How are the beds on NCL?

FINTUCKYFARMS

This will be our 4th cruise and I am wondering how the beds compare to beds on other cruise lines. So far IMHO, Princess is worst, then Royal then Holland as the best. We are considering NCL for our next cruise as they are a few hundred dollars cheaper then Holland but if the beds are not comfortable, I would rather spend the extra $$$$.

This will be our 4th cruise and I am wondering how the beds compare to beds on other cruise lines. So far IMHO, Princess is worst, then Royal then Holland as the best. We are considering NCL for our next cruise as they are a few hundred dollars cheaper then Holland but if the beds are not comfortable, I would rather spend the extra $$$$.

I've been on both Holland and NCL. I could tell a difference between the beds. Slept like better on both than I do at home. :D

I cannot compare them to other lines because I haven't sailed anything but NCL.

Tough question that has a good and bad answer. We had a new bed on the star and it was heavenly. Some have said they had the old style on the Star and had to request an eggcrate topper, so I take it they didn't change all of them during drydock.

So to answer your question, it depends on the ship and the cabin you are in.

I agree with another poster that I am not sure if it is the ship's slight rock, the sea air or the excitement of being on the ship, but I have slept excellent on each and every cruise I have been on with NCL. I have been in every type of cabin category too and it seemed to have no impact with my great sleep. NCL has memory foam toppers which I love because I am accustomed too a memory foam bed. But this is a tough one to answer for each and every individual because everyone has different preferences to be able to give a general answer. On another note, the white puffy comfortors or soft sheets they use may also be a key role in the general sleep experience.

We found the our bed on the Sky to be much better than Coral Princess. We had a suite on the Jade, and the bed was wonderful. Our most recent cruise on the Star had the firmest beds I have ever seen; no one in our group had the newer beds. They were rock hard, and we finally got an eggcrate topper (my 85 year old mother had to have two put on her bed). But even with the bad experience on the Star, the bed was at least level and did not have the typical "anti-intimacy bump" that the Princess beds have.

I was pleasantly surprised on our recent cruise on the GEM. The bed was amazingly comfortable. It felt firm yet it still felt very plush. It was better than ANY hotel beds that I can remember.

We both slept VERY well - and considering we don't sleep that well at home - it was a great thing!

I have heard that the beds are a bit short on length for taller people. Can anyone comment on if they are lacking foot room on the Epic specifically or is this just a factor of how the beds are slightly rounded to match the curvature of the room?

The Epic beds can be moved away from the wall to accommodate taller individuals. That's what some tall people on our roll call did and they had no issues with the length.

i got an egg carton topper last year on the SUN and slept well after that...on the STAR this year i didnt have one and slept well too.

i think several of the ships have changed their beds...i know the SUN was in the process of it this year, so hopefully i wont need a topper in Dec.

but overall other than sometimes you can tell where the beds are together so no middle sleeping the beds have been fine.

I loved my bed on the Jewel! My friend and I both referred to our beds as "the clouds" because with all the pillows and cushy linens and the fluffy comforters it was like sleeping on a cloud. On 2 occasions we sat down to watch tv before an activity or meal and woke up hours later. The sneaky beds sent us right off to sleep!

On our last couple of cruises NCLs have been very similar to HAL. HAL has one feature I wish all cruise lines had: at the headboard there is a speaker control: you can turn the TV on I think or whatever, but the one thing that I know I liked was the control for announcements. It used to be, every announcement came blarring into our cabins, then after so many people complained (on all lines) the PA system only worked in the public areas so some annoucements you may have wanted to hear you couldn't. On HAL it was up to you to decide.

Oh, someone mentioned the beds on the Sun, yes, they were hard as rocks, but I am guessing they have been upgraded just like the rest of NCL ships. I hope anyway, we are sailing her in Feb.

NIta

On one of my last cruises (not NCL), I requested an egg crate topper in advance through the special needs department and it was on the bed when we got to our cabin. It was very comfortable! I've already requested one through the special needs dept. via email for my first NCL cruise and promptly received a reply stating that they are forwarding my request to the ship for my sailing. I just like that extra cush on top....

I know you can request one when you get there, but I prefer to ask in advance, then let them know how much I appreciate the customer service. :)

Archived