Eastbound transatlantic cruises in fall ?

Redcasey55

I am new to cruising, first one was last year. Had a great time. I have a westbound transatlantic booked for Dec. next year and was wondering if there are eastbound transatlantic sailings in the fall. Thought it would be nice to go to Europe eastbound and return westbound. Better than flying there, I would think. I have searched some of the cruiseline's websites but have not found an eastbound transatlantic in the fall. If anyone could enlighten me on this subject, it would be appreciated.

The general pattern is that lines move their ships from the Caribbean to Europe during hurricane season, heading eastbound in the spring, then return to the Caribbean season in the fall. As far as I know, the only line that does regular crossings in both directions during the fall is Cunard.

Sadly, most TAs are positioning cruises from the Med in Autumn/Winter and vice versa in the Spring. Your only hope I think is to take Cunard for the return sector but they tend not to be workable on schedules since they no longer sail the Atlantic in the depths of the winter.

My wife and I met a couple of ladies on Amtrak from NYC to Miami who each spring crossed on positioning cruises to Europe to see their respective families. One would return by Cunard after a couple of months, the other, much later, would reposition back to the States on a cruise ship!

I wish they did, but unfortunately cruiselines such as Celebrity use the TAs as repositioning and thus the Fall ones are always westbound to relocate their ships from Europe in winter. The QM2 still does crossings, but I have never been able to time one right and she ploughs straight across in a few days.

Phil

Fall TAs are the better priced because airfares are less costly to Europe in the Fall . RCCL Liberty of the Seas had a stern balcony cabin early on for this years Oct 27th TA & the price was $2100 for the cabin .With the diamond discount it then droped to $1800 & that is for a 14 night cruise.WOW .Airfare was a lot chaeaper as well .:D:D:D

We have twice taken Queen Mary 2 eastbound, spent several days in Europe and then a repositioning cruise westbound. QM2 takes six or seven days for the crossing and the repositioning roughly two weeks. So it takes about a month but it is a great way to travel rather than the trials of flying.

If you have the time, book a transatlantic repo going eastbound in the Spring; then you can get a cheap excursion fare on the plane going to

Europe in the Fall and coming home in the Spring after your "return" sailing.:)(Failing that, Air Berlin sells reasonable one-way transatlantic

flights)

Your only option is Cunard's Queen Mary 2 which sails from Brooklyn. The crossings are 7 nights in duration (no ports of call) and terminate in Southampton.
I did a quick check and was surprised that QM2 23 Oct 2011 starts at $599 [balconies from $799]. If you have the time to stay for awhile you could make a nice trip over and then back on one of the fall repostionings.

Thom

We like Cunard and follow prices really closely. I would say that the QM2 fares this year are the cheapest I have ever seen. Possibly a reflection on the world economy since this route is still used as transport by some people rather than as a cruise holiday.

Archived