I don't understand "prepaid gratuities" on Celebrity Silhouette!

sparot5

He's not expecting poor service. What the OP said and made VERY clear is he wants to stiff all the waitstaff, housekeeping and other persinnel. Period. His words were "i don't care". IMO he is probably used to having all gratuities removed onboard but is pissed he wont have his way this time because he has select and must prepay so he's trying to find a way to file a FRAUDULENT claim with his credit card company to get the gratuities back that way.

Thats the way prince charming has presented it. Again, IMO

I can't tell if you are in the U.S., but in the U.S. Waiters work for a wage of about $2.15 per hour-the majority of their income is from tips- same type of situation with the ships crew.

I am not responsible for the US system. The cruise is going to happen far away from Kansas. In my country gratuities are paid for better service. it is not a donation for poor, hardworking underpaid people. The US system is just weird, has no common sense.

I am not responsible for the US system. The cruise is going to happen far away from Kansas. In my country gratuities are paid for better service. it is not a donation for poor, hardworking underpaid people. The US system is just weird, has no common sense.

Then please do everyone (including yourself) a favor and don't cruise. Or spend a few extra thousands of dollars and cruise a luxury cruise line where gratuities are included in the fare, so you don't feel like you're making a "donation".

Why quote US law if you aren't living in the US?

Why book Select if you don't intend to pay the gratuity?

Why cruise on a US line if you don't intend to abide by their policy?

So many questions, but the answers are really pretty clear, and now I'm done feeding this troll.

Let it go people. Something is very amiss here. A new member to our wonderful community digs up a post that started 4 years ago, and has not had a posting in 11 months. Just chuckle and realize what goes around comes around and Karma, well ya'll know.

Why quote US law if you aren't living in the US?

Why book Select if you don't intend to pay the gratuity?

Why cruise on a US line if you don't intend to abide by their policy?

So many questions, but the answers are really pretty clear, and now I'm done feeding this troll.

1. just an example. Case Law.

2. best price considering free beverage package.

3. Are you sure it is a US line? perhaps international?

Celebrity Cruises is a cruise line which was founded in 1988 by the Greece-based Chandris Group.[2] In 1997, Celebrity Cruises Ltd. merged with Royal Caribbean International to become Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which operates Celebrity, Royal Caribbean International, Azamara Club Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises and CDF Croisières de France.
Edited by paul17

He's not expecting poor service...to file a FRAUDULENT claim with his credit card company to get the gratuities back that way.

From my point of view the mandatory gratuities is a FRAUDULENT charge itself.

It is nothing but a hidden fee. It can be easily included in the cruise price but some cruising companies are trying to take advantage of it. tax avoidance? to have an opportunity to underpay employees legally ?

So please don't make me responsible for your fine customs.

Edited by paul17

From my point of view the mandatory gratuities is a FRAUDULENT charge itself.

It is nothing but a hidden fee. It can be easily included in the cruise price but some cruising companies are trying to take advantage of it. tax avoidance? to have an opportunity underpay employees legally ?

So please don't make me responsible for your fine customs.

Very easily solved. Don't cruise on our lines.

Not an issue with most folks, but why treat select diners in a different way to fixed/club diners; that is the more relevant point of this thread.

1.No, many people don't. check this post: acketwatch on Feb 6, 12 at 10:34pm

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/pre-paid-gratuities-for-a-cruies.cfm

2.When one have the same waiter there are more chances he/she would pay tips. because of established relationship.

I don't care how many. I've already paid for the cruise and have no intention to cancel, just want to save some money .

It says

Seriously? You want to save money by cheating people out of their income? Nice morals you have.

You really should cancel the cruise. That way you won't have to spend any money on anything you don't want to pay for, such as the salary for the captain and his staff who steer the ship, and the engine room mechanics who keep the engines running, and the chefs and their staff, etc. You would save a lot more money by cancelling than by stiffing the hard working service staff who are trying to make your vacation a good one.

You want to save money by removing the tips! Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Not an issue with most folks, but why treat select diners in a different way to fixed/club diners; that is the more relevant point of this thread.

Because of people like the poster who started this round of discussion. Because some will do everything they can to avoid paying the tips, usually on the idiotic argument that "we don't do it that way in my country", which is about as ignorant an attitude as there ever was. Why do they visit other places in the world if they can't deal with the differences those cultures have? :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Don't even call it gratuities, just increase the cost. Places like Sandals have done that for years.

What like they do on ships in some parts of the world?

But some posters on CC say will cause the total implosion of the cruise industry.

Because of people like the poster who started this round of discussion. Because some will do everything they can to avoid paying the tips, usually on the idiotic argument that "we don't do it that way in my country", which is about as ignorant an attitude as there ever was. Why do they visit other places in the world if they can't deal with the differences those cultures have? :confused:

I do not believe that the original post suggested they would not pay gratuities, their question was why did they have to pre-pay when booking select dining when it was charged to the onboard account for fixed diners; and this has still not been answered to my satisfaction despite there being 140 posts prior to this.

Don't even call it gratuities, just increase the cost. Places like Sandals have done that for years.

Agree with you but what I would be afraid of is people would inevitably start tipping and we would then have the same discussion down the line. Actually has happened in the past.

Edited by dkjretired

I do not believe that the original post suggested they would not pay gratuities, their question was why did they have to pre-pay when booking select dining when it was charged to the onboard account for fixed diners; and this has still not been answered to my satisfaction despite there being 140 posts prior to this.

You are correct, the OP did not suggest they wouldn't pay the gratuities, the subsequent troll started that.

Select Dining has prepaid gratuities because they are pooled in that area due to people not having the same waiters each night as they do in traditional. Whether that doesn't meet your satisfaction is of course your choice but that's the reason, right or wrong.