PreCruise Hotel Question

Kelleykrazy

I am cruising on the RSS Mariner, April 2, 2012 from Barcelona to Istanbul and I was wondering when Regent usually informs cruisers which hotel they will be staying in pre-cruise. I want to map out my plans for the city and wonder when this detail will be ironed out. Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight.

Regent typically lists their hotels in the "Voyages" booklet that comes out a couple of times a year. We are staying in Barcelona on 11/27/2011, the hotels are as follows:

Standard Suites: Hotel Condes de Barcelona

Premium: Hotel Casa Fuster or Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I

We have noticed Regent tends to use hotels in the area of Las Rambla for their pre-cruise stays.

There is a chance that the hotels can change. . . . you may want to check with your TA or Regent. I also expect a new booklet to arrive soon.

And you can always call Regent and ask. E.g., I wanted to know which hotel they were using for Venice pre-cruise in July (and was disappointed to learn that it wasn't a particularly good place).

We decided for the pre-cruise hotel to not take a chance.... Also sailing on 4/2 out of Barcelona... Took the credit Regent offered and booked Hotel 1898 on Las Rambles....short cab ride to the pier and no wait for a bus load of people!!

Staying there 2 nites :)

We decided for the pre-cruise hotel to not take a chance.... Also sailing on 4/2 out of Barcelona... Took the credit Regent offered and booked Hotel 1898 on Las Rambles....short cab ride to the pier and no wait for a bus load of people!!

Staying there 2 nites :)

And, we'll be checking into the 1898 after we get off Mariner from the TA on April 2. You keep the 1898 in good shape and we promise to keep the Mariner in good shape for you. Staying there 3 nites.:-)

And, we'll be checking into the 1898 after we get off Mariner from the TA on April 2. You keep the 1898 in good shape and we promise to keep the Mariner in good shape for you. Staying there 3 nites.:-)

Also on the TA in March. Have you any opinion on the Hotel Arts a Ritz Carlton I believe? DW and I are also staying for 3 nights. The first I have read about the Hotel 1898. Any further thoughts on this hotel will be appreciated.

Also on the TA in March. Have you any opinion on the Hotel Arts a Ritz Carlton I believe? DW and I are also staying for 3 nights. The first I have read about the Hotel 1898. Any further thoughts on this hotel will be appreciated.

Did some research on the boards about 3 months ago and there were quite a few recommendations for 1898. Believe it is #4 or so for BCN on Travel Advisor. We've never been to BCN and decided the best place to stay is on Las Ramblas and the location is great, right near the Plaza.

In truth, we also have reservations at Hotel Continental which is about a block away. Pricing is a consideration and with BCN as expensive as it is for hotels in the area we want, Hotel Continental is about 1/2 of 1898 but, nowhere near as nice although the reports say it is OK for a short stay. Evidently all the rooms have pink walls. They do have a 24 hour free buffet including beer and wine that is rated so so. Am also concidering Le Merdian once we get our Starwood Points Bonus which should be in about 4 weeks. Will have enough points for all 3 nites free but, without the breakfast included in the other hotels.

Really a tough decision as not expecting to spend a lot of time in or room. We've got a little time to make a final decision as we have reservations. Regarding reservations, when we started looking, available rooms were hard to find as the next weekend is Good Friday and Easter Sunday but, have been looking recently and rooms appear to be available.

Our thoughts right now are 1898 but, will make a final decision by the end of December.

Hi Dave, u probably know your other Starwood property to consider in Barcelona is the W hotel...breakfast at either of these properties is expensive 26-31Euro for their buffet.

Thanks for the info Wes. Yes, am aware of the W but, it is 20000 points per nite while the Le Meridian is 12000 and once I get my points, will only have around 34000 so buying 2000 isn't a big deal. Also, want to stay on Las Ramblas and W is quite a distance away. Can't afford the number of points for W. Still hashing out the options and since I have two reservations already and the SPG should be available in a month or so when I get the rest of my points, will make a final decision around that time. Don't think I can go wrong with any of the choices and don't have to eat at the hotel for those kind of prices, especially for breakfast. Dinner would be a whole other story.

Thanks for the thoughts Wes.

You bet... We will also try to not run the bar out of liquid refreshments prior to your arrival! :)

While we are the subject of hotels..... Could you all give me some thoughts on Istanbul.... I have a reservation and frankly at this point don't even remember the name but it is in the Old City....any preferences in that area? We will be there 3 nites... Flying out Sunday morning at the godawful hour of 5:30 am

Guess I have researched so much I have fried my brain... What little I had In the first place :)

While we are the subject of hotels..... Could you all give me some thoughts on Istanbul.... I have a reservation and frankly at this point don't even remember the name but it is in the Old City....any preferences in that area? We will be there 3 nites... Flying out Sunday morning at the godawful hour of 5:30 am

Guess I have researched so much I have fried my brain... What little I had In the first place :)

Well, when your brain cools down, have a look at your reservation. :) There are quite a few really nice small hotels, called Ottoman Inns, in the Sultanahmet. I would hesitate to make a recommendation, since our stay was 7 years ago, although our hotel, Dersaadet, has gotten good reviews in the interim.

RallyDave, we stayed at the Hotel 1898 following our Mariner cruise in August. The public areas are very nice and their breakfast is truly outstanding! We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was very quiet.... didn't hear any street noise (as it was located in the back and not on La Rambla), but the layout of the room was impractical and not especially comfortable. The worst aspect of our stay, though, was the service.... or lack of it. Our room wasn't serviced till 5PM. And you needn't worry about Nana depleting the liquid refreshments before you arrive..... not at the prices they charge for a drink! My suggestion (and what we did): bring the leftover booze from your suite when you leave the ship.

Dersaadet is one of the boutique hotels I was looking at when I was scheduled to embark in Istanbul. Very very high reviews on TripAdvisor.

I also looked at Sari Konak ("Yellow House") and Mavi Ev ("Blue House").

(Mind you, a boutique is not a Four Seasons, but I _want_ that; I find them very refreshing, unique per locale, little touches you never would have thought of, staff you develop feelings for.)

I had waited too late in my planning to find availability at these three and had relegated myself to any of a dozen places with a decent breakfast, rooftop terrace, and a room safe. I'd have been satisfied; I'm easy. However, that leg of the WC was cancelled, so I stayed home.

N.B.: Some folks who stay in the Sultanahmet area complain about being awakened by the early morning (6am or earlier perhaps?) call to prayer by the muezzins, broadcast by loudspeakers in that area. I sure wouldn't let that stop me from staying in the most interesting part of Istanbul, and I think I'd actually enjoy it -- I'd imagine that it would wake me for a few minutes, but that I'd roll right over & go back to sleep, because I'd have gotten to bed so late the night before, having oversampled the delights of that magnificent city.

Dersaadet is one of the boutique hotels I was looking at when I was scheduled to embark in Istanbul. Very very high reviews on TripAdvisor.

N.B.: Some folks who stay in the Sultanahmet area complain about being awakened by the early morning (6am or earlier perhaps?) call to prayer by the muezzins, broadcast by loudspeakers in that area.

That was the one drawback of our room at Dersaadet. There was a loudspeaker *right opposite* our window, I swear. And it was very loud. I think it's 5 times a day, isn't it? The only one I remember was in early morning, although there might have been one in the afternoon during our post-lunch nap!

Thanks for all the info everyone. I called Regent SS yesterday and they said we are booked at Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I. I hear it is a bit out of the way but I would imagine my daughter and I will find our way to the attractions of the city. Does anyone have a "MUST SEE" selection for our short stay in Barcelona?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I called Regent SS yesterday and they said we are booked at Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I. I hear it is a bit out of the way but I would imagine my daughter and I will find our way to the attractions of the city. Does anyone have a "MUST SEE" selection for our short stay in Barcelona?

Las Ramblas

The Boqueria

The Montjuic funicular

One or more of the Gaudí properties: Sagrada Familia (you MUST at least see this from the outside, even if you do not have time to go in -- astounding), Park Guell, Casa Batlló

The Hoho is a good way to learn the layout of the city, and get a passing acquaintance with the architecture, sites and culture of Barça. Great city!

By the way, we stayed at the NH Duc de la Victoria, just off the northern end of Las Ramblas. Extremely well priced (so much so, we worried it might be a pit), but extremely clean, modern, fairly spacious rooms by European standards, and good breakfast buffet. I might consider taking the Regent credit and book here. I would not have any hesitation staying there again.

It looks like your cruise departs on a Monday which means your free time will be on Sunday (the same as our cruise departing next month). Many places are closed on Sunday. . . in fact, we had some difficulties finding a restaurant open. Some were open until approximately 4:00 p.m. but not in the evening. Just something to consider while making your plans.

We toured Barcelona on a Sunday in September and all tourist places were open. The inside of the Sagrada Familia is a must. Unfortunately, there is presently so much scaffolding around the outside of the building that it is difficult to appreciate the view from the outside. But the inside is gorgeous and very near completion.

You will find that restaurants in Spain are open for lunch and close until dinner time - being 10 pm! Just plan accordingly.

According to recent research, many restaurants close at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday and do not reopen until lunch the following day. This is even the case in our hotel. We prefer not to eat at "tourist" establishments so our choices are limited. Having been to Barcelona previously, we decided on an Irish pub. It has food that we are not able to get at home.

Archived