Question re Automatically Gratuities

lucywestie

Geez, I go away for an hour and the thread did deterioate into near complete mayhem!

Thanks for all the responses, whether they were actually on topic or not!

I understand this is a touchy subject, I guess I just liked the way RCI used to do them with the envelopes. At least there was an option there whereas, like some of the posters on this thread, the cruise lines are almost laying a guilt trip on you if you want to pay differently to their guidelines, which, after all, are suggested guidelines.

Many thanks

Pete:)

DKJRETIRED, just wondering, you mentioned that the tips go to the intended parties. Does that include those that work in the Cova Cafe etc. as someone has previously mentioned? Or are those employees separate to those that work in the main dining areas etc?

Pete

DKJRETIRED, just wondering, you mentioned that the tips go to the intended parties. Does that include those that work in the Cova Cafe etc. as someone has previously mentioned? Or are those employees separate to those that work in the main dining areas etc?

Pete

I was only referring to the tips that are taken out on your account on a daily basis not those who serve drinks...

I really hated the envelopes and having to have cash on hand, etc. I love the auto-grats... that way if I don't feel like eating in the MDR on the final night I don't have to drop in to leave the tips. I also like that with Select, you pay up front, so before even going into my cruise - I know that my seapass account will be $275 less (completely psychological, but nice to have it PAID none the less!).

Geez, I go away for an hour and the thread did deterioate into near complete mayhem!

Thanks for all the responses, whether they were actually on topic or not!

I understand this is a touchy subject, I guess I just liked the way RCI used to do them with the envelopes. At least there was an option there whereas, like some of the posters on this thread, the cruise lines are almost laying a guilt trip on you if you want to pay differently to their guidelines, which, after all, are suggested guidelines.

Many thanks

Pete:)

Celebrity used to do the same thing as RCI, I dont even think they do it that way anymore on RCL, all cruise lines have changed to some different form in tipping. At least on Celebrity you have the option to remove them, other lines such as NCL you cannot.

OP - you have your requested responses to your quesitons. One suggestion. If you are not going to dine at the MDR at all, please make sure the Matre De knows this and assigns someone else your table. The trouble with removing the auto-tips is the waitstaff ends up with pretty much the same level of effort with a reduction in tips becaue you don't use your assigned table. And do realize, if you choose Select (anytime) dining, the auto-tips will be required to pay the gratuity prior to the cruise, so to cut way down on the hassle, choose Traditional dining, then immediately let the MDR know you aren't going to use the MDR at all and to remove you, then go and enjoy the buffet, specialty DR's...whatever.

From a subjective POV, seems like a mistake to miss on all the MDR experiences, but that is why there are so many choices.

Enjoy your cruise, and this suggestion is to minimize a negative impact on the waitstaff.

Edit: by the way, you referred to the thread deterioating into mahem - maybe I'm just use to the dress-code/gratuity/chair hog/smokers threads, but this seems quite easy to read and follow with minimal baiting, considering just about every one of your posts kept asking 'us' not to respond negatively, and most didn't, and those that provided a bit of a negative opinon weren't really that negative.

Den

At the Cova, as at Cafe al Bacio there are food waitstaff and drink waitstaff. When you order drinks there, you will see the gratuity added to the bill. When you order food, cookies, tapas, finger sandwiches, petit fours, or whatever, there is no bill, so no gratuity. Those staff, just as the staff at the Aqua Spa, the hamburger grill, the buffet and so forth, are made up of the same staff assigned to the bars and the dining rooms and specialty restaurants at night.

My point was that the OP will get food somewhere. Not going to the MDR for any meal does not mean that no one will be serving them their meals and snacks.

From Celebrity FAQ--

How much do I pay in gratuities?

Subject: Payments

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

My recollection was that laundry workers are covered under the "Other Service Personnel," but further research says that it goes to the Chief Housekeeper. Housekeeping, laundry, source of my misconception. Even if not, my original point way back was that by removing the autotip, someone may be overlooked if the OP chooses to hand out tips.

I'm fuzzy on exactly how the autotip works. You have an assigned steward or butler (and their assistant), and if you have traditional dining, you'll always have the same waiter, assistant, and maitre d'. Does the autotip go directly to those individuals? If select dining, is the waitstaff portion pooled, or do they track who the servers were for a particular night? It's been stated that tips are not pooled, yet the buffet workers are compensated out of the autotip. ("Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.") How does that work if it's not a pool? I can understand where the autotip could be pooled and divided amongst all the restaurant service staff, since it would be easier to "take an average" and divvy up the money accordingly, but is this actually done or not? If it's actually a pool, withholding the autotip will not keep the money from going into the pockets of the unused MDR staff, it will just mean a bit less money all around. If buffet workers do get something from the autotip, how is the OP planning on taking care of them?

From Celebrity FAQ--

My recollection was that laundry workers are covered under the "Other Service Personnel," but further research says that it goes to the Chief Housekeeper. Housekeeping, laundry, source of my misconception. Even if not, my original point way back was that by removing the autotip, someone may be overlooked if the OP chooses to hand out tips.

I'm fuzzy on exactly how the autotip works. You have an assigned steward or butler (and their assistant), and if you have traditional dining, you'll always have the same waiter, assistant, and maitre d'. Does the autotip go directly to those individuals? If select dining, is the waitstaff portion pooled, or do they track who the servers were for a particular night? It's been stated that tips are not pooled, yet the buffet workers are compensated out of the autotip. ("Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.") How does that work if it's not a pool? I can understand where the autotip could be pooled and divided amongst all the restaurant service staff, since it would be easier to "take an average" and divvy up the money accordingly, but is this actually done or not? If it's actually a pool, withholding the autotip will not keep the money from going into the pockets of the unused MDR staff, it will just mean a bit less money all around. If buffet workers do get something from the autotip, how is the OP planning on taking care of them?

Select dining is pooled, traditional is not..

Steve, you bring up excellent questions.

I'll just add that the buffet workers are the same people who work in the Main Dining Room at other times of the day. We often see our dinner headwaiter serving up salads at the lunch, or bacon and eggs at breakfast, and elsewhere in the buffet area at another time. I must say that I have never seen a dinner waiter manning the pasta bar, so perhaps those are personnel from the kitchen staff, but the wait staff is definitely on duty in the buffet at different times.

Happy Cruiser 6143, you are right on the money. As a side note, I have no respect for those who take umbrage at the very reasonable gratuity arrangement on the Celebrity ships.

Then you have no respect for me...no water off my back...and i don't mind at all.

We always remove auto tips...We also don't eat in MDR. Our room steward brings us our dinner and we tip him (and his assistant) and from what I gather (only from reading these message boards) he gives some of that tip to the "general fund" for the backstage workers. I will ask steward next time if he can "keep" any/all of the tip I give him.

Our room steward provides normal "room" duties, plus is our head waiter and assistant waiter...I don't think it is right to tip those 2 catagories if they are not a service I use...he gets all 3 tips (and if he chooses to, or has to give some/all of that to the general fund that is his choice)

So, dodger, you fast the rest of the day?

There's more to food on the cruise ship than just dinner. Do you go to the Gala Buffet? to the Aqua Spa buffet? To the chocolate extravaganza? Do you get pizza or ice cream? Do you stop by the Cafe al Bacio for a sweet?

Why do you think it right to keep the tips from going to the staff at the venues you use? That's what I don't understand.

Then you have no respect for me...no water off my back...and i don't mind at all.

We always remove auto tips...We also don't eat in MDR. Our room steward brings us our dinner and we tip him (and his assistant) and from what I gather (only from reading these message boards) he gives some of that tip to the "general fund" for the backstage workers. I will ask steward next time if he can "keep" any/all of the tip I give him.

Our room steward provides normal "room" duties, plus is our head waiter and assistant waiter...I don't think it is right to tip those 2 catagories if they are not a service I use...he gets all 3 tips (and if he chooses to, or has to give some/all of that to the general fund that is his choice)

All three meals you do this.......His tip does not go to backstage workers....

With all the wonderful service we receive from all areas of the cruise staff it would NEVER occur to me to remove auto tips. IF I had a problem with a staff person I would report it but that has never happened. To remove auto tips disadvantages the staff who work directly and indirectly so hard to make your vacation enjoyable.

Well, you can't have been reading the boards too carefully if you think that your room steward will get to keep the tips you give him when you remove the auto tip. He is required to turn it in. And I find it hard to believe that you don't eat the rest of the day.

The reason I asked is that we will not be eating in the main dining room, nada zip zilch, ever on the cruise. Just the way we are and thats our decision. I do understand that the staff in the main dining room also put in hours in other parts of the ship so this is something we will have to decide upon closer to the date.

Pete

Pete

We now never eat in the MDR but we choose "Select Dining" so that we do not inconvenience anyone [other guests/wait staff] who may be waiting for us to turn up at our table. We therefore pre-pay our gratuities but would not dream of trying to reclaim part for the reasons other have stated.

As you never plan to eat in the MDR, and I guess from your question that you have not selected "Select Dining", I hope that you will notify the Maitre d' not to expect you at the table allocated to you on embarkation.

Sue

Have already posted question on other thread, but no reply, therefore try here again :

If we book through TA who offers "free gratuities", i.e. gratuities already included in special cruise price, can we be assured that staff receives exactly same amount of tips as if we would be charged the gratuities directly ?

Have already posted question on other thread, but no reply, therefore try here again :

If we book through TA who offers "free gratuities", i.e. gratuities already included in special cruise price, can we be assured that staff receives exactly same amount of tips as if we would be charged the gratuities directly ?

Yes, the TA "pre-pays" your tips to the cruise line...Celebrity does no know the difference...it is pre-paid like anyone opting for this option before they travel...we do it often...

We prepaid our gratuities and I was never sure that the cabin steward and her assistant knew we had, as she did kind of hint at tips on quite a few occasions.

Just my two cents. When I went of the Equinox I ate zero meals in the MDR. I left my auto tips in place. I gave an additional tip to my cabin steward who did a fine job. Why you may ask didn't it bother me to pay the auto tips? The reason is that I did eat every single day on the ship and the food was served to me by someone. Workers waited on me in the buffet, they delivered food to my cabin, they served me a burger at the grill, etc. etc. I didn't bring my own food and eat it in the cabin. Auto tips started on another cruise line and the main reason they did it was to provide a somewhat fairer way to reward many workers. While I don't know if laundry workers get part of the cut, I do know that the hard working people who flip burgers at the grill, make pizza in the buffet, scoop ice cream, deliver room service, and numerous other jobs all get a cut of the tip money. I'm sure some get more and some get less. I think they deserve this compensation. You have to make your own decisions, but look at everyone who waits on you day to day, not just the waiter and asst. waiter in the MDR.

I want to tip the people who provide my service...my question, 7 day cruise, 1 day at sea 5 days in port.

On sea day we would eat in buffet for lunch...otherwise, every other day we have dinner in room brought to us by room steward, no breakfast or lunch on ship.

So I'm supposed to tip, according to many on this board, the waiter/assis waiter/dining room management $13 per day, for the 2 of us, for providing service to others...Currently I pay this (and more) to directly to my room steward. I know the behind the scenes people need tipped and I am happy to do that if the "other service personnel" doesn't cover that.

So flame away, but I would appreciate constructive comments about my tipping.

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Archived