Grand Cayman prices

Cigar Dude

Just a head's up for everyone going to Grand Cayman. They take American dollars but their dollar is stronger than ours (big shock) so when they quote you it's in Cayman dollars. A beer and a hamburger was just shy of $20 at Royal Palms!!!!!!:eek:

Just a head's up for everyone going to Grand Cayman. They take American dollars but their dollar is stronger than ours (big shock) so when they quote you it's in Cayman dollars. A beer and a hamburger was just shy of $20 at Royal Palms!!!!!!:eek:

Yep...our dollar is worth .82 in KYD.

http://coinmill.com/KYD_calculator.html#USD=1.00

I hear of people going to spend the day at Margaritaville to eat and drink...no way!

Wow, thats something else! I think we'll just do our stingray tour, turtle farm and back to the ship for food, thanks for the heads up on this!

...or do a tour that includes lunch..thats what we did. Did the Rum Ray and Reef tour through Nativeways that included a BBQ lunch w/soft drink on the beach at Rum Point..beer was available to buy.

...or do a tour that includes lunch..thats what we did. Did the Rum Ray and Reef tour through Nativeways that included a BBQ lunch w/soft drink on the beach at Rum Point..beer was available to buy.

We booked this excursion because I had heard that grand Cayman food was expensive....looking forward to it!

We booked this excursion because I had heard that grand Cayman food was expensive....looking forward to it!

We loved this tour...and if you like fish, the grilled fish lunch was really good. On the boat they pass around menus and then they radio the orders in to Rum Point...lunch is ready shortly after you arrive.

We booked through Captain Marvins, and they do offer a tour with lunch, unfortunately its all seafood, and I dislike seafood, any kind of seafood, but we'll still enjoy the other tour and although we have been to Cayman twice already, our older sons havent been so we may end up stopping for some of their very expensive food after all :rolleyes:

This got me thinking(me being me), I was curious to see what it was when I was there all the way back in '07. It was the same then, so it hasn't changed. It is just expensive.

$1.00 was at .82KYD

http://www.gocurrency.com/v2/historic-exchange-rates.php?ccode2=USD&ccode=KYD&frMonth=8&frDay=6&frYear=2007

We ate at Margaritaville, there was 4 of us(they don't split checks either)--Burgers, margarita's(DW's), appetizers, and a few beers each for myself and best friend was close to $150(if memory serves me correct).

I've said this in threads before, but I think it bears saying again.

I don't mind that Cayman is expensive. I know I can eat the food and drink the water without getting sick. I know I can see the sights without getting mugged or hassled by drug dealers. I know I can enjoy the gorgeous beaches without being pestered by beach vendors.

I'd rather pay that $125 for dinner, knowing that I can safely walk home afterwards and knowing that I won't spend the next three days sick as a dog. To me, that's worth the expense. Yes, there's cheaper islands, but none as safe and friendly, IMO...

the exchange rate does not fluctuate as it does in many other countries. Rather the CI dollar is fixed to the US dollar at the rate given. In practice you're going to see 1 CI is 1.20 US, $1 US is only .80 CI,,, $10 US, $8 CI Your $20 US is $16 CI

she may look 20 but she's 16 CI . . .

some sample prices

note the fine print - prices in CI

Snack_Menu_2010.jpg

just figure in a 20% tip to your US dollars for the conversion .... then figure in AGAIN for the tip.

I've said this in threads before, but I think it bears saying again.

I don't mind that Cayman is expensive. I know I can eat the food and drink the water without getting sick. I know I can see the sights without getting mugged or hassled by drug dealers. I know I can enjoy the gorgeous beaches without being pestered by beach vendors.

I'd rather pay that $125 for dinner, knowing that I can safely walk home afterwards and knowing that I won't spend the next three days sick as a dog. To me, that's worth the expense. Yes, there's cheaper islands, but none as safe and friendly, IMO...

This is why we keep going back again and again. How many islands can you rent a car and go anywhere on the island without fearing for your life? I don't want to go on a vacation and have to stay inside a compound. I only wish I could figure out a way to live there year round. :)

try going out for dinner at a nice restaurant. We stayed there for a week 2 years in a row and dinner ran well over $125 for 2 with a drink and a glass of wine. And that was every night.

I guess you needed to know where to go cheaper. Lots of restaurants with good prices and we have been going for 5 years.

Archived