NCL bring alcohol aboard?

furrrball

No. You are allowed to bring on as much wine as you like. You will pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee that will be charged to your onboard account. A sticker will be placed on each bottle where the corkage is paid and then you can enjoy the wine ANYWHERE on the ship including restaurants, specialty restaurants, bars, lounges, your cabin etc.

Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

I have no problem with NCL's corkage policy. It allows me to bring wines from my own cellar to enjoy on vacation. The corkage fee offsets the lack of profits that NCL will make because I am bringing my own wine. RCCL doesn't allow you to bring ANYTHING; Celebrity allows two bottles per cabin and the corkage fee is $25 a bottle. Carnival -- one bottle of wine only -- and the corkage is $20 or $25 (can't remember). Holland America allows you to bring unlimited amounts and the corkage is $18 a bottle. Can't remember what the corkage is on Princess but I believe it is either $15 or $18 a bottle.

I have no problem with NCL's corkage policy. It allows me to bring wines from my own cellar to enjoy on vacation. The corkage fee offsets the lack of profits that NCL will make because I am bringing my own wine. RCCL doesn't allow you to bring ANYTHING; Celebrity allows two bottles per cabin and the corkage fee is $25 a bottle. Carnival -- one bottle of wine only -- and the corkage is $20 or $25 (can't remember). Holland America allows you to bring unlimited amounts and the corkage is $18 a bottle. Can't remember what the corkage is on Princess but I believe it is either $15 or $18 a bottle.

HAL And Princess allow unlimited wine and don't charge corkage unless you bring it to the main dining room. If you drink it in your room, there is no corkage.

HAL And Princess allow unlimited wine and don't charge corkage unless you bring it to the main dining room. If you drink it in your room, there is no corkage.

My above post was referring to corkage for bringing wine into the main dining rooms. NCL is the only line that charges you to bring onboard.

My above post was referring to corkage for bringing wine into the main dining rooms. NCL is the only line that charges you to bring onboard.

I prefer it to Carnival, where they only allow you to bring one bottle (for free), and not give the option of paying corkage on more.

I prefer it to Carnival, where they only allow you to bring one bottle (for free), and not give the option of paying corkage on more.

I am going to say it again -- I have no problem whatsoever with NCL's policy and am thankful that I can enjoy the kind of wines that I bring onboard for a small corkage fee.

Back to Carnival: If you take that bottle into a Carnival dining room, you will be charged corkage. I know that people say they have never been charged but we have each and every time.

From Carnival's tiocket contract:

f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse.

What about a box wine. Will they charge corkage fee for a Bota box?

NCL's policy:

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: It's allowed, but you'll have to pay a corkage fee for wine that is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant or public area. Fees are $15 for 750ml bottles, $20 for 1,000ml and $30 for 1,500ml. Boxed wine is not allowed.

I have to say, I'm currently on Star and the first night in the dining room they offered us 20 % off any bottle and I bought a beautiful Beaujolais for $22! That's tough to beat even with carrying it on yourself. Bought a couple and they let me take it back to the room.

I will admit to having a wee bit in our checked baggage that made it aboard also. Shhhh......:D

I am going to say it again -- I have no problem whatsoever with NCL's policy and am thankful that I can enjoy the kind of wines that I bring onboard for a small corkage fee.

Back to Carnival: If you take that bottle into a Carnival dining room, you will be charged corkage. I know that people say they have never been charged but we have each and every time.

From Carnival's tiocket contract:

f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse.

I agree, each company has their own policy but I am fine with NCL. Of coruse I wish we could bring a couple bottles for consumption in our cabins, but it isn't a make or break situation. Heck, when you pay a couple of Thousand dollars or more for your cruise what difference does it make if you are charged $60 for 4 bottles of wine. BTW, they can be 1.5 liters as well.

NIta

NCL's policy:

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: It's allowed, but you'll have to pay a corkage fee for wine that is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant or public area. Fees are $15 for 750ml bottles, $20 for 1,000ml and $30 for 1,500ml. Boxed wine is not allowed.

Do you know anyone that has ever been stopped for bringing it on board? BTW, I know the policy is $30 for a 1.5 liter, but again, do you know anyone that has been charged that? I don't.

NIta

Don't bother bringing water. The water on the ship is filtered using reverse osmosis and is as good, if not better, than any water you'll find in a bottle.

I don't know if this is a case of the water being so good it's sinful, but my wife was getting upset stomach until she switched to bottled water. Maybe the reverse osmosis works too well??

You may want to bring a couple liters of water if you think you have an overly sensitive stomach. I'm not knocking NCL's water, just giving you our experience.

Do you know anyone that has ever been stopped for bringing it on board? BTW, I know the policy is $30 for a 1.5 liter, but again, do you know anyone that has been charged that? I don't.

NIta

I read the policy posted on CC and it said there was a different fee for different sizes, but I just got this off the NCL website...

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard. These will be subject to a $15 corkage fee regardless of size.

NIta

We got called to the naughty room on the Epic for a box of wine in our suitcase, they let us take it for $15 corkage fee.

NIta

The policy on NCL is $15 per BOTTLE of wine - no matter the size.

This is from NCL.COM:

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard. These will be subject to a $15 corkage fee regardless of size.

Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

Archived