Platinum free laundry, do you tip?

sewut

Hitting platinum in Jan. ......has anyone ever had an issue with t-shirts or clothes shrinking??

My husband is 6' 8", and I am 5' 11" so I never put our clothes in the dryer at home except underwear:)

I would do a test run with your clothes at home before you hand them over to be laundered on the ship. We have never had a problem with "shrinkage" :p, but we only give in stuff that we won't panic over if it did shrink. Last cruise dh put in some under-armor t shirts to be washed without me knowing. Luckily, they came back fine.

We have never had a problem either, but just curious as to how you know they wash in very hot water?

The laundry is part of the "Behind the Fun" tour. When I took the tour they were in the middle of washing guest clothing. Believe me they were using very hot water, the dryers are very hot also and dry the clothes quickly.

Clothes are not seperated, Each passangers clothing is put in a seperate mesh bag and all washed together. I did have a silk shirt ruined. It was my fault for throwing it in the bag, I knew better, but had a brain fart. Lesson learned.

We have never had a problem either, but just curious as to how you know they wash in very hot water?

Yes learned from behind the scenes.

Would not put anything delicate of my DW stuff, but all of my stuff goes and never a problem.

To the room steward it doesn't make any difference if you are getting the service for free, the effort is still the same. I always tip extra but not for necessarily just for laundry service. I usually tip a couple times during the week (lets 'em know you really appreciate their effort) and a little more on the last day.

Hitting platinum in Jan. ......has anyone ever had an issue with t-shirts or clothes shrinking??

My husband is 6' 8", and I am 5' 11" so I never put our clothes in the dryer at home except underwear:)

If you use the delicate cycle to dry it shouldn't shrink stuff. But it'd take a LONG time!

Nothing of mine shrank.

That's what I planned on for our upcoming cruise. Comments here make me wonder if I should tip when they are delivered? (I can't even imagine failing to tip for that service).

I agree, I couldn't see not tipping for this service. BUT that's just my opinion.

Yes learned from behind the scenes.

Would not put anything delicate of my DW stuff, but all of my stuff goes and never a problem.

That's interesting. Thanks. Not to steal the thread, but did you find the behind the scenes interesting enough for the price?

Handling our laundry takes very little time in relation to all of what the room steward does for us.

We show our thanks by tipping at the end. Otherwise feel like we are bribing him / her to do their job.

If you've ever worked in the service industry you enjoy being tipped, whenever. And I respectfully disagree that any tip is a bribe. IMO a bribe is an inducement to do something you shouldn't in return for something of value.

ANy time someone is doing my work for me, I tip them. i ask that the steward share the tip with the laundry persons. I am sure they have a working relationship--- get this done good and fast--- i will share tip. Maybe-- maybe not --but I go on the assumption that the steward will share with person doing the work.

I only send out stuff that has previously been in the dryer at home. Therefore, none of my stuff goes to the laundry. I just send out DH's underwear, T shirts, shorts and work out wear.

Specifically for laundry - no we don't tip just for that. We normally tip a little extra at the beginning and I used to leave something every day but have gone to about 3x on a 7 day cruise, beginning, middle and end.

We only send a small amount of the dh's stuff like boxers and t-shirts. You couldn't PAY ME to send any of my clothes to that laundry. I'm not usually sensitive about smells but there was always a smell in the dining rooms that bothered me. Nothing big - just noticed I didn't care for the smell. The first time we had laundry done on the ship it was the same smell. It smells like the tablecloths! That, combined with the hot wash, hot dry and putting all the clothes in the same washer just doesn't work for me. Suffice it to say they don't use Gain with Febreze and Downy fabric softener! ;)

Archived