Which tie with tuxedo?

NauticalOne

Good day all. Wife and I are sailing on Ruby on Nov. 27th (first time Princess cruisers) as a present for my 50th birthday (wonderful wife I have). I have decided to rent a tux for the two formal nights instead of bringing one of my suits, extra shirts and dress shoes from up here near Seattle down to FLL (garment bag). Anyway, noticed on the tux rental site that Princess links us to, that there are a lot of tuxes with "straight" ties instead of bow ties. I have not worn a tux too many times, but when I have it has always been bow ties. From those of you that have "been there, done that"- which tie is the right choice? On another note- I have noticed that there are several different choices for vest with the tux (different colors). Do the men tend to wear tuxes that are more conservative or use the different color vest and ties? Thanks for any advice.

-Glenn

I own and have rented many times, I always use a bow tie and add any color to match my wifes outfit.( i do like all black most times)

You will look great in the Tux.

enjoy your cruise

Thanks Jim, was leaning that direction already...just not sure. Really looking forward to this trip. -Glenn

Most of the gentlemen wearing tuxes on board tend to go conservative, which is why I tend to go less conservative. Try the more colorful look to stand out from the crowd. One other thing that I've done is to eliminate the tie completely and go with the fancy buttoned-down shirt look. That, combined with a colorful vest is a unique look....and the women love it.

Have a great cruise.

MJ

I prefer a vest and a straight tie. I think a straight tie goes much better (more stylish) with a vest, than a bow tie. It's been a long time since I wore a bow tie with either a vest or a cumberbund.

A straight tie is the current fashion trend now. However, a bow tie is more formal. If you want two different looks bring a straight tie from home and rent the bow tie.

I have straight ties that go with my vests/tux. If I didn't have my own formal wear, I wouldn't use the same ties that I might pair with a suit with a tux/formal vest.

I like a straight tie; this way I can wear a vest to help hide my “little” paunch!!! Another reason I try to stay away from a bow tie is because I hate the butterfly collar on the shirt. (Those little flaps bug the heck out of me.)

But I do have a couple colorful bow ties and cumber buns that I wear occasionally!

You can’t go wrong with either though!

Do the men tend to wear tuxes that are more conservative or use the different color vest and ties? Thanks for any advice.

-Glenn

I have worn both types of ties and have used different colors to vary the outfit. I have also used a vest on one formal night and a cummerbund on the next.

When wearing a bow tie I like the ones that light up, rotate and squirt water. :D

... Another reason I try to stay away from a bow tie is because I hate the butterfly collar on the shirt. (Those little flaps bug the heck out of me.) !

You can have a formal shirt without the flaps as per attached.

clooney-and-pitt-at-cannes.jpg

I have worn both types of ties and have used different colors to vary the outfit. I have also used a vest on one formal night and a cummerbund on the next.

When wearing a bow tie I like the ones that light up, rotate and squirt water. :D

LOL - I think that would be the only acceptable reason to ever wear a bow tie :-)

Good on you OP... there's nothing that feels quite like wearing a tux! Whether it's a classic bow-tie or the "euro" (aka straight) tie.

I bought mine for my first cruise, and thankfully it still fits. ;)

On the cruise I was just on, I did this...

Packed my tux, and two shirts. One classic white tux shirt with the wing collar, and one black micro-fibre tux shirt with a normal collar. I bring a black vest, and three ties. (I prefer the straight tie). That way, I can mix up the shirt/tie combo, and it all works with the black vest. I have matching handkerchiefs/pocket-squares for each tie.

Next time, I might pack a bow tie and cummerbund, just so I can show off my studs. Only drawback to the straight tie. :)

DH wears pointed collar tuxedo shirt vs flap collar. He has a collection of bow ties and cummerbuns. He never wears a vest with his tuxedo. I agree with the poster who said he likes to show his handsome studs and cufflinks. A straight tie covers the studs.

DH says if it's good enough for James Bond it's good enough for him. Bow tie and cummerbund every time. He wears suits and long ties all the time, for him a bow tie is synonymous with special events.

I will add that I think the east coast is less trendy in men's formal wear than the west coast. Most of my husband's friends would never wear the things we see on the awards shows, for example. This is not a judgment on my part as to what is appropriate; merely a style observation.

I think anyone over 40, man or woman, should avoid looking like a prom date. Whatever that means.

We're not supposed to correct spelling on this site, but I can't help myself.

Cummerbund. Say it correctly and you will spell in correctly.

Personally I prefer a vest on a man in a tux ;) Not too picky about the tie, both look great.

A very good online resource is the Black Tie Guide. This page addresses neckwear specifically:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Neckwear.htm

But it's well worth looking through the whole site, starting with the Introduction, and seeing what is classic and what... well, just falls short.

See also:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Shirts.htm

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Waist.htm

Archived