what location would YOU suggest for a smoking lounge?

cruisestitch

Good idea!

No one else picked up on this idea, but it was just what I was thinking. It would be a nice place for smokers and allow the rest of us to enjoy the sky lounge also. If it ever came to the point when no inside smoking was allowed, Celebrity could just take down the glass enclosure.

I am no arcitect/engineer, but I would guess that such a glass enclosure would not be cheap, and such a ventilation system to cover it adequately would be even less cheap. I don't think X would be too keen on the fact that they may have to "just take it down" - considering the cost to put it up.

I love these smoking threads... I'm like Denny - a holy roller former smoker!!:D

The comment - a smokefree ship is not economically viable, it has been tried and failed! When? Nearly a decade ago! Where? Carnival! Hack, Hack... Times change! I remember when the restaurant bar industry ashore screamed, "If you ban indoor smoking, we'll fail!" (Didn't happen.) The place where the economics of the smoking debate gets real confusing is Medicare/Social Security... Smokers are expensive to Medicare, but cheaper for Social Security (they don't last).

On ships... There always MSC!

And the nostalgia for old time cruising... Ahh... The dining rooms of yesteryear were finer... What with every third person lighting up!? Who could taste the food?

Yah - I'm terrible! Jeez, I can smell it in a closed car when a smoking driver ahead or aside me is stopped with open window and arm hanging.

But its tough being a smoker these days, getting painted into a corner - outside - top of the mast! And taking all this hassle! You gotta have thick skin... as hard and tough as your bronchi!:D

I'm sorry I don't understand your response. I was just answering the OP's question. The question was not about health and safety.

Cynthia

FYI I have never smoked in my life and my main reason for choosing Celebrity is their strict policy on smoking.

The point I was making is that a glass enclosure still allowing a view would be a hazard, especially in a venue with a dance floor and used as a night club with dim lighting.

Phil

There was a town hall type meeting a few months ago with the president of NCL fielding questions and the smoking issue was brought up. He said, in essence, that NCL would never restrict smoking because it does not work. He referenced the Carnival Paradise. This was right out of the horse's mouth, so to speak. Probably a month after that, NCL did change their smoking policy. I wonder what catastrophic event changed his mind? Though not as restrictive as X, anything would have been an improvement.

Let's see... $5 a pack... Banned indoor just about everywhere (and reminents dwindling), being banned Outdoors - under consideration in many places...

So - you think X is going to invest heavily in indoor dedicated smoking space on its ships? REALLY?? What part of this progression do you not get? Are you listening or dreaming?:D

Wake up and smell the roses!;)

Given the increase in additional cost venues, if there was to be a change it could be the first speciality bar on Celebrity. $40 per day to use the bar seems to be going rate. And a $15 packet fee (like corkage) for smoking your own pack.

As a new earner, expect it to be a late addition to Reflection :)

To be quite honest, I don't see it being able to be done, especially on cabin decks, because they would have to install some sort of air filtration system, which is expensive, and might be impossible structurally speaking. Those who don't smoke, and would have cabins on that smoking deck, would have smoke pouring out into the hallways every time someone opened a door.

Face it, smoke travels, and no matter where you might think it would work, it probably won't because of the air recycling needed. No matter where you sit in the one indoor smoking area on every ship, you still smell smoke.

I totally agree with the previous poster. I too am not perfect but am considerate. Recently I was on the Solstice and adhered to all of the smoking rules and there is a small area in the Sky Lounge.If not mistaken there is Oceania cruise line that is strictly non smoking.

You're mistaken, their smoking policy is similar to Celebrity's, one outdoor area and one area in a lounge.

It won't be long now till I expect to see that padlock.

But there's a problem with the solution proposed by Phoenix Dream:

"I think in the interim they should prohibit smoking in the Sky Lounge during the Elite event. At least that way smokers have a venue for most of the time, and Elite members do not have to deal with the smoke during their short cocktail hour." and that problem is simply what do they do about an Elite member who wishes to smoke during the cocktail hour?

If the entire Sky Lounge could be non-smoking all the time, then that Elite member would recognize that smoking is not allowed there, as it would also not be allowed at Rendezvous or Cellar Masters or elsewhere and would not smoke.

But if that is the designated indoor smoking area, it seems rather strange to say to that Elite member that he/she could smoke there all day long EXCEPT at the Elite event?

That's the situation I would like to see eliminated -- but without an alternative indoor smoking area, I don't see a solution.....

Since the Sky Lounge is a designated smoking area, have the Elite cocktail hour for non-smokers in another venue.

Would not be efficacious, since the Sky Lounge is utilized when there are a plethora of elites. As I indicated previously, I have attended many happy hours at this venue; and, I do not recall being bothered from smokers on the other side of the lounge. It could be that there were only a paucity in the way of the aforesaid during the 5-7 time frame.

Since the Sky Lounge is a designated smoking area, have the Elite cocktail hour for non-smokers in another venue.

the Sky lounge is used not only for the Elite event but for other Captains Club events (Captains Club Celebration and Sr. Officers Reception) and occasionally for the Cruise Critic Connections Party (if there is a large group).

In addition to being the party band/dance venue at night it is used for several other "party" type special events some of which are more like shows, including the entertainment staff singers and dancers, and some of which are more guest oriented such as the 50's or 80's night.

So this venue has a lot of interest for a lot of people.

In addition to being the party band/dance venue at night it is used for several other "party" type special events some of which are more like shows, including the entertainment staff singers and dancers, and some of which are more guest oriented such as the 50's or 80's night.

Unfortunately the Band that plays there is very close to the smokers. I was told by the singers on the Inaugural Solstice Cruise that they are seriously affected by the smoke as they perform.

The real problem is a very ineffectual ventilation system that circulates the smoke rather than venting it. The result is venting pax.;)

The real problem is a very ineffectual ventilation system that circulates the smoke rather than venting it. The result is venting pax.;)

LOL! Your'e right about the ventilation, but the chances that X will invest heavily in a dying institution (i.e. indoor smoking venues), by putting in a good ventilation system, is slim to none.

I can't imagine any scenario that would encourage X to dedicate indoor space for smokers. There are few airports that offer smoking lounges. We never went on the smoke free Carnival because it was Carnival. X gets our $ due to it's smoking policy on balconies.

Just got off the Connie & found the Sky Lounge unusable at times due to smoking from basically only a few people! For example, the combo Select/Elite event filled this area, the only seats available were over by the smoking area. The event coordinator directed us over there as we were standing with our food, when we told her there was smoking over there & we did not want to be exposed, she seemed surprised & said she didn't think of that! The events at night were similarly smokey, so we could only stay so long. We also don't understand why smoking is allowed in the aft buffet dining area. People are trying to eat after all.

As far as using Michael's Club, it was SRO every night, as Perry Grant was the entertainer. I'm positive smokers in there would have been strung up.;)

As far as using Michael's Club, it was SRO every night, as Perry Grant was the entertainer. I'm positive smokers in there would have been strung up.;)

That's true now but Celebrity is in the process of cancelling/not renewing the contracts of all piano entertainers and, as the other M-class ships are homogenized with S-class amenities, beer pubs without entertainers will be the norm. Since Connie is half way through the process, she will be the last to have the piano removed. Perry has already stated he will not stay with Connie when she begins the 4 & 5 day cruises at the end of 2012. If you are looking for an indoor location to be used for smokers, Michael's is still the only location originally designed for that purpose. Any other location involves the distribution of food on occasion. You will find few North American locations that still allow smoking and food.

Why even have this discussion now? Have there been demands for a change in policy? Is there active corporate discussion on this topic? Are there any factual evidence that demonstrates that the current policy is either hurting or helping bookings? I remember all the threads on the smoking policy following the announcement to limit smoking. If I recall correctly, there was a small, but vocal group of posters who where highly upset by the policy. There was a much larger and equally vocal group who applauded Celebrity for the restrictions. The ultimate decision on any change in smoking policy, including futher limiting it is in the hands of the "Miami Suits." It might be more helpful if one desires any change in the status quo to write to Celebrity rather than merely posting on this board. Ok, I know we all like to argue and exchange views, it can be fun. But, if you want change, share your thoughts with those who have the power to make the change.

As the OP, I was interested in being able to explore alternatives to the current use of the Sky Lounge as the indoor smoking venue. No, there is no evidence that Celebrity is contemplating changing locations for indoor smokers. But when I have a complaint I try to suggest alternatives for improvement. That's why I started the thread, not to debate whether one should or should not smoke, but only to ask, if the Sky Lounge is not the best place, what other places might work. Discussion always wanders from the original topic, but one has to start somewhere....

As the OP, I was interested in being able to explore alternatives to the current use of the Sky Lounge as the indoor smoking venue. No, there is no evidence that Celebrity is contemplating changing locations for indoor smokers. But when I have a complaint I try to suggest alternatives for improvement. That's why I started the thread, not to debate whether one should or should not smoke, but only to ask, if the Sky Lounge is not the best place, what other places might work. Discussion always wanders from the original topic, but one has to start somewhere....

I always find your posts thoughtful. I too believe that one should not merely complain about a problem, but need to take the next step and suggest solutions that can be evaluated. Unfortunately, certain topics including, but not limied to tipping, food, poor behavior and smoking, present trigger buttons for some. I believe that's why threads get off track and far too emotional. All I'm really urging is that one takes their best suggestions for imporovement and share them with Celebrity. I always send a letter to Customer Relations following a cruise and from their responses I know that they listen.

The ultimate decision on any change in smoking policy, including futher limiting it is in the hands of the "Miami Suits." It might be more helpful if one desires any change in the status quo to write to Celebrity rather than merely posting on this board.

We know that Celebrity monitors these boards. The new discussion about the erroneous imminent closing of Michael's Club drew a facebook comment from Celebrity within 24 hours. A letter to Captain's Club or Dan Hanrahan takes much longer to work its way through the labyrinth. Here at least we get many viewpoints upon available options from the "critic" within most of us. At the minimum, we establish that there is always someone who supports our personal priorities.

Off the original topic, but regarding Michael's Club.......Why oh why can't Celebrity just leave the situation on the Constellation as it is? It is packed every night. Most nights one can't find a seat .There is a loyal crowd there who wouldn't think of being anywhere else. My bar tab alone contributes to the revenue in no small way!

Since I am not Elite and have not sailed Celebrity since 2007 I guess I'm not thatqualified to give an opinion.I once said Michaels Club should be a smoking lounge since it was once a cigar bar but that offended some who enjoyed it after it was changed to a Piano Bar.

Now Michaels is being turned into Micro Beer Pub which are popular nowadays so that would not work.(besides I would use the Beer Pub:D)

Face it,there are no alteratives that would not have a negative effect on some.I agree with Orator who said to let Miami worry about it

..................Frank

let Miami worry about it

..................Frank

"Miami" does not have to worry about it because they don't spend any time there... they might actually talk to a passenger who wishes to express an opinion that disagrees with their concept. ;)

Archived