Priority check-in for traveling companions?

MERCE4

My traveling companions will be taking their first RCCL cruise on FOS in March. I am eligible for priority check-in. Will my friends be able to check in with me? We are four people in two adjoining rooms.

Thanks,

Ann

We have done it several times. Did it on the Voyager in Dec. and have done it on the Freedom. Just tell them you are traveling as a group and want to stay together, no problem. General boarding may be faster however. We found this to be the case out of Cape Canaveral on the Freedom a few months ago.

My traveling companions will be taking their first RCCL cruise on FOS in March. I am eligible for priority check-in. Will my friends be able to check in with me? We are four people in two adjoining rooms.

Thanks,

Ann

Are you eligible for priority check in based on your C&A status or your cabin type? If it is your C&A status your companions will not be eligible. If it is based on being in a suite and they are too then yes, if they are not in a suite then no (technically). If you arrive early there should be minimal delays, you might have to wait just a few minutes after you check in for them to go through the standard check in then you can board together.

My brother and I did this with my parents when we traveled on the Freedom in January and it only saved us a few minutes. My parents had priority check in but since our accounts were linked, as were our cabins and documents we had to check in together. They had no issue allowing us to check in together. I am sure if we had been a group it would have been a bit different.

Even though we are all eligible we have never been asked to prove it..and just walk straight for the priority line..With you leading the way and all of you walking up to the counter together..more than likely no one will take notice..and sometimes this line "WILL" save you a great amount of checkin time..It has for us many times !! Enjoy your cruise :)

Yes of course you may all check in together. I am assuming your reservations are linked together for dining so there will be no problem.

Much of the time the lines for non-priority are as short or shorter than priority lines. Makes no difference to the check-in Attendant.

This has been my experience as well.

It seems to vary by port. When I sailed out of Galveston, my group of 6 got to check in together, even though only one was eligible for priority check in. We had three adjoining cabins but none were suites.

When we sailed from Vancouver with the same group, there was a woman standing by the priority line asking to see SetSail documents to make sure only those eligible for priority check in got into that line. She wouldn't let the whole group in since we had 3 cabins. We all elected to go through the regular line. It probably only took an extra 5 minutes for all of us to go through the regular line.

The couple times that I sailed with just my mom, she was able to do priority check in with me even though she is only C&A platinum but we were in the same cabin.

ADDED: Our group reservations were linked, but that didn't seem to make a difference in Vancouver. Four of us are going together in February on Adventure so I'll see how that works out. We have a diamond and a gold C&A in a suite and two platinums in an OV.

Edited by kyriecat

I could be wrong but I think Platinum level does receive priority check in.

Yes, Platinum level is eligible for priority check in. But as others have mentioned, check the length of the lines and the number of agents serving the lines before deciding which line to get in. Quite often the non-priority lines will be smaller or move faster (due the number of agents checking people in) than the priority line.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

It depends on the check-in clerk, if they want to do it fine, if not it won't work. Usually they are nice and it isn't a problem. All priority set sail cards are behind those desks so they do need to go to a different area to get the others.

The priority check-in says "subject to availability" on the C&A website. Last year when Mom & I were on Serenade, the sign by the priority check in line said "Diamond/Diamond Plus C&A and Suite Guests Only" so they weren't letting platinum C&A have priority check in for that cruise. Since I was a diamond C&A member and my mom was in the cabin with me, they let her check in with me even though she is platinum C&A. There seemed to be a ton of D/D+ C&A members onboard that cruise so I think they were trying to limit the perks.

We're sailing from San Juan again next year but on Adventure. My mom isn't in the same cabin as me this time. I don't know if RC will limit the priority check in to diamond/diamond plus C&A only or if they will open it to platinum members also. If they limit it, I will probably go through the regular line so I can board at the same time as my parents.

At Cape Liberty, there is someone with a clipboard standing in front of the priority check-in area - you give her your cabin # and she checks it off on her list. If it's not there, I guess you are sent back to the regular lines (which are rarely very long).

Thanks to all who took the time to write. My main concern was if they let us in the priority line and then turned us down at the check-in desk. Sounds like, for the most part, if they let us in the line they will let us check-in. Regardless of the availability, I'll remember that it is "just the check-in". The main thing is just to get on board before the ship sails! :D

Ann

Yes – As noted, they will likely be allowed priority check -in with you. Many folks have some sort of paid ( suite) or rewarded ( loyalty) status that allows priority check-in. Just about everyone is sailing with others so priority check-in is often meaningless because of the longer lines. So many use (or abuse) priority check-in that often the regular line is shorter or faster.

Enjoy

M

• 5 years later...

I see this is a pretty old thread and I'm wondering if anything as changed. We have traveling companions aboard the LOS in July. We booked a balcony and they have a GS. We were wondering if we linked out reservations, could we take advantage of priority check in?

I see this is a pretty old thread and I'm wondering if anything as changed. We have traveling companions aboard the LOS in July. We booked a balcony and they have a GS. We were wondering if we linked out reservations' date=' could we take advantage of priority check in?[/quote']

The port personnel who decide priority check-in and boarding have no knowledge of linked reservations. They may or may not let you stay with the suite people. If not, the difference will be maybe 5-10 minutes in when you board.