R ships or the newer Marina?Riviera?

Redtravel

We first experienced Nautica in 2009, then Marina on her maiden voyage, and we're scheduled on Regatta the end of November.

The R ships are cozy and comfortable, but more "old school" formal, while Marina is more "modern" in feel, and she's a beautiful lady. The art is more prominent on Marina, and it is varied and interesting. Yes, Marina is larger, but there are still lots of little corners and cubbys on deck to enjoy your privacy. Although it's twice as many passengers, Marina doesn't feel crowded. The two extra specialty restaurants and Baristas are a wonderful addition (Baristas in the early morning is probably the thing I will miss most on our upcoming cruise aboard Regatta). The culinary center and art loft are both fun activities during the days at sea. The stage in the theater is larger, allowing more elaborate shows than on the R ships. Tapas offers more a-la-minute items because of their large cooking stations just inside the doors to the outdoor dining area. The ice cream station in Waves is more elaborate and convenient than the carts on the R ships. The smoking area in Horizons has been enclosed so there is no smoke smell elsewhere in the lounge.

The Library on the R ships is more private and inviting to many. The GDR and Tapas both feel a bit more crowded because the tables are closer together to accommodate more passengers. The layout of the closets in the regular verandah type cabins is more successful aboard the R ships. Many agree the addition of the tubs in the regular cabins on Marina was less successful than hoped (there has been discussion a spray shower with a longer hose and a shower curtain will be added at the next opportunity to make the bathtubs usable as showers also - a homerun, if you ask me). Marina's baths are beautiful, but the shower ceiling and rain head shower is problematic for taller than average folks. The bath storage on Marina is better than the R ships.

Interestingly, although the two ships are really quite different in many ways they are definitely related. You will feel as if you know Marina immediately because of the similarity of the layout to the R ships. You will experience the same wonderful group of people, crew and passengers, you've experienced aboard the R ships. And best of all, the service and food are up to the standards you've come to expect aboard the R ships.

When we boarded Marina the first time, I thought I would prefer the R ships because of their smaller size and the intimacy that afforded. I thought I might prefer Marina because it was new and had more to do onboard. But in the final analysis both are wonderful experiences. As many have said on these boards, I will choose O for the itineraries and all the wonderful food, service and experiences it offers, but I have no preference among her ships.

They both have their good & bad points

If you want larger bathroom (not the shower) go with the new ships

I found the shower even though small was better on the R-ships

Just a personal choice

We will be on Regatta in Nov and Marina next April. Your concise yet informative write-up on both ships provided very useful information. This will be our first OC cruises after 2 on HAL. Looking forward to both. Very happy you did not post small problems that can be easily overlooked when taken in context of the total cruise experience.

Thanks again.

I'm glad to hear they have enclosed the smoking area in Horizons on the new ships. That's my one major complaint about the R ships-the pervasive smoke smell is very apparent, at least to someone like me who is very allergic, even early in the morning, at the earlybird breakfast. Yuk! Maybe they will find a way to enclose the smoking area on the R ships as well.

Or better, eliminate smoking inside entirely. On our last cruise there were only about 5 people who smoked but they smoked constantly and made one large section of Horizons unusable to most other people.

Or better, eliminate smoking inside entirely.

Great idea, azam71209. O should consider a smoke free environment for the entire ship. A litttle loss of "smoker" business would be surely compensated for by those wanting (or needing) a smoke free environment.

The line before Oceania, from which the R ships were acquired, had a no smoking anywhere policy and went bankrupt. That said, it would be lovely- the nonsmoking, not the bankruptcy.

Anyway, to answer the posters question - we have been on all the Oceania ships, but last month on the Regatta and on the Marina three months ago, so both are still fresh in my mind.

I am a M class convert. I like the intimacy of the R class and fewer passengers, but found that and the library the only thing in its favor. I found the cabins (balcony) much nicer on the Marina and although the showers are still small, the bathrooms on the Marina win hands down.

Although many do not like the theater on the Marina, I liked it much more than the lounge type theater on the Regatta. The stadium seating made it easy to see the stage from any seat.

Having the four specialty restaurants on the Marina was a treat, especially because the two new ones were our favorites - Red Ginger, especially with Jacque a close second. We loved the Barista as well and the Filet and lobster sandwich in Waves was wonderful at lunchtime.

The library on the Regatta was much nicer and brighter than on the Marina. Seating there was meager and you would trip over the person sitting down when going to get a book from the shelves. The book choices were still wonderful.

The main push for Marina, in my opinion, is the separate room for smokers in Horizons. I have never found smoke smart enough to stay in the smoking section - the people creating it might be in a separate area, but the smoke permeates the whole room. My husband and I love afternoon tea, but only went a couple of time on the Regatta as the 20 or so people in that area created enough smoke to make the entire lounge reek. It just wasn't worth the headache (literally) to spend time there. The separate room on the Marina in that area kept the smoke contained.

All said, I prefer the Marina type ship and have two more cruises booked on the Riviera. I would go on an R class ship again, but if the itineraries were the same and the pricing similar, the Marina would keep winning out for me.

The line before Oceania, from which the R ships were acquired, had a no smoking anywhere policy and went bankrupt. That said, it would be lovely- the nonsmoking, not the bankruptcy.

I don't think the nonsmoking policy had much, if anything, to do with the bankruptcy, even ten years ago when smoking rates were much higher in the population than today.

Renaissance had built many ships in a short period of time, travel agents were not supportive of the line (in the beginning I think they were not included in commissions, though I don't know that with certainty), and worst of all, there had been terrorist attacks and the world was growing uneasy and then the worst attack of all hit on September 11, 2001. Naturally that caused cancellations on all cruise lines, and the cancellations grew. It hit Renaissance especially hard most likely because of having so many ships built, i.e. cash flow, not having the deep pockets of some of the mainstream lines, etc.

It was just too much all at once, and Renaissance declared bankruptcy.

Although we've had lovely cruises on Natica, my clear vote goes to Marina.

The concern I'd heard from many was that the Marina would not afford the intimate experience of a smaller ship.

But I have long felt that it is not the size of the ship, but the Space-per-Passenger ratio that is more important. The R-Ships fill with 684 passengers on 30,227 gross ton ship. The Marina fits 1,250 in 66,084 gross tons. So, the R-ships have a space-per-passenger ratio of 44.19 gross tons per passenger while the Marina affords 52.87 gross tons per passenger. So, the Marina is actually more spacious than the smaller ships and, IMHO, it really feels that way. It also has a better guest-to-staff ratio, 1.57 to 1 versus 1.71 to 1 on the R-ships...

We never had the feeling of being on a "large" ship.

I also appreciated that the smokers were, more or less, closed off (though I too would prefer completely non-smoking!)...

Another advantage, in my book, was a comfortable theater-type showroom with great sight lines from all seats with better stage facilities--allowing an upgrade in entertainment (even though it is still not O's strong point, it was definitely improved over out prior O voyages). I know it doesn't have the same utility for other, more social uses that the lounges on the R-ships have, but there are other venues for that and this set-up does work better for entertainment.

The FOUR specialty restaurants is a major advantage. After all food IS one of O's strong points and the choices on Marina give some excellent variety to the dining experience.

The one major edge I'd give to the R-Ships is the ability to get into smaller ports . The Marina, for example, had to use Le Verdon whereas the R-ships, apparently, were able to travel upriver clear into Bordeaux...but this is a concession I will gladly make for a s seldom as it may be an issue.

Though I wouldn't hesitate to book a future cruise on an R-ship, my preference now is clearly the Marina-class...

I don't think the nonsmoking policy had much, if anything, to do with the bankruptcy, even ten years ago when smoking rates were much higher in the population than today.

Renaissance had built many ships in a short period of time, travel agents were not supportive of the line (in the beginning I think they were not included in commissions, though I don't know that with certainty), and worst of all, there had been terrorist attacks and the world was growing uneasy and then the worst attack of all hit on September 11, 2001. Naturally that caused cancellations on all cruise lines, and the cancellations grew. It hit Renaissance especially hard most likely because of having so many ships built, i.e. cash flow, not having the deep pockets of some of the mainstream lines, etc.

It was just too much all at once, and Renaissance declared bankruptcy.

Not to mention that Renaissance was to meet with their bankers in 9/12/11 to restructure their financing. That was what pushed them over the edge.

Smoking had nothing to do with it, neither did the "ban" on children. The three cruises we took with Renaissance were also full. OTOH, there were always cheaters as far as the smoking was concerned.

By the way, I had friends on board when 9/11 happened and they said that Renaissance treated them just fabulously.

Mura

The main push for Marina, in my opinion, is the separate room for smokers in Horizons. I have never found smoke smart enough to stay in the smoking section - the people creating it might be in a separate area, but the smoke permeates the whole room. My husband and I love afternoon tea, but only went a couple of time on the Regatta as the 20 or so people in that area created enough smoke to make the entire lounge reek. It just wasn't worth the headache (literally) to spend time there. The separate room on the Marina in that area kept the smoke contained.

Benita, I completely agree with you. I loved the Marina and the separate room in Horizons for the smokers was a huge plus for me, too. I was really hoping for no smoking on this beautiful new ship.:( Maybe the Riviera will be smoke free........:)

• 3 weeks later...
Although we've had lovely cruises on Natica, my clear vote goes to Marina.

The concern I'd heard from many was that the Marina would not afford the intimate experience of a smaller ship.

....We never had the feeling of being on a "large" ship.

I also appreciated that the smokers were, more or less, closed off (though I too would prefer completely non-smoking!)...

Another advantage, in my book, was a comfortable theater-type showroom with great sight lines from all seats with better stage facilities--allowing an upgrade in entertainment (even though it is still not O's strong point, it was definitely improved over out prior O voyages). I know it doesn't have the same utility for other, more social uses that the lounges on the R-ships have, but there are other venues for that and this set-up does work better for entertainment.

The FOUR specialty restaurants is a major advantage. After all food IS one of O's strong points and the choices on Marina give some excellent variety to the dining experience.

The one major edge I'd give to the R-Ships is the ability to get into smaller ports . The Marina, for example, had to use Le Verdon whereas the R-ships, apparently, were able to travel upriver clear into Bordeaux...but this is a concession I will gladly make for a s seldom as it may be an issue.

Though I wouldn't hesitate to book a future cruise on an R-ship, my preference now is clearly the Marina-class...

That summarizes my opinion as well after seven weeks away from this forum.

Thanks, Steve. :D

Welcome back CintiPam - you and your sober posts were missed (by me, anyway).

Thanks, Paul. My absence mostly was due to very good events.

I spent two weeks on a trip to China in October with 15 other fellow art museum docents: Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Taipei (the terrific Palace Museum), and Hong Kong. I returned home two weeks ago with bronchitis from the pollution. A fabulous trip, great art, and now I have a much better appreciation of how wonderful my life is in the U.S. It is so tough there; I really admire the friendly and hardworking attitude of the Chinese people, who really struggle daily.

And right before that, my daughter decided to set her wedding date for next September, so we were scurrying around to book the venues. My planned late August Istanbul to Lisbon trip is kaput for now. With both children marrying next year: son in June on the Jersey shore and daughter here in Cincinnati in late September, we probably will miss a year of cruising unless I can find a nice Oceania itinerary for early October. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sober? Egads, what an awful thing to say about a lady! :eek:

Insouciant, delightful, charming, insightful, yes........

but Sober???

I like sober - to the point, not over the top :D

Insightful is good too. Delightful and charming - I'll save for Pam herself, when we finally meet :)

after having sailed on both classes of O ships we absolutely prefer the smaller ships: easier to navigate and much more cozy. looking forward to LA to Tahiti on Dec 16 aboard Regatta.:D

Did you cast your vote (see post #9 above)?

I recently have toured the 2 ships of the Oceania fleet , the first being the new Marina and the second being the Riviera in New York city.

Look at the 2 links below , you'll find a few slide shows from my tours and extensive photo documentation comparing the 2 classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fX1c-DnqI&feature=related

My opinion is that the Marina class is bigger and offers more services while the R class is very intimate and comfy in the style of 30's & 40s ocean liners and classic yacht style.

I would recommend the R class ships as a starter then the upgrade to the Marina class ,

I do have to say Marina is a beautiful ship that offers a whole new array of innovations for it's guests and the dining options.

Looking forward to the Riviera and the inaugurals.

Look at the videos and see for yourself.

Cheers!:D

I recently have toured the 2 ships of the Oceania fleet , the first being the new Marina and the second being the Riviera in New York city.

I am sure you meant the Regatta ;)

Both the Oceania class ship & the R-class ships have their good & bad features

It is a personal preference as to what one you sail

Look at the 2 links below , you'll find a few slide shows from my tours and extensive photo documentation comparing the 2 classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fX1c-DnqI&feature=related

My opinion is that the Marina class is bigger and offers more services while the R class is very intimate and comfy in the style of 30's & 40s ocean liners and classic yacht style.

I would recommend the R class ships as a starter then the upgrade to the Marina class ,

I do have to say Marina is a beautiful ship that offers a whole new array of innovations for it's guests and the dining options.

Looking forward to the Riviera and the inaugurals.

Look at the videos and see for yourself.

Cheers!:D

Not to be argumentative, but touring a ship and cruising on it for a couple of weeks are two different things :)

Not everything is gold that shines. Nobody can deny that Marina is truly spectacular to the eye (and brand new), but it also has its "blemishes" (as do R ships) - it's really a personal preference.

One thing that few people will argue with is that Marina serves some of the best (if not THE best) food at sea.

PS thanks for the great videos.

Archived