HAL's answers to Retreat Cabana queries

English_in_Spain

There have been a few threads recently about retreat cabanas. We are looking at booking one on Eurodam for next April and had a few questions.

I emailed HAL Ship’s Services and have received a reply email from them so I thought I would post a summary here as it answers a lot of people’s recent queries.

1. The correct email address of Ship Services is HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com (there are 2 underscores not a hyphen)

2. The retreat cabanas on the Eurodam are slightly smaller than those on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Nieuw Amsterdam 13’ x 8’; Eurodam 11’-5” x 8’.

For the family cabanas Nieuw Amsterdam 17’ x 12’-6”; Eurodam 15’3” x 12’-6”

3. Current (2011/2012) pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabanas

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $45.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $75.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $299.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $399.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $499.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $599.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Family Cabanas

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $65.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $115.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $449.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $599.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $749.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $899.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

4. The Retreat Cabanas have lounge chairs not table and chairs. The public retreat area does have regular chairs.

5. All cabanas are wheelchair accessible and non-smoking.

6. Family retreat Cabanas can hold up to 4 adults but any guests can reserve them.

I have sent them another email to confirm a couple of points

If there are only loungers in the cabanas, why do some photos of the cabanas show table and chairs?

If we book the cabana for the entire cruise can we ask for table and chairs and one lounger instead of 2 loungers?

You say the cabanas are non-smoking. What about the retreat area in general (ie outside the cabanas). Are there non-smoking signs up there? Is the non-smoking strictly enforced by the staff?

I will post again when I get answers on these

There have been a few threads recently about retreat cabanas. We are looking at booking one on Eurodam for next April and had a few questions.

I emailed HAL Ship’s Services and have received a reply email from them so I thought I would post a summary here as it answers a lot of people’s recent queries.

1. The correct email address of Ship Services is HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com (there are 2 underscores not a hyphen)

2. The retreat cabanas on the Eurodam are slightly smaller than those on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Nieuw Amsterdam 13’ x 8’; Eurodam 11’-5” x 8’.

For the family cabanas Nieuw Amsterdam 17’ x 12’-6”; Eurodam 15’3” x 12’-6”

3. Current (2011/2012) pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabanas

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $45.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $75.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $299.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $399.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $499.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $599.00

Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

Cabana Club/Retreat Family Cabanas

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — port day $65.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana per day — sea day $115.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 7 days $449.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 10 days $599.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 15 days $749.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — up to 20 days $899.00

Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package — over 20 days call for pricing

4. The Retreat Cabanas have lounge chairs not table and chairs. The public retreat area does have regular chairs.

5. All cabanas are wheelchair accessible and non-smoking.

6. Family retreat Cabanas can hold up to 4 adults but any guests can reserve them.

If there are only loungers in the cabanas, why do some photos of the cabanas show table and chairs?

If we book the cabana for the entire cruise can we ask for table and chairs and one lounger instead of 2 loungers?

You say the cabanas are non-smoking. What about the retreat area in general (ie outside the cabanas). Are there non-smoking signs up there? Is the non-smoking strictly enforced by the staff?

I will post again when I get answers on these

It is great news that all cabanas are non-smoking! :):):)

There definitely is a small round table and two chairs as well as two loungers in the Retreat Cabanas - at least on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We had one this past May during our Med cruise - loved it! We did not see anyone smoking, but also did not notice any signs regarding smoking - that doesn't mean they weren't there - I just didn't notice any.

This may be true on the Eurodam, but unless the tables and chairs have been removed from the N.A. since last Oct, all of the aft-facing ones have them. When I zoom-in on the full resolution copy of this picture they are clearly visible. Would you like me send you a copy to send to HAL? :D

2896255450099632937S600x600Q85.jpg

There definitely is a small round table and two chairs as well as two loungers in the Retreat Cabanas - at least on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We had one this past May during our Med cruise - loved it! We did not see anyone smoking, but also did not notice any signs regarding smoking - that doesn't mean they weren't there - I just didn't notice any.

I don't have any pictures of the Retreat Cabanas on the Eurodam.

But I did take pictures of Club Cabana on the Eurodam at the end of November / beginning of December and there was a table and chairs in them.

0102.JPG

I don't have any pictures of the Retreat Cabanas on the Eurodam.

But I did take pictures of Club Cabana on the Eurodam at the end of November / beginning of December and there was a table and chairs in them.

0102.JPG

But Club Cabana is on Nieuw Amsterdam not Eurodam :confused: Are you sure these photos are of Eurodam?

On our last cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam there were a few people smoking in the Cabana Club, both in the cabana and the open area. The stewards said the cabana was your own area and you could do whatever you wanted. I didn't see anyone complain or have any problems. Maybe there is enough of a breeze to clear the smoke and smell away quickly. YMMV.

You know that there is also a smoking area outside the double doors coming from the elevator area on deck 11. The ashtray is hanging on the railing right outside the doors, facing the Cabana Club.

On our last cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam there were a few people smoking in the Cabana Club, both in the cabana and the open area. The stewards said the cabana was your own area and you could do whatever you wanted. I didn't see anyone complain or have any problems. Maybe there is enough of a breeze to clear the smoke and smell away quickly. YMMV.

You know that there is also a smoking area outside the double doors coming from the elevator area on deck 11. The ashtray is hanging on the railing right outside the doors, facing the Cabana Club.

Disgusting... HAL, get your act together. :(

No smoking "IN" the cabana, but you are permitted to smoke in the Retreat area; outside of the cabanas but at the loungers and tables what are outside of the cabanas. Again, If anyone is using these loungers I always ask if the smoke will bother them. It is only polite.

No smoking "IN" the cabana, but you are permitted to smoke in the Retreat area; outside of the cabanas but at the loungers and tables what are outside of the cabanas. Again, If anyone is using these loungers I always ask if the smoke will bother them. It is only polite.

Bravo! My wife is a smoker but she shows the same courtesy.

I have received another email from Ship Services regarding Eurodam's Retreat Cabanas. Their comments relate to the Eurodam. The Nieuw Amsterdam Cabana Club may, of course, be different.

They say "The entire area is non-smoking and is enforced".

Also the Retreat Cabanas on the Eurodam have loungers not chair and tables.

I have just had an email from Ship Services changing what they told me previously

While discussing your inquiries with the ship, we currently do allow smoking at the Retreat Cabana area since it is considered open deck. I do apologize for the incorrect information given previously.

I thought I would let you know this update. I am sure the smokers will be pleased by this. For us, it means we will not spend $599 to rent a cabana for our 20 day cruise.

I have just had an email from Ship Services changing what they told me previously

While discussing your inquiries with the ship, we currently do allow smoking at the Retreat Cabana area since it is considered open deck. I do apologize for the incorrect information given previously.

I thought I would let you know this update. I am sure the smokers will be pleased by this. For us, it means we will not spend $599 to rent a cabana for our 20 day cruise.

Perhaps this policy will change in January when smoking becomes more restricted on deck ? ;) I just reserved my cabana for my cruise next summer.

Perhaps this policy will change in January when smoking becomes more restricted on deck ? ;) I just reserved my cabana for my cruise next summer.

You might be cutting off your nose to spite your face. the area is so open and breezy that if anyone does smoke it will disperse in the breeze before you can smell it.

It is not a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face. I am not prepared to gamble $600 on the chance whether I may or not be able to smell smoke. What if the breeze that you speak of does not blow the smoke away from my cabana but towards and into it? If I spend that money and then find we have a smoker outside our cabana there will be nothing we will be able to do about it.

As I have said previously, I know how smokers feel. They want to have areas where they can sit and relax and still smoke. I have no problem with that. As long as I know where those areas are beforehand I can choose whether or not to go there.

What I do not like is to go somewhere that is supposed to be non-smoking and people ignore or are not aware of the rules and still smoke. Ships Services firstly said that the whole area was definitely non-smoking. It was only when posters on CC said they smoked there that I asked SS for assurances that it was non-smoking. It was only then that I got the above revised information. If I had not kept on at them we would have rented the cabana for 20 days and then found out.

Perhaps they could make one side of the retreat smoking and one non-smoking. It is only the communal area that is smoking not the cabanas. Perhaps some seating could be assigned as a smoking zone.

It is not a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face. I am not prepared to gamble $600 on the chance whether I may or not be able to smell smoke. What if the breeze that you speak of does not blow the smoke away from my cabana but towards and into it? If I spend that money and then find we have a smoker outside our cabana there will be nothing we will be able to do about it.

As I have said previously, I know how smokers feel. They want to have areas where they can sit and relax and still smoke. I have no problem with that. As long as I know where those areas are beforehand I can choose whether or not to go there.

What I do not like is to go somewhere that is supposed to be non-smoking and people ignore or are not aware of the rules and still smoke. Ships Services firstly said that the whole area was definitely non-smoking. It was only when posters on CC said they smoked there that I asked SS for assurances that it was non-smoking. It was only then that I got the above revised information. If I had not kept on at them we would have rented the cabana for 20 days and then found out.

Perhaps they could make one side of the retreat smoking and one non-smoking. It is only the communal area that is smoking not the cabanas. Perhaps some seating could be assigned as a smoking zone.

Even designating one side of the Retreat area to be smoking may not solve the problem. There is no guarantee which way the wind will blow.

Archived