what location would YOU suggest for a smoking lounge?

cruisestitch

The other thread about smoking in the Sky lounge during the Elite cocktail hour got me to thinking -- what other indoor location would be suitable for a smoking lounge on each class of ship -- C class? M class? and S class?

The only place that has come to mind is to ditch the teen age area (most teens don't/won't use it and that seems to be a completely under-used spot on every ship I've been on) and turn that into the smoking lounge, but I'm sure that there would be problems with that idea on each class of ship.

No smart remarks like "throw the smokers in the ocean" please. I have also objected to the smoke in the Sky area but haven't really been able to come up with a place I could suggest that makes sense. Any ideas?

Solstice-- Quasar.

Millennium-- Convert the Acupuncture area on deck 7, but that eliminates a revenue-producing area, so I doubt they'd do that. Possibly take a level from the Library on either deck 8 or 9.

Century-- Convert either the Card Room or the Teen Disco.

Disclaimer-- off the top of my head. Haven't thought out all the ramifications, but might spur other ideas.

There should not be any more indoor smoking areas.

In Illinois there is no indoor smoking in public buildings including restuarants, hotels and office buildings. I believe this is true in various other states and might even be true in some countries. The trend is headed that way over time.

Staying a cruise ship doesn't need to be any different and there are covered outdoor places on board one can smoke if it is raining and they can't wait until it stops.

I think the time has come to eliminate smoking in any indoor area where there is any event or entertainment where a non-smoker who has a problem with smoke would want to be.

I'd guess that this change is inevitable as time passes. I beleive it is just as matter of when it will be adopted.

In Illinois there is no indoor smoking in public buildings including restuarants, hotels and office buildings. I believe this is true in various other states and might even be true in some countries. The trend is headed that way over time.

Staying a cruise ship doesn't need to be any different and there are covered outdoor places on board one can smoke if it is raining and they can't wait until it stops.

I think the time has come to eliminate smoking in any indoor area where there is any event or entertainment where a non-smoker who has a problem with smoke would want to be.

I'd guess that this change is inevitable as time passes. I beleive it is just as matter of when it will be adopted.

Correct, they have a right to smoke, I have a right not to breath it.

John

It's bee six or eight years since all indoor smoking has been banned here in Quebec. It's the same (as far as I know) all over Canada.

As to the OP's question, as a few have said, anywhere that is completely isolated and vented away from indoor and out door open space/balcony air.

I am not qualified to suggest to "X" where that would be.

Same in California. Been that way for over a decade. Plus, smoking is not allowed within 20 feet of an entrance or an open window of any public building.

As a long time resident of this state, I am thrilled to see some of my favorite foreign countries now restricting smoking in public areas. Makes travelling so much more enjoyable for someone who has had the benefit of smoke free environments for so many years. I remember asking for the non-smoking section in a bistro in Paris several years ago. The waiter looked around until he found an area where people were not smoking at the time. He deemed it the non-smoking area. That is, until the next guests sat down at a nearby table and immediately lit up. Cough, cough. Our meal quickly became a race to eat before we couldn't breath any longer.

Since the piano entertainers will soon be gone from all Celebrity ships, I would suggest the original lounge designed for smoking: Michael's Club.

Since the mid-1990s, every ship Celebrity has launched has included a lounge called Michael's Club. Named for Michael Chandris (part of the family that founded Celebrity in 1989), the club was originally a cigar bar

Please, let's not get into the "there shouldn't be any indoor smoking venue" discussion. As the OP, I'm going to try to bring this back into focus.

Given, that Celebrity wants to provide an indoor space for smokers

Given, that many of us would like to have this place be somewhere other than the place used for the Elite breakfast and cocktail hours

Where, please, can we suggest?

I like the idea of Quasar on S-class ships, which I found under-used and not very inviting. The venting might be a small problem, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. However, assuming it would have a door on it, every time the door opened the smoke would enter the other public areas, so I'm a bit skeptical that Quasar could be made to work.

I think that some of the Acupuncture places are being converted to Internet places, so I don't think that would work.

The library is in the center of the ship, so again, the venting would be a difficulty.

Seriously, if we can't come up with a suggestion that would be feasible, it will be difficult to have a meaningful conversation with Celebrity about this.

I feel that there is need for a dedicated space where no other non-smoking events are held. On RCCL' Freedom Class there is a dedicated cigar lounge with its own ventilation system. When you open the door to enter the lounge no smoke smell untill you actually enter the lounge. When sailing on the Solstice , on our particular cruise, the wine bar was empty most of the time. It would be great if they could update the venting and add a door to that venue. Wine is still available in other venues for non smokers and and smokers could indulge and enjoy without bothering others.

Okay, a smoker (from Illinois) chiming in.... and I agree. I don't smoke in my house and am very glad that I no longer have to come home from bars and restaurants smelling like smoke. I try to be a considerate smoker, so give me a few convenient spots outside and I'll be happy. Unfortunately, I've only sailed Celebrity once and that was too many years back to make a suggestion.

Please, let's not get into the "there shouldn't be any indoor smoking venue" discussion. As the OP, I'm going to try to bring this back into focus.

Given, that many of us would like to have this place be somewhere other than the place used for the Elite breakfast and cocktail hours

I like the idea of Quasar on S-class ships, which I found under-used and not very inviting. The venting might be a small problem, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. However, assuming it would have a door on it, every time the door opened the smoke would enter the other public areas, so I'm a bit skeptical that Quasar could be made to work.

I think that some of the Acupuncture places are being converted to Internet places, so I don't think that would work.

The library is in the center of the ship, so again, the venting would be a difficulty.

Seriously, if we can't come up with a suggestion that would be feasible, it will be difficult to have a meaningful conversation with Celebrity about this.

OP - just about every smoking or dress code or smuggling thread starts with the OP asking no one to say anything negative, but to just answer their question.....doesn't work. Part of the legitimate discussion is whether the question is legit. In your case you want to find another place for indoor smoking, and a legit response is, there shouldn't be any. So my input is, any location that Isn't on a Celebrity ship! Ha!

Now after lecturing you and giving a stupid response: having cruised on Princess and walked by the cigar room, unless the ship designs an 'airlock' type entry with double-doors and a negative airflow into the smoking room, the smoke not only gets out, it permeates the surronding areas. I'm not a 'I detected a slight smell of smoke and will go crazy over it' type, but we avoided any chance of walking by that area on Princess ships. it was very strong and you knew it got on you. So turning some large area into a smoking room has some major problems.

I don't see turning some area such as Quasar, so maybe one of the conference rooms on the lower deck. Cut one in half, add its own circulation system and work it that way. I agree using the Sky Lounge is bad, but if you set up some indoor area that doesn't have a bar, music, view and so on, its almost useless, and only used in inclement weather, which may be the solution. Have a small area for only smoking without any other real amenities that can be used when outdoors doesn't work out that day.

Not trying to cause smokers more troubles, but the trend is to remove these types of venues. So I'll stick with not having one, or setting up a small area to accommodate limited smoking indoors.

Den

I am not clear why there is this drive to make X another smoker's cruise line. Why not have no smoking at all, there are plenty of other cruise lines which cater for smokers.

Excuse me, but I have to chime in. I'm not asking the cruise line to 'cater' to me, but to allow me to smoke somewhere that won't bother others. I wish I was perfect and had no annoying habits that bother other cruisers, but I'm not and I choose to sail Celebrity. One other line (Carnival?) actually had a ship that was non-smoking, they wouldn't even let the workers building it smoke. I read a couple of years later that they scrapped the idea and were allowing smoking on it.

Thank you, cruisestitch. I commend you in your attempt at keeping the thread on focus. You know as well as I do, however, that it just ain't gonna happen. There are those who see "smoking" in a title, and it's like waving a red flag in their face. Another opportunity to climb on the ole' soapbox.:rolleyes:

I, too, vote for Michael's Club. After all, it's what it was originally meant for.

At this point, we know that a ship which bans smoking completely isn't economically viable. It's been tried and it failed. Maybe sometime in the future, but it won't happen for quite a while. We know that some people want to smoke while on vacation. We know that many of us don't want to share the location used for the Elite events with smokers. We know that there are some itineraries which visit cold, damp, chilly, wet and windy places, to the extent that sometimes the deck areas are closed and not accessible to passengers, so there must be at least one indoor area in which smokers are allowed to light up. If we, who cruise frequently, can't come up with a viable area, it's hard to imagine that Celebrity would be willing to consider any change to the current plan. That's all I'm sayin' :)

Should only be allowed on the rear of the ship outdoors only, I'm from California & cannot comprehend smoking being allowed indoors. I'd love for them to make some aft balconies smoking & charge a bit extra for them. It would solve the problem of the smoking sneakers that so many of us have endured.

I should add, I'd be fine with Michael's club allowing cigar smoking only, no cigarettes, it is what it was designed for, & was very nice.

Why?? Like it or not there is NO viable place for indoor smoking.So how can there possibly be a way to have a meaningful conversation about it?

I totally agree with the previous poster. I too am not perfect but am considerate. Recently I was on the Solstice and adhered to all of the smoking rules and there is a small area in the Sky Lounge.If not mistaken there is Oceania cruise line that is strictly non smoking.

Archived