I need hotel recommendations for barcelona. First time there, plese help!

Ivy86

With Barcelona's great Metro system, you can stay in other areas than Las Ramblas.

Sagrada Familia is away from the heart of the city, so I would not recommend staying there.

Check out Venere website for hotels. http://www.venere.com/spain/barcelona/?ref=854787

We stayed at the Hotel Astoria for 69E per night. It is close to the Diagonal Metro station.

There is a metro stop near Sagrada Familia but for a first visit to the city I usually recommend staying somewhere above or below Placa Catalunya , which is the central square of the city. Venere is a good site to see availability and then I usually go directly to the hotel web site to look for "offers"(deals). In Spain if you see an offer on the home page of the hotel you must click on it and then put in your booking dates to see the lower prices.

IF you just put in your booking dates then the cheaper offers don't always show up.

They often have early booking discounts so I hope your cruise is not for a few months!!

Some friends and fellow cruisers stayed down by the beach. It was still on a HOHO bus route but not near Las Ramblas. For a night or so I would certainly consider it if I ever needed to stay there pre-cruise. Easy peasy to get on the HOHO and go to Sagrada Familia, Barri Gotic, and Las Ramblas for sightseeing. Might save some money that way.:)

I am just back from Barcelona pre cruise stayed at the AC Diplomatic which was lovely, but post cruise I stayed at the Fira Palace and that location was even better.

Rooms were huge, clean and free wifi. I wanted something within walking distance of the Magic Fountains, Metro, and the Aeroport bus, which the Fira Palace was. I paid 79 euros and booked through hoteltravel.com (have gotten some great deals for European hotels through this web site )

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the NH Hotel in the Barrio Gotic in Barcelona- pedestrian only- in the center of the Gothic Quarter, just a block from the Ramblas. Nice, clean, great buffet breakfast, not expensive. Van highly recommend this hotel.

Just got back from Barcelona, pre-cruise we stayed at Hotel Continental Palacete & post-cruise stayed at the sister hotel, Hotel Continental Barcelona. As mentioned before it's different, but clean, great locations, free internet, free wine & beer, free breakfast (light). The staff was very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a 4 star this is not the hotel for you, but if you are looking for a place to sleep and call home for a few days this is it.

We stayed at the Praktik Hotel in Exiample. It is about a 10 minute walk from Placa Catalunya, 15 minutes from Las Ramblas, 10 minutes from La Pedera and shopping and a 30 minute (or short taxi/bus) ride to the Sagrada Familia. It is in a quiet area with lots of little cafes nearby. It is a "no frills" kind of place but is very comfortable and reasonable and the staff are helpful and friendly-I think it has a capacity of 40 guests-so quite small. We got a balcony room, which was quiet and bright. We were happy to save some money (check out expedia) but this hotel would really only be for you if you are a good walker and are looking for clean, comfortable and cheap-not luxury. They have WIFI for free there too, which we found helpful.

I stayed four nights this past June at the Silken Ramblas, which is a short walk off the Ramblas on Pintor Fortuny. Nice place and the breakfast, which can be booked as inclusive, was outstanding. Best eggs I have ever had. It is quiet and clean. Good places to eat are nearby. Great tampas at Bar Lobo. There is a Carrefour grocery near by up the Ramblas. The public market is two blocks away down the Ramblas. Go to the market early in the morning to avoid the pickpockets and to watch the show of arranging the foods and fruits. The old cathedral is an easy walk from the hotel. There is a dialy morning mass at about 8:30 AM. It is a longer walk to the Gaudi (Holy Family)cathedral, but doable in about 30 minutes. Best of all it is a ten minute cab ride to the cruise ship dock.

'Miner

http://www.airbnb.com/search/?location=Barcelona&af=469641&c=srch_bar_airbnb#modified=true

I leave in a week for 5 nights in Barcelona. I have a Balcony Flat. On this website, there are 1800 places in BCN. Very reasonable and safe.

I stayed with a Host in London in August a couple of blocks from Big Ben for < $100 a night.

Great website. U can see photos and read reviews of travelers who have stayed with these Hosts. You can see the location on a map. You can e-mail with the Host before booking and Hosts are rated on their response rate.

$66 a night. Look at the photos of my Flat:

"Room with a View, Bcn City Center - 200 m to la RAMBLA.

Large rooms in Barcelona Old quarter, two of them: one with a double bed and one with two single beds, connected by a wide door. Both of them have a balcony overlooking Rambla del Raval. You can rent one or the both of them. Price above is per room/night. Special discount when renting both of them. The apartment is just 400 m to the harbor. Nice balcony and view. Live and beautiful area, close to main culture places, museums, restaurants and bars. third floor. elevator."

http://http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/70099

We just returned from our cruise and stayed at Circa 1905 on Carrer de Provenca one block off of Passeig de Gracia. We walked to Sagrada Familia and to Las Ramblas for the La Merce festival and all around the area. Perfect location, we booked on booking.com during the very expensive festival and paid 120E/night. The pictures are exactlly how it looks. They have only a total of 9 rooms and the prices include continental breakfast. They also had coffee, tea, and bottled water available 24/7.

We are going to stay at Bany's Oriental in the el Borne area. Seems to centrally located and has great reviews on trip adivsor. You have to book directly through the hotel. If you know who Rick Steves is, he recommends this as a place to stay in one of his books as well. Prices are great.

Archived