Opening Safes?

NHNEV2003

About half of the ships in the fleet have changed over to safes that have a keypad instead of the card swipe thingy...

I would not use my Sail & Sign card for two reasons... the little safe 'remembers' the card and the cabin stewards have master keys that will open all doors. I don't know if the master would work if you used your S&S card for the safe but why risk it? Second, the safes have, on occasion, erased the info on the mag stripe. So, should that happen to your S&S card it's a trip down to Guest Services for a replacement!

:)

Don't remember what we did last year--

Why aren't you supposed to use your S&S card to open your safe?

What do most people use?

Security - your S&S card, if stolen or borrowed, can give someone access to both your cabin and the safe for easy pickings.

Don't remember what we did last year--

Why aren't you supposed to use your S&S card to open your safe?

What do most people use?

you can demagnetize the sail and sign card preventing future purchases from being made and you get locked out of your cabin

I used an old gift card for the safe

use your s&s card it's so much easier then so other type of card that you could forget I doubt you'll loose it, if you want punch a whole in it and put it on a lanyard

No don't. It demagnitses the card and you won't be able to debark at the next port without a new card.

Security - your S&S card, if stolen or borrowed, can give someone access to both your cabin and the safe for easy pickings.

If it was stolen, The person stealing it couldnt find your cabin anyhow.. The cabin number isnt on the SS card. UNLESS.. They took it to guest services and asked them. Not sure if that would work since they would need additional ID to prove its you.. But you never know..

The impression I got was:

If you use your S&S card and it erases it we will have to take time to make you a new one. If you use your own card, like a drivers license or GC, if it erases it, it's not our problem.

much easier to use an old gift card that has no value left ... then, if it demagnatizes it, who cares ...

i have used an old stabucks gift card just fine.

We use expired cards such as AAA. Using the expired card I scratch off name on the card and using the old ones such as AAA the number is the same for both wife and I so each have there own card. Don't have to worry if lost like a credit card or current card. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:):):)

Archived