunteer or whatever? :confused: There are lots of people out there who like getting together with friends to enjoy a day of walking or swimming or golfing and know that while they are having fun, someone else less fortunate is able to benefit in some way.

DON

Don, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing. I was just saying why I do run, walk etc. :)

Archived