Please compare lines

hexdragon

I am a river cruise newbie. I have been on Disney and NCL, but never on a small ship like these. I've seen the TV ads for viking and read a review on AMA here.

Not to start a flame war, but what are the differences between the lines? And are there any other lines I should be looking at? I am thinking strictly Europe. Another point is that I might be traveling by myself. (My friends see no reason to leave North America...)

many here have their favorite,,and swear THAT ONE is the BEST,,,but having been on 8 river cruises,,,with most of top lines,,,all have good and bad points,,none being PERFECT...So read a lot of reviews,,,check out prices and cabins,,,determine right destination...then really compare it all before you decide..

I would limit my first one to 7 day,,,on one of popular Europe rivers,,like Danube,Rhine,,etc...spend 1 day before in port city so no hurry or airline probs..also check doing own air..I like to pick my own airline and times but know Ill have to provide cab fare to hotel or boat..but like the convenience..others use cruise air.

I like french balcony,,or on the new ships,,both reg.and french for views and fresh air. Good luck...sure you ll love it...Remember rooms are smaller,dinners are sort of family style,but very easy to make friends and you ll have a lot of "singles" both male and female to meet.Most tend to be in 50 to 75 yr range..:)

Check the single supplement

Scenic Tours have some cruises with no SS

I have not checked others I just noticed in a recent email from Scenic

There are several threads discussing the differences in lines but it seems to boil down to the same or very similar experience

Look for cabin size, inclusions, what is extra whether you want a real balcony, french balcony or basic cabin with a window

It just depends on your personal preferences

Lyn

We have been on four river cruises and two were on Vantage Travel. We are very very pleased with them, their ships and the price. They send us a catalog everyday....go on line and have them sign you up for brochures. Just got back for a 17 days Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine and Danube is was beautiful....check out my blog at www.beaulily.tumblr.com

Lurk on the different web sites to look for notice that single supplements are being waved. Uniworld does offer that at times - and perhaps others do as well.

You also need to decide if you really want access to fresh air - and how much access to the outside. Rooms without french balconies (or full balconies!!) are cheaper - but many won't travel without an opening door. Scenic does have full balconies - and other lines are bringing in newer boats with that option as well. Obviously, you pay for that upgrade.

I do agree with the suggestion that you only do 7 nights to start. If you wish to travel longer, look for an itinerary that includes days before or after the cruise.

Uniworld and Scenic do offer transfers even if you arrange your own air. But - only on the day of embarkation and disembarkation. Tauck may as well - but not sure about that. Depending on the starting port - arranging your own transport could be a bit expensive (especially if the airport is a distance away...)

Have fun planning!!

Fran

Hi Fran,

We always arrange our own airfare and Tauck picks us up and takes us back to the airport FREE. If we go in ahead or stay longer, we stay at the hotel Tauck is using and the pick up and return to the airport is still FREE. This year and next year, Tauck is offering two FREE nights at their hotels!! So, when I tell someone to do a spreadsheet, I always tell them to make sure they check out the included perks Tauck offers.

Sheila

Most folks pick their first cruises based on the cruise itinerary itself, not on the particular line.

Make sure you are comparing applies to apples. Once you decide where you want to go (let's say the rivers in the South of France, for example) try to determine when you'll want to go. Some months are cheaper than others -- in large part due to weather concerns.

Now that you know where and roughly when you'd like to go, it's time to go information gathering. Some leave this to a travel agent although there are lines (e.g. Vantage) that are only sold direct to consumer. Personally, I enjoy doing the research myself.

Take all this information and try to determine your "apples". What does each cruise offer by way of itinerary? What is included vs what is "extra"? What type of accommodations would you want (or be willing to accept)?

Now you can do your comparison. Ignore discount percentages! They are the biggest scam going -- kind of like buying luggage "on sale" at a department store (almost no one pays the full price). Look instead at the bottom line (including all costs) for your options. Be sure to factor in gratuities, port charges, taxes, airfare and transfers.

When you have your choices narrowed to those you can count on your fingers, it's time to start searching this website. There are plenty of after-trip reports to read.

Then it's just time to book and enjoy the planning, the anticipation, the trip, and the memories afterward.

Happy Hunting!

So far as the advice to ignore discount percentages, I only agree in the case of Viking and others that are always offering a 2 for 1 or similar "sale". However, you can save a lot by taking advantage of the promo's offered by AMA and Avalon in particular when they run the $500 off per person on select cruises. These can be a great savings.

In terms of itinerary, read the day to day carefully. We enjoyed our first river cruise more than our second as the second had too much daytime cruising ( we would rather be in ports exploring) and no overnight stays. It was also too long. I would never recommend a long cruise for someone's first journey on the river.

I also would pay attention to the cabins if you are looking for comfort. We would never be happy in a 130 sq ft cabin with Murphy beds so for us, we pay equal attention to the boats themselves. Many lines offer very similar itineraries so there will be a good choice of river boats in many cases.

Now we look for lots of port time, overnight stays and in November will be on a theme cruise hosted by the vinter of St. Francis Winery. A theme cruise focusing on a hobby or interest may also be worth investigating.

We have been on four river cruises and two were on Vantage Travel. We are very very pleased with them, their ships and the price. They send us a catalog everyday....go on line and have them sign you up for brochures. Just got back for a 17 days Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine and Danube is was beautiful....check out my blog at www.beaulily.tumblr.com

Our Vantage trip to Ukraine, Russia (with river cruise) and the Baltics was great. Many on our tour had been with Vantage on other tours and praised them for "taking care of you."

We had the same questions about six months ago while searching for our first river cruise. We narrowed down our choice of providers by types of beds available in the lower cabin categories. Some of them are fold-down or pull-out (some of which I found described in various Cruise Critic posts as not much better than a cot) which I knew my bad back wouldn't tolerate well. We decided on Avalon because they are one of the lines with hotel beds in all categories. From there we looked at itineraries, cabin sizes, etc -- all the things discussed above.

I am also looking into taking my first River cruise but we don't plan on going until 2013. On the excursions, can you tell me how large the groups are on each of the main lines.

In my experience, excursion group size is in the range of 40 or so - a busload.

columbusnj - if you are talking about the walking tour groups they vary. Perhaps 25 to 40 per group. If you are talking about how many passangers are on a ship it ranges from about 130 to 175 on the larger ships. Much smaller than the ocean going ships. That's probably one reason that the river cruisers seem so much more expensive in comparison to the ocean cruises.

If there are any mobility concerns, look carefully at deck plans. One of our Viking trips (200 pax) had no elevator. Elevators can be a welcome sight after a long day touring. If it is not an American company, there is no obligation to follow ADA guidelines.

If you want an international mix of pax, avoid GCT and Vamtage.

No one can tell you the perfect line for you, only research can bring you an answer. We have cruised with AMAwaterways, GAP, Lueftner (an alumni trip), Vantage, Viking and Uniworld. Uniworld does remain our favorite, but not exclusive to other lines. Number 15 coming up in Dec.

Pat

If you want an international mix of pax, avoid GCT and Vamtage.

Please explain. Do you mean that GCT and Vantage tend to be mostly US and Canadian?

I read on another thread that there is more smoking on these cruises. What is the smoking policy on most of these lines? Do they have nonsmoking rooms?

Some of the lines cater to the N. American market so most guests are from Canada and the U.S. Most of the cruises I've been on also had people from Aus, NZ, Great Britain, Germany etc.

Most ship interiors and staterooms are nonsmoking. Each ship has an outdoor smoking area.

I have not gone yet, but I had the same questions 6 months ago. We want our first European River cruise to be tulip time in the Netherlands & Belgium. After getting advise here, I made a spread sheet comparing various lines. In the end, I chose itinerary. We are going with Grand Circle Travel. They have one extra day for about the same price yet see as much if not more. I like the slightly slower pace. They are one of the ones which cater to North Americans. They also only take those over 50 (or maybe 55, I forgot) It does not matter to us however. As I said, it was just the itinerary on this particular trip.

They do have those fold down beds and that was one reason I was hesitant. But, they are voted consistantly the best small ships by Coste, and I have never read a complaint about the bed, so they must not be too bad. Also, they have room sharing for singles if you are so inclined.

Another thing which sold me was some passenger comments when they were stuck in Europe after the Iceland volcano eruption. They were allowed to stay on board and eat gourmet food free of charge until they got a flight. They arranged for passengers to get needed prescriptions, had entertainment, etc. Maybe they all did that, but I was very impressed.

Wanted to add that the only smoking allowed is in a small area on the sundeck on top of the ship.

After saying all that, I think we may go on a long Grand European Tour on Viking in a year or so.

I honestly think they are all pretty great trips!

Please explain. Do you mean that GCT and Vantage tend to be mostly US and Canadian?

I read on another thread that there is more smoking on these cruises. What is the smoking policy on most of these lines? Do they have nonsmoking rooms?

Vantage and GCT are almost exclusively marketed to the US. Their included airfare is from US gateways, so us Canucks would have to cross the border to get to our flight out. Not a problem for anyone living close to the border, but a challenge for those of us who live a few hours away. Getting to the gateway city would add to the overall cost. This isn't to say that I would never travel with them, but I am less than an hour door-to-door from the airport in Toronto - so flights out are pretty easy for me.

Living in Ontario, I would not travel with anyone who is not a part of TICO - Travel Industry Council of Ontario - unless I can't find another option. They are our "insurance" if something goes wrong...(ie: company goes bankrupt - leaving you stranded away from home...)

For smoking - most lines have designated spots - usually on the Sun deck. Scenic also had an area on the bow of the boat.

Fran

Hmmm, well I have plenty of time to mull about this. My friends are pushing for a three night Disney cruise in Dec 2012, but I sort of not want to be home for my 50th in June 2013... :(:(:(:(

I can not afford both... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, well I have plenty of time to mull about this. My friends are pushing for a three night Disney cruise in Dec 2012, but I sort of not want to be home for my 50th in June 2013... :(:(:(:(

I can not afford both... :(

Hexdragon, I just returned from the Castles Along the Rhine and Danube from Amsterdam to Budapest on Vantage, it was fabulous! I chose this trip for my 60th birthday and all I can say is landmark birthdays like this can be scary but the anticipation of a great adventure and the memories that I have made it so special. It was my 40th cruise but it was not the same old-same old that you experience on a big cruise ship, the intimate nature of a small ship is very special and it is easy to meet new friends.

Vantage is comming out with it's new ship in March 2012 and it will have single cabins available but it sounds like you have time to find a roommate, don't hesitate to book a cabin with pull down beds that convert to comfortable seating during the day. I also worry about the smoking issues, on our cruise I only saw one person smoking on the very back of the sun deck, it was not a problem.

Archived