What % are you paying for Insurance

What % are you paying for insurance? 5% or 5.5% or 6% or 6.5% ? I know it goes by age' date=' Last year it was 5% for a 55 to 65 year old.[/quote']

Could you be a little bit more specific as to why your asking.

My first response was going to be a SA response which was "Noneya", then thought better and maybe you have a good reason to ask.

What % are you paying for insurance? 5% or 5.5% or 6% or 6.5% ? I know it goes by age' date=' Last year it was 5% for a 55 to 65 year old.[/quote']

We are in are in our early to mid 30's. We are currently paying 3.2% We mainly get it in case something happens to our older family members and need to travel home in the event of a death.

Of course we also tend to do active excursions, and in case of an accident, I'm glad we have the insurance to get home in a medical emergency. Last cruise we did the FlowRider and my husband damn near broke his foot! Maybe we should start to take it a little more easy. Gosh - aren't we to young to be saying that!?! :confused: Thank goodness our gym membership starts on Monday!

Best percentage was 0%:D Both DDs traveling on an out of country youth trip. We paid for the oldest and the youngest one was under age so she was free!

Check the policy as not everything is covered. On many policies you need to buy a rider for 'adventure sports'.

DDtheOlder (she's in Europe, we live in the States) now has a medical policy that includes travel reimbursement. It was cheaper than a travel policy with medical.

I am just suggesting' date=' Those who do take out insurance compare prices .[/quote']

I agree. It would have been much more to go through the cruise line. Rather we did ours through a third party with our TA.

Your coverage makes a difference also. Evacuation coverage? Pre-existing conditions waiver?

This is absolutely true. It could cover many items such as accident and sickness medical expenses, baggage delay or lost, emergency medical evacuation, trip delay, trip interruption, trip cancellation due to illness or death in family, etc.

We also did insurance once for "cancel for any reason," in case we had to bail for a possible move across the country for work. These cost more and usually cover a % of your trip cost.

My TA did not say anything about a % rather $99 for basic insurance and $120 for premium. I haven't yet asked what the differance is as we are still 8 months and have till April 1st to add it.

Actually my agent didn't give me a %. I just took the cost of the insurance and divided it by the total cost of the trip we were insuring (which was airfare, 6 night hotel stay plus 10 night cruise) and multiplied by 100 to come up with what the % was.

I also did not add it until right before final payment.

I never buy from a travel agent or cruise company - I arrange it myself, and I don't automatically renew either. I've also found it's generally far cheaper to buy annual insurance for both of us and then have a top-up policy for my husband's medical conditions (bought through the same company - I could do it separately, but I'd have nightmares about each of them trying to palm it off on the other).

Let me just suggest insuremytrip.com where you put in the cost of the trip and the ages of the passengers and it will provide you lots of different policies with different companies and you can compare them all....and purchase it from that site also. I've used it many times and lots of people on Cruise Critic have as well.

My TA did not say anything about a % rather $99 for basic insurance and $120 for premium. I haven't yet asked what the differance is as we are still 8 months and have till April 1st to add it.

PLEASE check the fine print. MOST (not all) travel insurance must be added within XXX days of booking the cruise to have pre existing conditions covered. YOU personally may not have pre existing conditions but what about parents/grandparents??? IF you had to cancel for a family emergency that involves a person with pre existing conditions, you MAY NOT be covered.

And read through the fine print of the policy the TA is offering. Some of the TA policies are custom crafted for large agencies (MOST managed by Berkley Care, same as the cruise lines but can be ENTIRELY different policies). You may not get your money back, you may only get a "cruise credit" or voucher. How much is the medical coverage? Some of the cruise line/TA policies are sadly lacking. How much is the evac coverage? Again, some of the cruise line/TA policies are sadly lacking. Is your policy primary or secondary coverage??? How long must you incur a delay at an airport BEFORE the policy comes into effect? A lot of people are surprised by the exclusions on trip delay.

My TA said I had to buy it before final payment which is April 2nd, so the last day I could buy it thu them or HAL was April 1st. AND the $99 was per person; I don't think I made that clear before.

I will check about the pre-existing conditions because my father in-law has diabetes and just had to rebook a florida trip

Do check it. You want to be sure the evacuation amount is large enough. :)

My TA said I had to buy it before final payment which is April 2nd, so the last day I could buy it thu them or HAL was April 1st. AND the $99 was per person; I don't think I made that clear before.

I will check about the pre-existing conditions because my father in-law has diabetes and just had to rebook a florida trip

Here you go-the fine print: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Changes+%26+Cancellations&contentSubMenu=Cancellation+Protection+Plans

IF you buy the basic plan, you get 80% back ON THE CRUISE ONLY. NOTHING ELSE.

If you buy the premium plan, you get 90% back on the CRUISE ONLY and some additional bennies-lost luggage-$1000, trip delay-$500 (NOT NEARLY ENOUGH if you need hotels, air to another port, meals, etc). $10,000 medical (again, NOT NEARLY ENOUGH if you have an injury that requires hospitalization).

One GOOD thing-no pre existing exclusions. BUT I would certainly look around. There are better policies out there that cover more at about the same price. This policy is not that good for coverage AND if you have hotels/air/food pre or post cruise, IT IS NOT COVERED.

Archived