door slammers

noisycharlie

We have been on approximately 25 cruises (Carnival -years ago and 15 Princess cruises.)

I can not figure out why passengers have to slam their cabin and or balcony doors. Do they do this at home? It occcurs at all times of the day or night. Have tried to catch the culprits and make a nice mention of it to no avail. Would be nice if the new ships would put automatic door closers in the new cabins. Always seems to happen when you are dozing off.

We have been on approximately 25 cruises (Carnival -years ago and 15 Princess cruises.)

I can not figure out why passengers have to slam their cabin and or balcony doors. Do they do this at home? It occcurs at all times of the day or night. Have tried to catch the culprits and make a nice mention of it to no avail. Would be nice if the new ships would put automatic door closers in the new cabins. Always seems to happen when you are dozing off.

What a major bummer.

That is an interesting idea about the door closer.

Ear plugs might be good when you are trying to sleep. I know from years of living in close quarters with others that people do not have the same schedules as me.

It's not just on cruises; we've experienced this in many hotels we've stayed in. And it isn't just slamming doors; it's talking loudly/yelling in the hallways at all hours. :(

I try not to let the doors slam but some times it happens as for me slamming doors at home, No I dont slam my doors but I dont have high pressure ac units in my house moving mass volumes of air though my house either

In addition to mass volumes of air moving thru the ship, the doors are equipped with automatic door closers. And depending on how it is adjusted, some of those door closers make the door feel very heavy.

Sometime the door handle slips out of my hand and the automatic door closer takes over - slam!

And if you don't hang on to the door the entire time you are either entering or leaving your room, the auto door closer will slam it shut for you.

It's not just on cruises; we've experienced this in many hotels we've stayed in. And it isn't just slamming doors; it's talking loudly/yelling in the hallways at all hours. :(

The doors banging are bad enough, but late loud talk/yelling/laughter in the hallways really really really makes me mad! :mad:

We always try to be careful closing the doors since they will bang shut if you just let them go after opening them. We are especially careful at night and early in the morning. The one time we had a problem, it was actually a crew door and once we mentioned it to the steward, it never happened again.

We bring a sound machine with us. Sometimes we use it and other times it has not been needed. The white noise does cover most of the extraneous sounds at night.

Most folks don't "slam" on purpose....if the balcony door is open, it creates a suction that will cause the door to slam. Sometimes, it's so strong, that you can't control it. We try to keep the balcony door closed, but there have been times when one of us is going in or out of the cabin, while the other person happens to come in from the balcony. Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't get how the balcony doors can slam shut when 6 out of 7 nights on our last cruise we went by atleast 40 cabins PER NIGHT which all made the hallway sound like it had a tornado in it and never heard a single slam. Yet we heard a bunch of slamming doors during the day and none were the hallway doors.

The hall was the people yelling between cabins and I don't mean nextdoor or across the hall but 3-5 apart from eachother.

Also the cabin stewards all sitting at one end of the hall near the supply closet every morning like clockwork 6:30am 3 loud metal bangs like someone dropping pots then 3-7 voices all start talking, made for a good alarm clock.

• 3 months later...

On our last cruise we had a couple (I never saw the wife ) and 2 children directly across from us. The kids would run down the hall and slam the door. We had peace and quite for 3 or 4 days and our cabin steward said they were sea sick. Every time our friends next door would flush their toilet it would make a horrible noise in the door slammers cabin. So when they would come to their cabin late, loud and slamming our friends (whom they woke up) would flush multiple times. They even complained to the cabin steward about the flushing, and he came to our friends cabin with the steward. After the confrontation the slamming eased up a bit.

Archived