voltage transformer converter 220/110 for Europe

welshcorgie

I just recieved my voltage transformer converter for my Europe cruise and am wondering if I can take it in carry on luggage or if I have to put it into my checked luggage as it is heavy and I don't want it to have to count in my luggage weight. I don't want to have it in my carry on if it will be taken away. HELP!!!

I just recieved my voltage transformer converter for my Europe cruise and am wondering if I can take it in carry on luggage or if I have to put it into my checked luggage as it is heavy and I don't want it to have to count in my luggage weight. I don't want to have it in my carry on if it will be taken away. HELP!!!

I don't know why you can't put it in your carry-on!

Why do you need it?

Virtually all chargers for cell phones, computers, etc can now be used on any domestic voltage in the world with no heavy adapters. (read the labels) You may need an adapter for the prongs on the cord, but not for the voltage.

Hairdo equipment, like curling irons can be obtained with a dual voltage switch for travelers.

Onboard a ship, you will have both 120 and 220 volt outlets available for use with your appliances.

Why do you need it?

Virtually all chargers for cell phones, computers, etc can now be used on any domestic voltage in the world with no heavy adapters. (read the labels) You may need an adapter for the prongs on the cord, but not for the voltage.

Hairdo equipment, like curling irons can be obtained with a dual voltage switch for travelers.

Onboard a ship, you will have both 120 and 220 volt outlets available for use with your appliances.

I agree. We have traveled all over the world on cruises and have never needed a voltage converter. The ships all have 110 plugs for your use. If you are doing land travel either before or after your cruise, check to see if your hotel has a hairdryer for your use. Most do. If you need the converter for other electric appliances, you will need a converter. Many nice hotels have them available for your use if you request one. There should be no problem with putting your converter in your carry-on. If you are concerned, go to the TSA website and check. I don't recall ever seeing it on the restricted list. Enjoy your cruise!

I, too, have traveled pretty much all over the world and never needed a transformer/voltage converter. I just bring the correct adapter. All chargers, curling iron, etc. are dual voltage.

Most, but not all. For example, my recently purchased Kodak quick charger for 4 AA batteries is 120V only.

We too have found little or no need for bulky transformer-based voltage converters in our world travels. Only if you have an appliance that consumes lots of power (like over 100W) and won't accept 220v would you really need the bulky converter. For those accessories such as caribill's battery charger, you can get a small light-weight solid-state converter to meet those low-power needs.

The only thing I can think of (now mind you my pea-brain can't think of everything) that requires a full-up transformer would be a 120v-only iron or curling iron. Not only is that iron bulky in itself, but most hotels provide them and your Princess ship will also have irons in all the laundromats. Spend $20 bucks on a dual-voltage curling iron if you must. Finally to close out the transformer thought - in our early traveling days when we did need a transformer, the hotel would loan one to us. If you can, you should return your transformer and spend the money on replacing the gadgets that won't accept 220v or get the solid-state converter.

Our collection of electronic traveling gizmos has evolved by natural selection to being only those which accept both voltages. Whenever we purchase anything of this type we insist on dual-voltage capability.

My post reflected that mine were dual-voltage. I make sure my curling iron is. :)

The Ocean, Pacific and Sea Princess and, I believe, the Dawn Princess.

Add the Crown to that list. While "under the bed" does not equal "readily available", it is perfect for DW's CPAP which runs on 220 only.

Shalom and Shana Tova. Andy

Aren't we getting off topic here? OP is from Wisconsin, and his need -- if his appliances are not dual voltage -- is for 110v. Most cruise ships, European or not, will have these outlets readily available. Admittedly, thinfool said dual voltage outlets will be available, but clearly the relevant statement would be that either 110 outlets or dual voltage outlets will be available. That, at least, is the issue for OP.

Bill

Both the crown and emerald have a 220/240 volt outlet behind the bed. One of the bedside table lamps plugs into it. We always use this outlet for DH's dual voltage CPAP which requires we use a plug adaptor (NOT a voltage adaptor) for the 110 cord. We no longer travel with a voltage adaptor but have ruined two fans (in Athens and Rome) and one time shorted out a group of rooms in a Rome hotel by attempting to use a fan with both the voltage and plug adaptor. It obviously didn't work.

The main reason that I ask is that I have a new Motorola Droid 3 and we have read through the information with the phone and it doesn't say anything about voltage. We will be charging it at the Madrid airport and also in Venice and don't want to take the chance of wrecking it. I know that we will be fine once on the ship, but I'm more worried when we are out and about. Spoke to our Verizon dealer and he wasnt sure, as he had not traveled to Europe. Thanks, Kelly.

The main reason that I ask is that I have a new Motorola Droid 3 and we have read through the information with the phone and it doesn't say anything about voltage. We will be charging it at the Madrid airport and also in Venice and don't want to take the chance of wrecking it. I know that we will be fine once on the ship, but I'm more worried when we are out and about. Spoke to our Verizon dealer and he wasnt sure, as he had not traveled to Europe. Thanks, Kelly.

The information that you need is likely in small print on the charger itself.

It should say something like "100-240" volts, indicating that it will work at any voltage within that range.

Unlikely that a customer service person would know anything about it.

Fyi, my really old Motorola razr has the original wall charger that clearly says "Input voltage 100-240 volts", in really small print. :D

Is your Verizon droid phone the standard CDMA that Verizon sells all over the US? If so, it will be useless in Europe. Afaik, Europe is 100% GSM. Other Verizon users report that Verizon will lend or rent them a GSM phone to use in Europe, I think.

The information that you need is likely in small print on the charger itself.

It should say something like "100-240" volts, indicating that it will work at any voltage within that range.

Unlikely that a customer service person would know anything about it.

Fyi, my really old Motorola razr has the original wall charger that clearly says "Input voltage 100-240 volts", in really small print. :D

Is your Verizon droid phone the standard CDMA that Verizon sells all over the US? If so, it will be useless in Europe. Afaik, Europe is 100% GSM. Other Verizon users report that Verizon will lend or rent them a GSM phone to use in Europe, I think.

My phone has a global chip in it and I have global traveler. It is the brand new phone that just came out and is one of two that verizon sells that have this capability.

My phone has a global chip in it and I have global traveler. It is the brand new phone that just came out and is one of two that verizon sells that have this capability.

Cool!!

If it is a global phone for global travelers, I guarantee that it has a charger that will work anywhere without a voltage adapter/converter. It will still need an adapter for the prongs to fit a foreign receptacle. Radio Shack has a kit for less than $20. It contains adapters for all of Europe and most of the rest of the world.

I looked on the charger itself and it does say 110-240. I should be ok then, right? Thank you so much. I will return the voltage converter.:) I didn't think to look on the charger, was only looking in the how to info.

Yes...you are good to go. Have a great time!

Interesting. I am currently a Verizon customer and just returned from a trip to Europe. Just 3 months ago, Verizon had NO phones that would work in Europe, and their new "global" phone did not list support for any European countries. Also we found that the phone would keep the US phone number, making all calls cost prohibitive.

For US/Europe mobile phones you need a Quad Band phone, as US uses two bands and Europe uses the other two. We bought a "SIM unlocked" phone (a Motorola RAZR - but Nokia has good phones too.) and purchased a SIM card for 10 Euro while in Europe.

With any phone and/or camera make sure the transformer is rated for 105V-240V and you can use it anywhere with the appropriate plug adaptor.

Why do you need it?

Where are the 220? I have never seen them?

Interesting. I am currently a Verizon customer and just returned from a trip to Europe. Just 3 months ago, Verizon had NO phones that would work in Europe, and their new "global" phone did not list support for any European countries. Also we found that the phone would keep the US phone number, making all calls cost prohibitive.

For US/Europe mobile phones you need a Quad Band phone, as US uses two bands and Europe uses the other two. We bought a "SIM unlocked" phone (a Motorola RAZR - but Nokia has good phones too.) and purchased a SIM card for 10 Euro while in Europe.

With any phone and/or camera make sure the transformer is rated for 105V-240V and you can use it anywhere with the appropriate plug adaptor.

I am considering getting the Verizon Escapade which is global ready. Is this the one you have?

Archived