Second Open Letter to Frank Del Rio

tanny18

Disappointed to learn that Mr Del Rio is no longer the person in charge. From what I've read, he was responsive and sensitive to his customers. From what I've experienced with the new "people in charge", I can't say the same.

Where is Mr. Del Rio now?

As I understand it, he and/or the new president of Oceania, Bruce Himelstein, are the persons "in charge" right now. Frank Del Rio DID NOT answer my letter....Gonzalez did, albeit, a definite "standard" answer. Right now, I don't know what to do. :( Maybe tomorrow I'll call the Treasury Dept and see what I can get in writing from them and take it from there!! Arlene

Good luck . . . We have never had any kind of reasonable explanation from Gonzalez about anything.

I doubt anything can be done now they have your money.

Makes you wonder about "your world your way" doesn't it. :confused:

Just to let you know that Myanmar was eliminated a full month BEFORE final payment was made; however, Chennai, the substitution, was taken away AFTER final payment.... while I'm not justifying what Oceania did, as per my letter, we all had ample opportunity to cancel before final payment was made. We all chose to stay....We're just very disappointed that an unacceptable port was chosen in place of Chennai. As for looking elsewhere, that's a matter of choice. I and my DH will continue to sail with Oceania. Arlene

Sorry - we misread the communications re Myanmar.

Mind you, having done this cruise last year I would have pulled out when Myanmar was removed because it was the highlight for many of us and, apart from Africa, the main reason why we and many others went.

Last year we had 3 African ports removed after final payment, which cause a furore as they were the main African points of interest, and we were left with some pretty poor choices.

We have only ever cruised on Oceania but the last two cruises (45 days and 35 days) have left us a little disillusioned, and sadly we are re-thinking our options.

We cancelled the cruise we were going on this year (SF - NY) and are now thankful we did as, according to this board, the main attraction for us on that trip was also cancelled.

Good luck with it all . . . .

• 4 weeks later...
......I have also written a formal letter to Del Rio a copy of which was emailed last Friday. I do not expect the snail mail version to arrive until this week. I am still expecting a reply.

I find it hard to believe that some middle level employee of Oceania is not monitoring this thread. I am ever hopeful of a sensible outcome to this whole sorry saga.

Actually, I believe that it is FDR himself that reads these threads - at least he is the one responding from time to time.

It is now 4 weeks since my letter was posted (a copy was also emailed). I have today received my documents and there is still not even an acknowledgement.:mad:

I consider this to be the height of rudeness and have decided to publish the full content of my letter so that others may judge whether a reply was warranted.

The saddest thing about all this is that is is now probably too late for any further action on Oceania's part.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Reference:

Mr Frank J Del Rio.,

Chairman & Chief Executive Officer.,

Prestige Cruise Holdings, Inc.

8300 N.W. 33rd St.,

Suite 308,

Miami, FL, 33122

USA

Dear Sir,

Cancellation of visit to Yangon, Myanmar:

On about 30th June of this year passengers who had booked berths aboard Oceania Cruises NAUTICA for the voyage from Cape Town to Singapore received the disappointing news that our itinerary had been changed for the second time. We were advised:

During our normal itinerary review process, we have been made aware that Burma (Myanmar) is an affected country for purposes of travel under the enforcement guidelines imposed by the United States Department of the Treasury.

In light of these circumstances, we have amended the itinerary and replaced our call in Burma with calls in Cochin and Chennai, India and an overnight stay in Colombo, Sri Lanka. ”

I had misread the advice and automatically accepted that the reason for Oceania dropping Myanmar was because of some US State Department advisory relating to security and accepted this disappointing situation with equanimity.

Then just one week ago we were advised of yet a third change to the itinerary which included two particularly uninviting ports of Mangalore and Trincomalee. This change appears to have been brought about by nothing more than bad planning in the first place.

In view of all the changes I have now taken a look at the U S Department of The Treasury website regarding the original decision to cancel the Yangon visit. This site:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/burma.aspx

Apart from the general advice I examined the Sanctions Brochure:

BURMA: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT U.S. SANCTIONS AGAINST BURMA (Myanmar) - An overview of the Burmese Sanctions Regulations -- Title 31 Part537 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations

I have been unable to find any mention of Burma being “an affected country for purposes of travel” which was given as the reason for it being dropped from the cruise.

Further, in the OFAC Frequently Asked Questions, in answer to the question “Can I get permission from OFAC to transact or trade with an embargoed country?”, it states “OFAC usually has the authority by means of a specific license to permit a person or entity to engage in a transaction which otherwise would be prohibited. In some cases, however, legislation may restrict that authority. [09-10-02]”

Excerpts from the Overview of Sanctions Brochure say:

NO IMPORTATION OF PRODUCTS OF BURMA - With certain exceptions, goods of Burmese origin, pursuant to rules of origin of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, may not be imported into the United States.

EXPORTATION OF GOODS AND NON-FINANCIAL SERVICES TO BURMA - There is no general prohibition on the exportation of goods and services other than financial services to Burma. However, other restrictions may affect these transactions, such as the prohibition on the exportation of financial services to Burma, the blocking of the property and interests in property of certain persons in Burma, and the prohibition on new investment in Burma.

In the light of the foregoing it would appear that there never has been any impediment to NAUTICA visiting Yangon posed by the U S Department of The Treasury.

One could now ask is there any Travel Advisory against visiting Myanmar? I have checked the “Travel.State.Gov” site and find that Burma (Myanmar) is not subject of either a Travel Alert or a Travel Warning. On the Burma specific page attention is drawn to past events with the advice that “There is no indication that these attacks targeted U.S. citizens or U.S. Interests.” and “In light of these incidents, you should exercise caution in public places at all times.”

In view of the forgoing I would ask you to consider rescheduling the original visit to Yangon by NAUTICA.

You will be aware of the ill feeling caused by these changes and the considerable damage that is being done to Oceania's reputation. Many recall that NAUTICA visited Yangon in 2010 and that if anything things have improved in Burma since; they see no logic in the omission.

I believe it would be in Oceania's best interests to look again at the cruise as it stood in June 2011 with a view to providing your passengers with the cruise they expected.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

Michael CALDER AM.

Captain RAN Retd.

I am sorry to hear, though not surprised, that no changes were made.

It is a real shame as I am sure Myanmar was one the highlights of this itinerary and many people booked this cruise because of the itinerary.

Not everyone will be able to return to Myanmar on their own - perhaps ever.

The biggest shame of it is that this appears not to have been done for safety or any other obvious "good reason" - especially, considering the Nautica's visit there in 2010.

It is now 4 weeks since my letter was posted (a copy was also emailed). I have today received my documents and there is still not even an acknowledgement.:mad:

I consider this to be the height of rudeness and have decided to publish the full content of my letter so that others may judge whether a reply was warranted.

We are so sorry you have not heard anything back, but are not surprised.

Oceania has certainly changed since we started cruising with them and it is not for the better.

For the past 7 years we have only cruised with them but are now off on our first non-oceania cruise next week.

We never thought it would come to this, but over our last couple of cruises they have given us cause to feel let down and disenchanted with them.

I guess the only way they may wake up to their actions is when their loyal clients start looking elsewhere.

We were on the 2010 cruise and Myanmar was the highlight of the trip, so we can imagine how upset you must be.

We had a wonderful time in Myanmar - as did everyone we talked to.

Judging by the contents of your letter there doesn't appear to be any valid reason for not going this time.

Given that you are now stuck with a second rate cruise itinerary we sincerely hope you do manage to have a good time.

Cheers

Yes, I know that we are supposed to put on a happy face and make the most out of our cruise.........and of course we will. BUT we are hugely disappointed and actually disgusted with Oceania. We hate being deceived.

We were prepared to book another extended O cruise while on board but we have explored several cruise lines after the most recent SNAFU regarding port changes and the Yellow Fever Vax debacle.

Thanks ozdroggy01.....your letter was clear and well written. Shame on Oceania. We are looking elsewhere for our next cruising experience.

We were prepared to book another extended O cruise while on board but we have explored several cruise lines after the most recent SNAFU regarding port changes and the Yellow Fever Vax debacle.

What was the Yellow Fever vaccination problem, vaitape?

From today's NY Times

Hillary "Clinton to Visit Myanmar as Dissident Leader Rejoins Politics"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/world/asia/clinton-to-visit-myanmar-next-month-as-aung-san-suu-kyi-rejoins-politics.html?_r=1&hp

ROTFL - Yes, I heard it on the news last night. Oceania could now help the US achieve its foreign policy objectives :rolleyes:. In the old days the Brits called it "Showing the Flag" but maybe the Marshall Islands flag just won't cut the mustard.

What was the Yellow Fever vaccination problem, vaitape?

YHH, on our cruise invoice, O stated that a yellow fever vax was required for Madagascar, despite what the CDC and WHO noted on their websites and despite what our Infectious Disease physician advised us on 12 October when we had our consult. We went ahead and had the vax because we didn't want to be denied boarding.

I'm not sure of the exact date we received our cruise documents from O but it was prior to Nov 10. On the upper left corner of page 1 of the documents, there is the headline "YELLOW FEVER INOCULATION-REQUIRED" under "HEALTH REQUIREMENTS". It states that all guests MUST have an International Certificate Vaccination Card, approved by WHO, at check-in prior to embarking Nautcia.

Then on 10 November, we received the following notice from O via our travel agent:

Yellow Fever Update

Dear Guests and Travel Professionals,

We have reached out to each country visited on the upcoming voyage of Nautica December 22, 2011 to verify their requirements for Yellow Fever Vaccinations. We are pleased to inform you that all countries report that Yellow Fever vaccine requirements have been lifted.

Should you have any questions in regards to the above, please do not hesitate to contact us at 800-531-5658.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Oceania Cruises

This eMail was sent by: Oceania Cruises

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite 308 Doral, FL, 33122, USA

So happy they reached out and touched someone in each of the countries we are visiting regarding immunization requirements.....but a little late in our opinion. Add that misinformation on top of flimsy reasons for 1)deleting Burma and 2)changing Madras to Managlore and Trincomalee and you've got passengers (that would be us, perhaps not you) who feel hoodwinked at best.

Mr.'s Del Rio and Gonzalez better inform Hillary that the US Dept of Treasury will be after her for "willfully violating" its laws. Del Rio and Gonzalez have looked after our safety so well....but WAIT! Safety isn't really at issue here after all, is it??

Thanks for the update.

While it is not good to have an unnecessary YF vaccination, better than being told you don't need it and then find out you are not allowed off ship.

Still frustrating for you I am sure with the other things going on with this cruise.

I asked about that YF requirements with particular interest for an upcoming cruise we have booked.

Recently DW and I attended different Travel Clinics. After reviewing the itinerary her doctor advised YF vaccination was not needed. My doctor advised me that a following country *might* deny me entry. While she didn't think I should get the vaccination for my health but that due to a possible scenario a stickler could make me stay on board (not to debate the points in this thread) She advised that I recheck with the cruise line - O said not needed so I'll go with that.

One irony to this is that when I was discussing this with my doctor she said that a cruise line was recently telling passengers that they needed a YF shot for their cruise and (as far as she was concerned) they did not.

With my curiosity, after reading your post I will have to ask what cruise line she was talking about when I go back next week.

In doing some research I get the feeling though that that these restrictions form one country to another are always in flux.

If it wasn't a live vaccine for YF (and somewhat expensive) I would just go ahead and get it but would rather not if not a requirement.

I hope after all this you are able to enjoy your cruise.

YHH....indeed, better to have the vax and NOT need it than to not have it and NEED it BUT, as you said, it is a live vaccine and cost $340 for the 2 of us.

What irritates/frustrates me most especially is the INCORRECTNESS of the information disseminated by O. Travel is their business and when they say something is REQUIRED, they need to be quick off the mark to update the info. There was no YF vax requirement by any of the countries we are scheduled to visit when we went to our physician consult in October. It was another month before O "reached out" and then updated their passengers.

I wonder if your consultant is the same as the one we went to.....are you in Coastal Cali?

Archived