Princess Upsells?

Whimsy

Am I correct that I have been reading some info that Princess is now doing upsells? If this is true can someone post how far in advance they are making the offers from sailing. I would also like more info on what category cabin you had and what upsell was offered and for how much.

Am I correct that I have been reading some info that Princess is now doing upsells? If this is true can someone post how far in advance they are making the offers from sailing. I would also like more info on what category cabin you had and what upsell was offered and for how much.

So far (from what I have been reading), I have only seen this happen from mini suite to full suite when there are a lot of suites still available and unsold (although I could have missed posts about other upsells). I had heard they were going to do this on 'some cruises' right now. Which ones, I have no idea, or how far in advance I have no clue either. ;)

Could please explain what an upsell is?
In marketing terms, an "upsell" is a method used to encourage the buyer to spend a little more money and get something for it. Whether it's Dunkin' Donuts offering a donut with a coffee for $.05 more, Subway offering a combo of a sub, soda and chips for a little more than just the sub and soda, or a cruiseline offering a better cabin for a little more. These are all "upsells."

Holland America does this all the time and I think it's not a bad idea. Worst thing that can happen is you say no. It's a way for them to get a few extra dollars by charging someone to upgrade rather than for free. They generally (at least on Holland) have a list available along with prices. Usually the cost is less than that category would have cost if you booked it originally.

A person is already booked on a cruise. What will happen if the cruise line offers to make your cruise better for only a few dollars more? I have taken that offer and I have declined it, too. The cruise line doesn't lose too much on the deal, if they have more expensive cabins to a booked passenger and the cruise line is aware that others want that lesser priced category. Give the deal to the already-booked passenger and then get that new person, too.

Smart marketing as far as I am concerned.

Jim

Thanks for the responses.

I would just like to hear from someone who has been offered the upsell, when, how much, what category they had booked, etc. Hopefully someone who has had this will see this thread and post.

3 questions:

How do you get the upsell Fairy to visit you and are there statistics on the average upsell rates compare to regular rates.

Can you ask for the upsell fairy when boarding ?

Upsells are far rarer than an upgrade. It depends on supply and demand, and I doubt there is any rhyme or reason, or any statistics. If cabins are available close to sailing, which may or may not be the case as many sailings sell out well in advance, Princess is far more likely to upgrade someone to a better cabin and then make the lower category cabin available for sale at the going rate.

IF there are cabins available upon boarding, which is very doubtful, you can go to the Passenger Services Desk to inquire. You can't upgrade at check-in since those computers aren't linked to the booking system. You would pay the going rate for the cabin; no bargains or upsell. Every Princess cruise I've been on has had a sign at the Desk that the ship is sailing full and no cabins are available.

As for hoping for a free upgrade or an upsell, the best way to get a better cabin is to book, and pay for, the cabin you want.

From posts here, it seems that the offers only come close to departure.

I personally have'nt seen an upsell post here in quite a while

Srpilo

Hi Pete: We are less than two weeks prior to departure and I'd sure like to get an upsell offer. We are in a BC and there are many many minis and suites still unoccupied on the 28 day Ocean 10/15. I love the cabin we chose, but would certainly entertain an offer.

Upsells are far rarer than an upgrade. It depends on supply and demand, and I doubt there is any rhyme or reason, or any statistics. If cabins are available close to sailing, which may or may not be the case as many sailings sell out well in advance, Princess is far more likely to upgrade someone to a better cabin and then make the lower category cabin available for sale at the going rate.

IF there are cabins available upon boarding, which is very doubtful, you can go to the Passenger Services Desk to inquire. You can't upgrade at check-in since those computers aren't linked to the booking system. You would pay the going rate for the cabin; no bargains or upsell. Every Princess cruise I've been on has had a sign at the Desk that the ship is sailing full and no cabins are available.

As for hoping for a free upgrade or an upsell, the best way to get a better cabin is to book, and pay for, the cabin you want.

Thank you Pam for the , as usual, precise and useful information. We have a booked a no upgrade AA mini-suite( I was afraid of a no balcony window suite or not midship upgrade).

Sailing on Princess ia already a joy ! But if I can get DH in a bigger cabin,with more perks ( like priority tender boarding) the joy of cruising again and often can be even better . So just in case , I might check the Passenger Services desk... that would be after boarding I guess?.

We were booked in a AA mini-suite on the Star Princess and received an upsell to PH suite in the aft of the ship. This was a two category jump, and the price was right, approx $525 pp. We received this offer week before last, about four weeks prior to sailing. I have been checking and our old cabin still says that it is available. Probably won't be by time of departure though.

Frozennorth

Hi Pete: We are less than two weeks prior to departure and I'd sure like to get an upsell offer. We are in a BC and there are many many minis and suites still unoccupied on the 28 day Ocean 10/15. I love the cabin we chose, but would certainly entertain an offer.

What you think, maybe it's worth a phone call like OP did and inquire ? It certainly can hurt right :)

We're also less than 2 weeks away from leaving to europe too, and getting excited. I hope you guys have a great cruise, and OF COURSE I'll be following some of your "live from" while sitting in bed evernight on the Ruby :) (gotta love the free internet)..

Have a great cruise

Pete & Silvia

We sail 10/26/to Hawaii on Golden and have an AD emerald mini. We were offered a PH for 699.00 pp more. We did not accept - that 1400. was just not in our budget right now. The PH are still showing though - maybe we will get a true upgrade. We are happy with our mini too.

I just received, this week, an up-sale on our CB 10/22 cruise. We went from AB mini to WS. I saw on-line that one Window Suite was available so I contacted my gal at Princess and asked for an upgrade to the last WS.

Her first offer was several hundred dollars more than we wanted to spend. I said "thanks, but no thanks" but she continued to work on it and by the end of the day we had the suite for just $172.80 more:D

I wonder if, instead of offering free upgrades, Princess is testing upselling and making some extra money.

I'm still a big fan of the free upgrade. If they called me to upsell from a mini-suite to a full suite, unless the upsell was really, really reasonable I would tell them no.

I wonder if, instead of offering free upgrades, Princess is testing upselling and making some extra money.

Pam, that would also be my guess. They seem to be really looking at their profit margin more so lately, and upsells bring in more than just giving those upgrades away. My guess, (I know, I guess a lot :)), is that if this works out to their benefit $$$$ wise, we will see mostly upsells in the future instead of those freebies. ;)

What you think, maybe it's worth a phone call like OP did and inquire ? It certainly can hurt right :)

We're also less than 2 weeks away from leaving to europe too, and getting excited. I hope you guys have a great cruise, and OF COURSE I'll be following some of your "live from" while sitting in bed evernight on the Ruby :) (gotta love the free internet)..

Have a great cruise

Pete & Silvia

The upsells seem to be only from mini's and not from mere balconies. ;) I did email my TA a few seconds ago.

You guys have a great cruise too. Our friends Tina and Ken, currently on the Ocean, will be boarding with you on the 19th.

NCL has been doing upsells for years. It seems more fair to me than the free upgrades available to only a few. With NCL, I watch the prices each day and if a higher category comes down, I can pay less than the original price, but choose my own upsell, not take a chance on a undesirable free upgrade as Princess has been offering.Also, this evens the playing field for those of us who do not know who the TA's are that save a few Princess buyers so much money. I like to deal directly with Princess or NCL and this lets me do that with the opportunity to get a bargain.Everything is out in the open for all to see and take advantage of if there are unsold cabins.

Archived