Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

I'll do that next time and I think we'll get cards that don't charge fees.

Keep any and all hints coming.......thanks again.

The only thing I would caution you about re Capital One is that, in my experience at least, their customer service is horrific (think call center in a foreign country and someone poorly trained on the other end of the phone you can barely understand), and can't hold a candle to the folks who issue my Visa card. (I know others have had better experiences with Cap One, but I have found them to be awful.)

In addition, if, like most folks, your regular credit card gets you frequent flyer miles or something else of value to you, think about whether giving that up to save 3% (and having to deal with Cap One on top of it), is worth it.

Oh by the way, Ruthlynn (I'm Ruth Anne!), if you have a Cap One card, take that. They do not charge fees for use of cards overseas.

Not just overseas too. We just booked with Viking for next year and paid the deposit and to our surprise Citibank charged a 3% foreign transaction fee for the deposit (which was in dollars naturally.) If I'd have known I would have used my Capitol One card there too.

When we call Viking we speak with their office in California but apparently the charge went through their head office in Europe.

Something to keep in mind.

Oh, and we've had good customer service from Cap One albeit only calling from the US)

Edited by kbert92069
typo

Thanks so much to all of you who responded about the tips for our China trip! We've been to Europe twice so we have done most of your suggestions......all except carrying different credit cards.....I'll do that next time and I think we'll get cards that don't charge fees. Also, great idea about different SD cards for our camera. I have taken a virtual pharmacy before but had not thought of Ace bandages.

Keep any and all hints coming.......thanks again.

My wife is a Klutz....( but I do still love her!) She has fallen in more countries than the stock market! She often is looking at the sights and trips. (hence the need for ace bandages and Neosporin.

We often had a line waiting at cabin door needing something from the Pharmacy or "supply room". We have lent extension cords, SD cards, umbrellas, baseball caps, ponchos and even spare cameras! We always carry a spare $50 or less camera! I guess I should have been a boy scout since we are always prepared!

Everything we don't need can be abandoned to make room for purchases!

rick steve's "europe through the back door", 2009. Includes a card to be copied or cut out to put in your wallet.

It states in 5 languages, "dear thief, sorry this contains so little money." "consider changing your profession."

lol!

Edited by recyclelady

Rick Steve's "Europe through the Back Door", 2009. includes a card to be copied or cut out to put in your wallet.

It states in 5 languages, "Dear Thief, Sorry this contains so little money." "Consider changing your profession."

i have a free iPhone app called "world Nomads" for each country with phrases such as:

Don't Shoot! - beer kai chiang

Stop Thief - juah shiaw tow

Police - jing charh

Those drugs aren't mine - churh sheer doo pin bu shih war de

LOL it speaks them as well!!!

Luckily I have never needed it except to use for directions .....

Not just overseas too. We just booked with Viking for next year and paid the deposit and to our surprise Citibank charged a 3% foreign transaction fee for the deposit (which was in dollars naturally.) If I'd have known I would have used my Capitol One card there too.

When we call Viking we speak with their office in California but apparently the charge went through their head office in Europe.

Something to keep in mind.

Oh, and we've had good customer service from Cap One albeit only calling from the US)

There have been other reports on Cruise Critic of Viking using an offshore bank to process credit card charges. Even though these charges were processed as dollar amounts, some credit card companies have added fees, as if they were foreign currency transactions.

Previous advice has been to contact Viking, or your Travel Agent, to let them know that these additional fees are unacceptable, and you will not pay them.

Previous posts have indicated that the charges have been reimbursed.

Now I will digress from facts to speculation. What I suspect has happened (with no facts to back it up) is that an offshore bank went to Viking (or vice versa) and offered a sweet deal to process credit card payments. One of the results of this agreement was that some USA cruisers were charged foreign transaction fees.

Cruisers who complained were made whole, those who did not, ate the surcharge.

I don't know if this is totally accurate, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a skunk, I would avoid it.

I must to be totally open state that this never happened to me, and all of my dealings with Viking were very acceptable, so your mileage may or may not vary.

Oh, I like that "sorry this contains so little money" card! That's funny!

As to more tips: I went armed with a medicine cabinet and didn't use it, so I guess it's like umbrellas - if you take them, you won't need them, so take them! I also took a couple kleenex packs in case I had to use the "happy rooms" without toilet paper - used little of those, too! One thing I DID take, and use, was individual hand wipes, though they were supplied quite often (one, at least) at the restaurants we ate at with Viking.

As to Cap One, I think they offer air miles, too, or at least I sure hope so, as we are racking up the points awfully fast now that we use them and seldom use another card. Luckily we have not had to deal with customer service yet, so I can't comment on that!

As to the camera I use, it's a Canon 30D (SLR) with two lenses which go from 24 to 200mm. I also occasionally use a Lumix point and shoot by Panasonic, which has a Leica lens. The Canon is "only" 8 megapixels, which is a dinosaur by many people's standards now, but it is still a great camera, as long as you don't mind lugging around a big one! I can often see the grain when I use the Lumix, but it's a great camera for a point and shoot. Of course, I DO use a little bit of Photoshop to clean up pictures, though not a lot. In China, because there was so much haze/smog/fog/gray sky, many of my pictures came out looking pretty dull with low contrast. They were really ugly, so I bumped up the contrast a little bit. I left some of the gray, because I like reality, but everything was washed out, and I hated that. If your China pictures look disappointing because of the haze, you might try putting them in Picassa (or maybe it's Picasa - in any case, free software to download) and fixing them up. I think they have a way to increase the contrast. As an alternative, some cameras allow you to bump up the contrast right in the camera. I spoke to a woman from Alaska on our cruise who was using a Canon and had her camera set that way, but my camera doesn't have that option. Anyway, if you're looking for a good SLR, I'd go for the Canon line (Rebels are great) and if you're looking for a good P&S, the Lumix is great.

Anyway, if you're looking for a good SLR, I'd go for the Canon line (Rebels are great) and if you're looking for a good P&S, the Lumix is great.

There's no question that Canon makes great DSLRs, as does Nikon, but I would add that anyone who is looking for a good DSLR (or really any camera) should go to a camera store and try out a number of them from different manufacturers. Cameras "feel" different to different people, and you need to feel comfortable holding and working with yours, especially a DSLR. Also, you may find that the menu systems on some lines of cameras feel very intuitive to you and you'll find them easy to use, whereas others seem very strange.

Buying the camera that's right for you is a very subjective thing. Try out a bunch.

The only thing I would caution you about re Capital One is that, in my experience at least, their customer service is horrific (think call center in a foreign country and someone poorly trained on the other end of the phone you can barely understand), and can't hold a candle to the folks who issue my Visa card. (I know others have had better experiences with Cap One, but I have found them to be awful.)

In addition, if, like most folks, your regular credit card gets you frequent flyer miles or something else of value to you, think about whether giving that up to save 3% (and having to deal with Cap One on top of it), is worth it.

CapOne does have a rewards program (multiple plans, in fact), so you aren't giving up any value just to save 3%. If you don't have one of their reward cards, you can call and have it changed. Last time I spoke with them, I spoke to a US-based rep who was very helpful.

Edited by Peregrina651

There's no question that Canon makes great DSLRs, as does Nikon, but I would add that anyone who is looking for a good DSLR (or really any camera) should go to a camera store and try out a number of them from different manufacturers. Cameras "feel" different to different people, and you need to feel comfortable holding and working with yours, especially a DSLR. Also, you may find that the menu systems on some lines of cameras feel very intuitive to you and you'll find them easy to use, whereas others seem very strange.

Buying the camera that's right for you is a very subjective thing. Try out a bunch.

AGREED!! Take your time choosing; you are making a big investment. When I bought my DSLR, I went to a couple of different places (big box store and camera store) and played with the cameras. In the end, my choice went to the camera that felt best in my hands. Once I decided on which camera then I went shopping to find the best price.

As to the camera I use, it's a Canon 30D (SLR) with two lenses which go from 24 to 200mm. I also occasionally use a Lumix point and shoot by Panasonic, which has a Leica lens. The Canon is "only" 8 megapixels, which is a dinosaur by many people's standards now, but it is still a great camera, as long as you don't mind lugging around a big one! I can often see the grain when I use the Lumix, but it's a great camera for a point and shoot. Of course, I DO use a little bit of Photoshop to clean up pictures, though not a lot. In China, because there was so much haze/smog/fog/gray sky, many of my pictures came out looking pretty dull with low contrast. They were really ugly, so I bumped up the contrast a little bit. I left some of the gray, because I like reality, but everything was washed out, and I hated that. If your China pictures look disappointing because of the haze, you might try putting them in Picassa (or maybe it's Picasa - in any case, free software to download) and fixing them up. I think they have a way to increase the contrast. As an alternative, some cameras allow you to bump up the contrast right in the camera. I spoke to a woman from Alaska on our cruise who was using a Canon and had her camera set that way, but my camera doesn't have that option. Anyway, if you're looking for a good SLR, I'd go for the Canon line (Rebels are great) and if you're looking for a good P&S, the Lumix is great.

I've been looking at a couple of the newer Canons so it's great to see the results you got with an older model and less pixel count (also thanks for your suggestions re: contrast). We already have a nice Canon P&S so we're good there. Thanks!

Edited by zelker

AGREED!! Take your time choosing; you are making a big investment. When I bought my DSLR, I went to a couple of different places (big box store and camera store) and played with the cameras. In the end, my choice went to the camera that felt best in my hands. Once I decided on which camera then I went shopping to find the best price.

Exactly what I've been doing. :) I also have to be careful on not getting something too heavy because of arthritis issues in my fingers and wrists. It's been years since I shot my Pentax film camera but I always loved the wide range of control you have with an SLR (or DSLR in this case) vs P&S.

I've been looking at a couple of the newer Canons so it's great to see the results you got with an older model and less pixel count

I'm sure you are aware, but in case others reading here aren't, the pixel count is not related to how good the photo is, it's just that more pixels will let you print the image in a much larger size, or crop it and still have a great image....

Camera mfrs have done an incredible job of selling the American public on "more is better" when it comes to pixels, when that's not precisely true, certainly not beyond where most digital cameras have been now for years (8 or more MP). Most folks don't do anything more with their photos than store them on a computer and share them on line, yet zillion pixel images are clogging up memory and take forever to email or upload to sharing sites.

(And I say this as the owner of a Nikon D7000, which is a 16.2 MP camera!)

I agree with those of you who recommend test driving and thinking long and hard about cameras before buying one. I also agree that many people, actually probably most people, don't need a million mega pixels.

One thing I used quite a bit in China that I loved was the "Cotton Carrier" - and no, I have no association with them! It's basically a holster that you wear on your chest and slide the camera into. It keeps the camera out for use all the time, and you can pull it up quite quickly if need be. There's also a tether in case something happens. The holster keeps the camera from bobbing around, which was especially helpful in China when we did a lot of walking. It looks a little funny, especially for a woman, but I love it. I think there's a picture of me in Tiananmen Square wearing it in my gallery. The thing wasn't cheap, but it wasn't outrageous, either, and it's really well made and lightweight, too. You can also attach a second body if you want, and maybe a second lens. I just carried my second lens separately, though.

It's been years since I shot my Pentax film camera but I always loved the wide range of control you have with an SLR (or DSLR in this case) vs P&S.

Most of the digital P&S cameras have picture taking options which allow you the same range of control (f-stop, etc.) that you had with the old fancy film cameras.

Most of the digital P&S cameras have picture taking options which allow you the same range of control (f-stop, etc.) that you had with the old fancy film cameras.

For the non pro, the new point & shoots are wonderful!

I bought the Olympus SP-810UZ superzoom with a 36x (24-864mm equiv.) 3.0" LCD and 720p HD video recording.I am going on a African Safari and didn't want to have to change lenses with all the dust! Wonderful camera with anti shake and face recognition. I was going to buy a Nikon 3100, but a pro convinced me I would be better with a high end point and shoot.

we live about 10 minutes from the Viking HQ, so you go over in person. They are the nicest, most helpful people I've ever dealt with on cruising!

It must be pretty neat to go over there. They were always great on the phone! (Including the reps in Boston, too!)

Dear kbert92069,

We understand your surprise over the “Foreign Transaction Fee,” especially when it is denominated in U.S. dollars. Please be assured that Viking does not control these bank-imposed fees nor does Viking derive any benefit from them, monetary or otherwise. We can, however, offer some assistance. At your convenience, please do the following:

- Fax a copy of the credit card statement that lists the fee

- Send it to 818-594-8459

- Attention: Foreign Transaction Fee

- Include your Viking River Cruises booking number

- Include your mailing address — you will hear back from us within 2-3 weeks

Should you have any other questions or concerns please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you resolve this matter. And it may seem a ways off, but we’re already looking forward to welcoming you aboard Viking Emerald in October!

Kind regards,

Viking River Cruises

We understand your surprise over the “Foreign Transaction Fee,” especially when it is denominated in U.S. dollars. Please be assured that Viking does not control these bank-imposed fees nor does Viking derive any benefit from them, monetary or otherwise.

But Viking does control which bank they process these charges with. If Viking is using a United States based bank, then charges made by those with USA credit cards would not be subject to a foreign transaction fee.

Yeah, you have controls just like on a SLR but it's control of a very limited range of choices. I only get a handful of f-stops on my P&S (6 stops 3.3-6.3) while my DSLR can stop down to 16 or smaller (and yes, I do step it down that far). But that's not really the issue. I went to the DSLR for the quality of the sensor and the quality of the lenses--that's what determines the quality of the image. That and I hated the delay on the shutter; it drove me nuts!

Thanks to Viking cruises for a response. I find it impressive that they monitor here and respond. Thanks to the other responders too including the invite to visit. :)

We first called Citibank and checked with them and they simply reversed the charges. I'm not sure if it was just "good will" or they sensed a mistake but all is well now. Never needed to call the TA or Viking.

Cruise Critic has been great for me. It's amazing that great minds here think alike. :) I have just begun shopping for a new camera as well in anticipation of our China cruise. We got back from our European cruise and I was disappointed with many of the photos. Flashes are often not allowed and ceilings can be distant. The point and shoot with all the bells and whistles including the anti-shake feature and 12x optical zoom simply couldn't cut it.

I appreciate the discussion of cameras here too.

Karl

Cruise Critic has been great for me. It's amazing that great minds here think alike. :) I have just begun shopping for a new camera as well in anticipation of our China cruise. We got back from our European cruise and I was disappointed with many of the photos. Flashes are often not allowed and ceilings can be distant. The point and shoot with all the bells and whistles including the anti-shake feature and 12x optical zoom simply couldn't cut it.

Karl

Hi Karl, just in case you haven't found it yet, there's also a helpful "Photo and Camera Discussions" forum in the "Photo Gallery" forum here on CC. I think it gets overlooked a lot.

It sounds like you are ready to go the DSLR route. Happy to answer specific questions if I can. One thing I love about my camera is that it is terrific in low light shooting at high ISOs with little "noise." Great for night shots and interiors where you can't use flash (or where the subject is too distant for a flash to be effective). For what it's worth, below is a shot that I took at 200mm in the dim light of Pit 1 of the Terra Cotta Warriors. (I probably have better examples at home of low light photography in China but I can't access those images from work.)

But the real difference I think between a DSLR and a good P&S is that the former will focus much faster, and so if you are taking pictures of moving subjects, you are more likely to get the image you were trying to capture, and also have that image be in focus.

China20111864.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

:) I have just begun shopping for a new camera as well in anticipation of our China cruise. We got back from our European cruise and I was disappointed with many of the photos. Flashes are often not allowed and ceilings can be distant. The point and shoot with all the bells and whistles including the anti-shake feature and 12x optical zoom simply couldn't cut it.

Karl

On the other hand, don't take too long in deciding because you want to be able to practice sufficiently before you leave for China. You especially want to practice low-light photography for the Warriors.