RCL Wine Policy

Yugum

I usually bring a box/bottle of wine on board to enjoy in balcony/suite rooms on cruises (X, HAL, Princess) - but also buy plenty of wine and other spirits all over the ship too.

By my reckoning, RCL and NCL are the only major lines that do not permit bringing wine on board. RCL has a pretty stringent policy noted. Is this policy strictly enforced or has anyone had wine (bottle or box) confiscated before boarding ship? Any departure points specifically harsh?

Thanks for any replies.

I usually bring a box/bottle of wine on board to enjoy in balcony/suite rooms on cruises (X, HAL, Princess) - but also buy plenty of wine and other spirits all over the ship too.

By my reckoning, RCL and NCL are the only major lines that do not permit bringing wine on board. RCL has a pretty stringent policy noted. Is this policy strictly enforced or has anyone had wine (bottle or box) confiscated before boarding ship? Any departure points specifically harsh?

Thanks for any replies.

A simple search would result in you finding 73893798327389273 threads on this.

There is no simple answer. Some people are successful, others are not.

We have packed a 3 liter box of wine in our luggage wrapped in a beach towel then in a large zip lock bag with no problems. I guess there is always a first time, but until we are caught we will probably keep doing it. We also purchase lots of alcohol on board but like to have wine out on the balcony later in the evening.

We always used to bring a couple bottles of wine on board with us. They were wines that we couldn't get on board. Anyway, we didn't realize that RCI changed their policy and we were called to the "naughty room" where they proceeded to open our bag and remove the wine. They delivered our un-opened wine the last night of the cruise. I don't even try to take it on any longer.

They delivered our un-opened wine the last night of the cruise.

Caution: Reports are the policy has shifted on this and items confiscated at embarkation port might not be returned at cruise end. Items brought onboard at port stops usually are. In cases where originating and destination ports are different (repositioning), where you might be taking as gift for someone at destination, then declaring them at boarding and asking for storage might work out OK. But bottom line is don't take anything you can't afford to lose.

Caution: Reports are the policy has shifted on this and items confiscated at embarkation port might not be returned at cruise end. Items brought onboard at port stops usually are. In cases where originating and destination ports are different (repositioning), where you might be taking as gift for someone at destination, then declaring them at boarding and asking for storage might work out OK. But bottom line is don't take anything you can't afford to lose.

Good point. I did read this before and, I have to say, I would have been sad if that was the policy when they held my wine as it is a wine that I can't get locally and I have it shipped to me from California.

A search on the RCI website now states:

Guests are not allowed to bring either alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soft drinks bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, supply alcohol to people aged under 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or at any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Unlike hard liquor that you cannot get delivered by the bottle, you will have absolutely no problem having bottles of wine delivered (or purchased and taken with you from a bar) for you to enjoy in your cabin - no problem at all.

Thanks for any replies.

NCL DOES allow it...with a $15 "corkage" fee per bottle. No box wine allowed!

Yes, please feel free to use the "Search this forum" button on the top right hand side of the main page. It is infinitely better than the general search function for the entire site. Use "alcohol" or "smuggling" and you will get many, many replies.

Even better: After you click on the "Search This Forum" button in the upper right corner of the RC page, click on "advanced search" and search from the next screen. Almost never fails.

• 3 months later...
I've read approximately 1 billion posts about smuggling wine on board. The one thing I haven't seen though, is what do you do with it if you have successfully gotten it to your cabin? Do the stewards care if they see it?

Stewards don't care. However, cabins are periodically checked by supervisors and also there is a bar person who checks the minibar daily to see if anything has been used. These people DO care. Now if it is wine the ship carries, no problem at all. If not or if it is a bottle of hard liquor, they will take it and the steward will get in trouble. Best to keep such items stashed.

Thanks for any replies.

Get caught and your wine belongs to RC. They no longer return confiscated alcohol:rolleyes:

This happened to us on Freedom in 2010. Wine taken from our luggage following embarkation, and was NOT returned at the end of the cruise.

Can you purchase 1 bottle of wine on the ship? All I see is a package with a minimum of 5 bottles. I too like to have a glass on the deck. I don't want to wait 30 - 45 minutes for room service. I also don't need or want 5.

Yes.

You can order it before your cruise through the Gifts and Gear section of RC's website.

You can buy it in the dining room.

You can buy it at some bars.

Archived