Restaurant Recommendations in Old San Juan

SAC69

Aguaviva is our favorite, seafood, and also Parrot Club for Puerto Rican food.

Have fun. The Ritz Carlton has BLT and we have not eaten there but understand it is a great steak house.

In the art museum is Picayo (sp). I understand it is very romantic.

Enjoy.

Carol

I was in San Juan on business in May. We ate at Raices recommeded by our local coworkers.. Don't be put off by the fact that they dress in costume and seem to play to tourists. Enjoyed the mofungo and the Guava/Passion Mojito. Just on the edge of the Condado and old San Juan is Ropa Viejo, another very local destintation and food. Short bus or taxi ride.

Hi,

We are on the Eclipse next March and will most likely look for a good restaurant in town since we don't dock until 3:00. Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!

AQUAVIVA - One of my favorites in LatinAmerica - Enjoy !!!

I'll list our faves in no particular order. We're foodies so we've defintely checked out several places in OSJ. We recommend these for various reasons:

- La Bombanera (been there for 109 years, great place, one of our faves)

- La Mallorquina (another great place for authentic PR cuisine)

- Marmalade (quite froo froo but probably the best food in OSJ, ask for Eric the server)

- Raices

- Old Harbor Brewery

- Lupi's (kind of like a Chi-Chi's and close to the dock)

- Barrachina (the Flamenco dance shows on Fri and Sat night are awesome)

We're spending 2 days in OSJ before our cruise next month and looking forward to trying some new places.

I'll list our faves in no particular order. We're foodies so we've defintely checked out several places in OSJ. We recommend these for various reasons:

- La Bombanera (been there for 109 years, great place, one of our faves)

- La Mallorquina (another great place for authentic PR cuisine)

- Marmalade (quite froo froo but probably the best food in OSJ, ask for Eric the server)

- Raices

- Old Harbor Brewery

- Lupi's (kind of like a Chi-Chi's and close to the dock)

- Barrachina (the Flamenco dance shows on Fri and Sat night are awesome)

We're spending 2 days in OSJ before our cruise next month and looking forward to trying some new places.

I've been asking about a floor show in SJ so thanks for the recommendation to Barrachina. Can you book the show or do you have to reserve for dinner as well? Or are reservations even required?

I've been asking about a floor show in SJ so thanks for the recommendation to Barrachina. Can you book the show or do you have to reserve for dinner as well? Or are reservations even required?

Hi Carole, I went there back in February before my last cruise on Summit.

It looked like everyone who was watching the show was eating dinner.

I was not the one who made the reservation so not 100% about

seeing the show without having dinner.....there were about 7 of us

(if memory serves) and we all had a really good time:)

Oh, Carole we are not in San Juan on the weekend and I don't think

they have a show during the week....I could be wrong but I think it

is only Fri/Sat. We are not in San Juan on those days. (unless you

are asking about a different sailing).

See you next month:)

Hi Carole, I went there back in February before my last cruise on Summit.

It looked like everyone who was watching the show was eating dinner.

I was not the one who made the reservation so not 100% about

seeing the show without having dinner.....there were about 7 of us

(if memory serves) and we all had a really good time:)

Oh, Carole we are not in San Juan on the weekend and I don't think

they have a show during the week....I could be wrong but I think it

is only Fri/Sat. We are not in San Juan on those days. (unless you

are asking about a different sailing).

See you next month:)

Thanks Lois....I went to their website and yes, only shows Fri/Sat...so that's out. Another time, another cruise as there's always 'one more' isn't there! Next month seems far away, how about 4 weeks and a day...LOL!

Another vote for Raices in Old San Juan, & walkable from the ship, provided it docks in OSJ. We ate there twice on our pre cruise stay last November prior to our Millie cruise. Their food is fantastic, & although it's located in a tourist area, the majority of diners are local residents, which speaks volumes. Alas, Celebrity doesn't offer their 10/11 dayy sailings any longer, so this year we are forced to Princess for a 10 fall Caribbean cruise.

Another vote for El Convento hotel restaurant. We always head for

El Picoteo and have a wonderful dinner of tapas. Their mojitos are to die for ! We enjoy eating in the open courtyeard with candles burning and the huge picoteo tree with lites in it..... lots of ambience.

Is it crazy to return to the ship for dinner or is San Juan a must for dining off the ship?

Hi,:) in my opinion it is not crazy to return to the ship. The only time

I have eaten in San Juan is pre-cruise. I don't consider it " a must"

to eat in town at all......I am sure others will disagree.

Different strokes for different folks. Do what is best for you:)

I am not sure where you dock but if tis by the Sheraton then try Dragonfly. Its a very short walk from this point on Fortaleeza st. or a short cab ride from the other dock. Its a Latin-Asian fusion place with live music. Good food and lotsa fun. :D

Hi,:) in my opinion it is not crazy to return to the ship. The only time

I have eaten in San Juan is pre-cruise. I don't consider it " a must"

to eat in town at all......I am sure others will disagree.

Different strokes for different folks. Do what is best for you:)

Who doesn't like a meal that's already paid for on board? :) if there isn't a must try place in SJ, might as well hop back on board! I'm sure the MDR is empty and you have the full attention of the waitstaff.

Another vote for El Convento hotel restaurant. We always head for

El Picoteo and have a wonderful dinner of tapas. Their mojitos are to die for ! We enjoy eating in the open courtyeard with candles burning and the huge picoteo tree with lites in it..... lots of ambience.

Totally agree. Their mojitos are the best I've ever had, and the atmosphere is beautiful. Our group for next February has no solid plans for San Juan except for mojitos and tapas at El Convento, and that plan has been in place literally since the day we booked this cruise. :cool:

(PS-a float of Bacardi Select in a homemade mojito seems to fake it pretty well. Now if only I could get the courtyard and that amazing tree in my living room...)[/

:D. Yeah I would love to have that tree in my yard too...... It's over 350 years old !!!!

I live in PR and I wouldn't go to Old Harbor Brewery. It's a tourist trap. My favorites in OSJ are in South Fortaleza St. Marmalade, Dragonfly and Parrot Club. The food at El Convento Hotel is hotel food, not great for puertorricans. If you take a cab (a short ride) go to the Condado area and there you have Budatai, Bar Gitano, and Casa Lola (great pr food) all by our Iron Chef Roberto Trevino. Pikayo is excellent and is now at the Conrad Hotel in Condado. Ropa Vieja Grill is another excellent. Ummo is a steak house with nice puertorrican dishes. Just to let you know Pikayo is one of our pricest rest.

Archived