Question about last minute booking guarantee cabin

blue cow dog

Thank you. That is what my travel agent just told me. Guess I am going to play craps. LOL waiting on my conformation for my booking. Just turned my 7 day cruise into a 14 day cruise.

Seven days is good; 14 days is better. Enjoy! :)

I booked on the Crystal Harmony a guarenteed oustide for minimum. All I had was the cabin number, no ticket. When I got to the pier they tried to give me a minimum cabin because "...that is what you paid for. SIR!". I insisted on speaking to the Purser. He realised they made a mistake; however, they gave my cabin to someone else. I told him that was his problem, not mine. We got a GREAT upgrage.;)

pax et bonum,

Kevin

Congrats. DH would love to turn our 7-day cruise into a 14-day one but the week following our cruise is sold out. I'm still waiting for our cabin assignment, but the cruise is 68 days from now. We knew the cabin assignment for our last cruise before the final payment date.

Thank you. That is what my travel agent just told me. Guess I am going to play craps. LOL waiting on my conformation for my booking. Just turned my 7 day cruise into a 14 day cruise.

Don't sweat it too much. Basically the guarantee cabins are assigned by two factors: Captain's Circle Status, and how early you booked.

Recently we booked the Coral about 4 months out and we wound up with an aft facing oceanview cabin DD. My Dad who is elite and booked at the same time wound up with a BE Balcony Stateroom.

Captains Circle Status and how early you book has NOTHING to do with the cabin that you are assigned when you book a guarantee cabin.

If that were the case I'd be in a full suite every time. I didn't respond initially because I figured somebody else would take care of it. Thanks.

Who is right???

It's too bad we can't find a Princess employee who works in the Upgrade Fairy Department to give us the real scoop.

I always get the vision of a Gary Larson cartoon (The Far Side) of a group of people with blindfolds playing "Pin The Tail On The Donkey" except the "Donkey" is a cruise ship deck plan.

;)

In June I booked the cheapest guarantee inside cabin as a solo cruiser 8 days before sailing for a cheap price, and got bumped up to the highest category of inside cabin on the Lido deck. I had never even seen an inside cabin before I arrived and opened the cabin door! LOL Kind of a shock at first glance, but it turned out to by cozy and quite pleasant.

I liked the location so much that I have booked a specific inside cabin on the Lido for a 7day cruise next month! Since I am going solo again, it fits my budget. B-)

I booked on the Crystal Harmony a guarenteed oustide for minimum. All I had was the cabin number, no ticket. When I got to the pier they tried to give me a minimum cabin because "...that is what you paid for. SIR!". I insisted on speaking to the Purser. He realised they made a mistake; however, they gave my cabin to someone else. I told him that was his problem, not mine. We got a GREAT upgrage.;)

pax et bonum,

Kevin

Interesting experience. Keep in mind that on Princess Cruises if one books a Guarantee cabin at the minimum category then there is a possibility that a cabin in that category is what you will get.

In other words, one should never book a guarantee in a cabin category that you are not happy with. (oft repeated advice on this forum).

There are so many stories about first time cruisers getting crazy upgrades. Do you think it may be that new cruisers don't price shop like those of us who cruise often? Maybe they are paying a higher price and the upgrade fairy sees that...?

Interesting experience. Keep in mind that on Princess Cruises if one books a Guarantee cabin at the minimum category then there is a possibility that a cabin in that category is what you will get.

In other words, one should never book a guarantee in a cabin category that you are not happy with. (oft repeated advice on this forum).

Don't forget a guaranteed outside would never be at minimum rate.:)

Pax et bonum,

Kevin

Well we will be happy with what ever we get. Happy to be on the boat. Happy to be doing back to back cruises for the first time. And if the Upgrade Fairy happens to smile on us, we won't complain.

Thank you all for your stories.

It is a ship. Remember, you can put a boat on a ship, but not a ship on a boat.;)

Pax et bonum,

Kevin

India Tango Sierra

Alfa

Juliet Oscar Kilo Echo

Ok all, I know the difference. Its a standing joke in our family calling the ship "the boat". We call just about anything on the water a boat.

I grew up on the Illinois River and spent all weekends between Easter and Thanksgiving on the "Boat" (ranging from a 28 foot Owens to 36 foot Chris Craft and finally a 43 foot Burnscraft which we drove down the Illinois to the Mississippi across the gulf of Mexico then across the state of Florida via Lake Okeechobee), I am well aware of almost all nautical terms and flags.

again,

A boat can either be a dinghy, row boat, fishing boat, or sailing boat and they can be quite large, but are usually more practical than luxurious.

A yacht is normally a larger and much more luxurious sea vessel than a boat. Tell the owner of a yacht that they have a boat and they are likely to take offense. Yachts are not generally used for commercial purposes, but are luxury recreational vessels. They can either be sailing yachts or power boat yachts.

There are a couple of different styles of yacht that can be differentiated: a regular yacht starts at about 34 feet, a mega yacht is more than 100 feet and a super yacht is any yacht that is longer than 200 feet.

A ship is a very large sea vessel that is generally used for commercial purposes such as shipping cargo between ports around the world or a cruise ship or passenger ship for transporting people.

There are so many stories about first time cruisers getting crazy upgrades. Do you think it may be that new cruisers don't price shop like those of us who cruise often? Maybe they are paying a higher price and the upgrade fairy sees that...?

I think 1st timers are upgraded more than seasoned cruisers because the cruise lines are trying to lure them back with the hopes of future upgrades, which usually don't happen. :(

Archived