iPhone on Verizon - Steps to avoid large bill?

I will be taking my iPhone (Verizon) on Monarch in a couple of weeks. I don't care about data or email. All I want to do is be able to make or receive a phone call or text message from home. I know to turn Data Roaming off, but what else do I need to do? I can't use Airplane mode, because I want to be able to receive calls if there is an emergency at home.

How about giving the ship's number to the people at home? If there's an emergency, each ship has a phone number that loved ones can call, but then you don't have to worry about the cost of a text or call on the cell. The costs aren't much higher (might even be lower) than the cell phone per minute, and then you don't have to carry around your iPhone. Also, your Verizon iPhone won't work in other countries, as it is uses different technology from the GSM standard used everywhere else (AT&T uses the GSM standard as well). As long as the people at home know the ship's phone number and your cabin number, you'll be fine.

How about giving the ship's number to the people at home? If there's an emergency, each ship has a phone number that loved ones can call, but then you don't have to worry about the cost of a text or call on the cell. The costs aren't much higher (might even be lower) than the cell phone per minute, and then you don't have to carry around your iPhone. Also, your Verizon iPhone won't work in other countries, as it is uses different technology from the GSM standard used everywhere else (AT&T uses the GSM standard as well). As long as the people at home know the ship's phone number and your cabin number, you'll be fine.

Your information is very out of date.

Ship phone is $7.95 per minute, cell phone call on the ship is $2.49 per minute, that is a huge difference.

Her phone will work in the islands as long as International Dialing is activated. Activating I-Dial is free and you will need to program your phone using *228.

Call Verizon or check out their website.

We cruised about a month ago to the Bahamas and wanted to use our Verizon iphones for phone calls / emergencies as well. We called Verizon and it's a good thing we did. They walked us through the steps needed and activated the feature for us. They also told us how to turn the roaming off so we wouldn't be charged. I would call them just to make sure you have your settings right.

I'm always afraid to even turn my phone on and wind up with a $$$ phone bill...

I have Verizon(DroidX).......going to Eastern Carib(St Thomas and St Martin) next month.......now if I want to do just texts(seems cheaper),exactly what do I need to do??

I'm always afraid to even turn my phone on and wind up with a $$$ phone bill...

I have Verizon(DroidX).......going to Eastern Carib(St Thomas and St Martin) next month.......now if I want to do just texts(seems cheaper),exactly what do I need to do??

If you don't have International Dialing activated, you have to call Verizon and get it activated, it is free to do. You will then have to update your phone by dialing *228 and choose option 2.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/index.html

This link will have the rates for calls and texting by country. Texting in St Thomas is free if you have unlimited texting. It will be 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive in St Martin.

Just make sure you have data off on your phone and you will get no data charges. If someone calls you, you will be charged so you might want to keep it off other than when you want to text.

I haven't used my Droid Global in the islands yet since I had a different phone last time we were in the islands. Turning data off does work though because my son spent a month in Europe with his Droid and incurred no data charges (thankfully;)).

I am in Canada right now and I am posting this message using a wifi connection because I am roaming. I have loaded two apps and gave them a trial run today and they both worked great. I made a call and texted from Google Talk. I also made a sent a text message from TextFree. I am testing these programs for our cruise from Spain next month. I am not sure if they will work in Europe as well as Canada but I'll try.

Shak

If you don't have International Dialing activated, you have to call Verizon and get it activated, it is free to do. You will then have to update your phone by dialing *228 and choose option 2.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/index.html

This link will have the rates for calls and texting by country. Texting in St Thomas is free if you have unlimited texting. It will be 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive in St Martin.

Just make sure you have data off on your phone and you will get no data charges. If someone calls you, you will be charged so you might want to keep it off other than when you want to text.

I haven't used my Droid Global in the islands yet since I had a different phone last time we were in the islands. Turning data off does work though because my son spent a month in Europe with his Droid and incurred no data charges (thankfully;)).

Thanks!!!!:):)

• 3 months later...

I travel internationally for a living with my iPhone, and always have it set up so that no data comes to my phone when I am on international roaming. It's very easy, and I have been doing it for several years now without ever incurring an accidental fee.

The two important things are:

1) Turn off Data Roaming

2) Make sure nothing (NOTHING) gets "pushed" to your phone. That means, if you have your phone set up to automatically go find e-mails, etc. every 15, 30, 60 minutes...turn that off.

I do agree that just giving the ship's emergency phone # out is the best thing to do. If someone needs to reach you, they can in case of emergency. That way, you can leave your phone off the entire time and incur ZERO charges.

That's what we do. I've yet received an emergency phone call. But, if it's that much of any emergency, I wouldn't mind the $7 charge.

Besides, there's not much you would be able to do in any emergency if you're at sea (aside from disembarking at the next port and trying to get home).

I know of a few couples who inadvertently ran up several hundred dollars on their cell phones while cruising, alleging that they barely used texting and the phone.

Thanks for all your help and replies! I found a great tool and phone calls intentionally will only be under 25 cents a min. vs. whatever verizon will cost me! I went to Google and have a GMAIL account then went to Google Voice and it gives you a phone number to choose. You can connect your home, cell, work, numbers to all ring when receiving ( FREE ) calls within the United States, Alaska, and CAnada and under 25 cents internationally! There is a breakdown of all the countries and how much it cost if you look on the site. Since you dial your new Google Voice number, then you hit #2, and dial the number you are accessing it does not get billed by your carrier. You can also have your calls go straight to your google mail, or voice messages can turn to text messages in google. But they still don't have FREE texting internationally, but they have free texting in the United States. So I will use this on my cell ( droid ) when I have to call home to check on my pet:) Anyone use this service and have luck with it? I think I will make a separate topic on this to get reviews! Good Day!;)

Thanks for all your help and replies! I found a great tool and phone calls intentionally will only be under 25 cents a min. vs. whatever verizon will cost me! I went to Google and have a GMAIL account then went to Google Voice and it gives you a phone number to choose. You can connect your home, cell, work, numbers to all ring when receiving ( FREE ) calls within the United States, Alaska, and CAnada and under 25 cents internationally! There is a breakdown of all the countries and how much it cost if you look on the site. Since you dial your new Google Voice number, then you hit #2, and dial the number you are accessing it does not get billed by your carrier. You can also have your calls go straight to your google mail, or voice messages can turn to text messages in google. But they still don't have FREE texting internationally, but they have free texting in the United States. So I will use this on my cell ( droid ) when I have to call home to check on my pet:) Anyone use this service and have luck with it? I think I will make a separate topic on this to get reviews! Good Day!;)

Are you sure this isn't something that runs via the Internet, meaning you have to be connected to that to make it happen?

Great thread. I just got an iphone and am still learning. One thing I discovered is that it uses 1-2 MB of data per day even when I do nothing. Not a lot, but I do not have an unlimited plan.

I often turn off the cellular data option when at home to reduce this usage. When on the ship not sure if I should turn off cellular data or cellular roaming, or if they will both have the same result? Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,

TMC

My BIL wanted me to ask about using his sprint blackberry on the ship, he leaves on the Explorer on Friday. He needs to check his work emails and wanted to plug it into his laptop. His plan said they charge .019 per kb. what will the ship charge if he uses the laptop on his balcony and does not go to the internet cafe? Also does anyone know what a kb equals, is that alot? How does he use the wifi on the ship and how much will it cost, sorry i am a little computer iliterate when comes to this stuff.

this is an unrelated question but he wants to know if the superbowl will be played on the ship?

I know the internet cafe computers cost more and are slow. It is quite expensive if you ask me? I was wondering myself if I should just get a data plan just for international and use the internet on my cell. Verizon has a 50MB plan for 30.00. Since its only a week at sea for me that should be plenty vs the 2.99 a minute for the ships price. May not be quoted correctly but you get the point. But I am still learning myself, my first cruise in 20 years! And with the entire immediate family! YIPPEE:o

Archived