Is it more likely to get better upgrades if you book direct with 'O' ?

canuck.qc

Friends of ours get terrific upgrades, they always book direct with Oceania.

We get offered mediocre upgrades and book thru a reputable TA. Does O start by offering upgrades to their direct clients. I understand the concept of bumping up passengers with desirable cabins etc...but just wondering.

upgrades or upsell's??

Out TA contacts as soon as possible

but I am just guess here if you get a call direct from O you can act right away

if the call goes to the TA then to you the delay can cause the upsell/upgrade to be taken by the time you decide

If your TA gives perks it may worth missing an upgrade ;)

Assuredly Oceania has each passengers profile on file (down to the last chocolate bar that you did, or didn't, purchase in the gift shop), and you can bet that they have a method to their madness.

Whatever that process is, it was developed to encourage the purchase of more cruises in more expensive cabins, and hopefully both.

When passengers sail Oceania on a regular basis, the Line is better able to discern either a cruising pattern that they want to encourage, or an opportunity to stimulate an increase in future passenger spending.

Unfortunately for the clarity of this explanation, Oceania must also try to keep that unsold inventory working for them, even when there are no "eligible" passengers in the pool. It is then that luck comes into the picture.

Assuredly Oceania has each passengers profile on file (down to the last chocolate bar that you did, or didn't, purchase in the gift shop), and you can bet that they have a method to their madness.

Whatever that process is, it was developed to encourage the purchase of more cruises in more expensive cabins, and hopefully both.

When passengers sail Oceania on a regular basis, the Line is better able to discern either a cruising pattern that they want to encourage, or an opportunity to stimulate an increase in future passenger spending.

Unfortunately for the clarity of this explanation, Oceania must also try to keep that unsold inventory working for them, even when there are no "eligible" passengers in the pool. It is then that luck comes into the picture.

I did it...I upgraded to an OS (not cheap by any means)...all because you posted all those pics and all the discussions about your suite. We are thrilled. No Stan and Jim entertaining here...it's Deb and Jim now. If only our friends from previous cruises were travelling with us:o I don't know how we will go back to a B4 next Sept on our Rome to Venice.

I did it...I upgraded to an OS (not cheap by any means)...all because you posted all those pics and all the discussions about your suite. We are thrilled. No Stan and Jim entertaining here...it's Deb and Jim now. If only our friends from previous cruises were travelling with us:o I don't know how we will go back to a B4 next Sept on our Rome to Venice.

You may have some culture shock! The first time we were in an OS (it was on Regatta) we were used to being in a PH. We were a group of four couples that had set up a number of private tours together and one of the other couples hosted a cocktail party in their PH one evening. I couldn't believe how small the PH felt after the OS!

But life got back to normal a cruise later and I felt quite at home in the PH.

I imagine the same will be your experience when you return to a "B".

In the meantime, enjoy your OS!

Mura

Congratulations, Debbie and Jim! You did the right thing.

You are going to be thrilled with the Oceania Suites, guys- and don't forget about the fully stocked bar. If you don't throw a cocktail party -or three-, how will you ever make use of the excess?

092445.jpg Everyone should experience hosting a cocktail party on a cruise ship, at least once in their lives. It is incredibly carefree. When else will you ever have the chance to leave the party with your guests, and come back to an absolutely immaculate room?

023222.jpg Have an amazing cruise! I wish that we were sailing with you.

Hopefully, we will find ourselves on the same ship again, soon.

Where's that "jealousy" emoticon when you need it? Just picture this guy green, :(.

If we were sailing with you we'd have to crash daily to get a taste of the good life, up from steerage. Have a great time!

• 8 months later...
TA's get the first choice..some TA's do not contact their clients immediately..

Jancruz1

I am booked in a PH3 on Riviera for October sailing and really would like the space of an OC but am having a hard time justifying the price to upgrade. Final deposit is due in about 2 weeks and presently there are

2 OC, 4 Vista and 2 OS left. Do you think it is worth taking the chance on an upsell after final payment with those suites still open? I also read in a previous post that someone had their TA call Oceania and make an offer on one of the top suites and Oceania agreed to the price. I am wondering if Oceania would entertain an offer? Would very much appreciate you opinion. Thank you.

I am booked in a PH3 on Riviera for October sailing and really would like the space of an OC but am having a hard time justifying the price to upgrade. Final deposit is due in about 2 weeks and presently there are

2 OC, 4 Vista and 2 OS left. Do you think it is worth taking the chance on an upsell after final payment with those suites still open? I also read in a previous post that someone had their TA call Oceania and make an offer on one of the top suites and Oceania agreed to the price. I am wondering if Oceania would entertain an offer? Would very much appreciate you opinion. Thank you.

It is always worth a try..Call the day after final payment and dont be shy and negotiate!!

Jancruz1

I'm so glad we don't have the temptation. All the OS, VS, and OC's are booked on our next sailing. It's our first time on Oceania and I think we will be very happy with our aft PH3 balcony.

A little off thread topic, but we booked a cruise 2 weeks ago and leave in 2 weeks. Again, we snagged an aft balcony! So excited! :D

We used a TA. We booked a PH3. We were first offered an upscale to an OS for $2000pp. A few weeks later, the price dropped to $1500pp. This week the upsale was $1000pp. This time, I told our TA to go for it!

We used a TA. We booked a PH3. We were first offered an upscale to an OS for $2000pp. A few weeks later, the price dropped to $1500pp. This week the upsale was $1000pp. This time, I told our TA to go for it!

I think what we can all learn from this thread is that hearing about the Up-Sale offer in a timely manner is KEY.

That is an area where a Travel Agent who is in fairly constant communication with the cruise line anyway, can really shine.

You know what I mean:

"Thanks for the help, Bob, but before I hang up, are there any Up-Sales available for my client in the Penthouse on the Black Sea Cruise?"

All the OS, VS, and OC's are booked on our next sailing.

From time to time I see people mention how full their cruise is or how many staterooms of different types are still available. How do you find this out? Do you call OCL?

We booked direct with Oceania. This is our 1st time with them (though we have sailed extensively onboard Renaissance, Princess and Azamara ships)

and because of this and the nature of our itinerary (Miami to Lima on the Regatta) I've had quite a few questions regarding the "free" air, post cruise to Machu Picchu etc etc. I've had some fabulous reservation agents that have not only given me their extension but took it upon themselves to send me info on their favorite restaurants in Miami and other tips.

We have had 4 upsell offers and 3 move over offers come directly to our email.

I don't discount the value of an excellent travel agent, but if you are pro active with your reservation you won't be left out in the dark.

I might add we are in an inside cabin and as new Oceania cruisers we have no frequent cruiser status ....that has been the only tough pill to swallow in our choice for Oceania! :)

From time to time I see people mention how full their cruise is or how many staterooms of different types are still available. How do you find this out? Do you call OCL?

Whenever you look at any Cruise Itinerary on the Oceania web site, scroll down to the chart for "Fares and Special offers".

There, you will see every Cabin and Suite Category listed, then the prices, and finally the "availability status", i.e Sold Out, Wait listed or available to book.

If you want to check a specific cabin, you'll have to make a "dummy" booking. If you are already booked on that cruise, when you try to book again (using the same email address) you'll get an "Already Booked" message. In that case, you'd have to create a different log-in with a different email address. I use my DW's email for that purpose. Be advised, however, that you'll soon get a friendly phone call (if you associate a number with that log-in) or email from a nice Oceania rep who will want to help ypu with that "booking". I generally ignore that email.

I don't think they like the dummy bookings; it probably messes up their activity reports, so I don't so it very often.

If you want to check a specific cabin, you'll have to make a "dummy" booking. If you are already booked on that cruise, when you try to book again (using the same email address) you'll get an "Already Booked" message. In that case, you'd have to create a different log-in with a different email address. I use my DW's email for that purpose. Be advised, however, that you'll soon get a friendly phone call (if you associate a number with that log-in) or email from a nice Oceania rep who will want to help ypu with that "booking". I generally ignore that email.

I don't think they like the dummy bookings; it probably messes up their activity reports, so I don't so it very often.

Alternatively, Don, cabin availability information for Oceania is available on some of the larger Travel Sites.

Unfortunately, Forum rules prohibit our listing them here, but if you Google "Oceania Cruises" and check the results for the more prominent names in the industry, you will come across them. ;)

PS Does anyone else think it odd that Google has become both a noun AND a Verb?

Hey Jim

Some precedence for that. In the UK I think "Hoover" is used that way.

And here in the US, despite the company's legal attempts to block, Xerox is used both ways.

Maybe each era gets to pick. I wonder what's next? :)

Hey Jim

Some precedence for that. In the UK I think "Hoover" is used that way.

And here in the US, despite the company's legal attempts to block, Xerox is used both ways.

Maybe each era gets to pick. I wonder what's next? :)

Who knows, but I just realized that Google can be an adjective too:

Didn't Barney Google have Googley Eyes?

9780878162833.jpg

By the way.. I'd like to thank Jim and Stan... When I first posted about booking a PH...you said "go for it". Now we're in a OS!

You're most welcome for the advice, but if I had realized that you were Warren Buffet's only living heir I would have directed you to the Owners Suite much sooner...

Warren-.jpg Enjoy that Suite, but be careful, they are addictive :cool:

Archived