Renting A Car From Tauranga

Quick search revealed this re Multi vehicle accidents http://www.sydneycarrentals.com.au/faq/question.aspx/5

I think that perhaps the use of the word "multi" is a bit misleading. I would have thought it would involve you having an accident involving other vehicles (multi) - but it reads to me that it is the case when you have an accident with a single (or more) other vehicles and a single vehicle accident is one where you hit a tree or something (no other vehicle involved)

Barry

Quick search revealed this re Multi vehicle accidents http://www.sydneycarrentals.com.au/faq/question.aspx/5

I think that perhaps the use of the word "multi" is a bit misleading. I would have thought it would involve you having an accident involving other vehicles (multi) - but it reads to me that it is the case when you have an accident with a single (or more) other vehicles and a single vehicle accident is one where you hit a tree or something (no other vehicle involved)

Barry

Thanks. I wondered if it meant that, as we hired a vehicle in Tasmania once, which didn't cover us for single vehicle accidents.

Another car hire company from Alice Springs didn't cover us, if we drove before dawn and after dusk.

You really have to read the fine print with car hire.

We have rented one from ABC Car Rentals Tauranga for NZ$110. They dropoff/pickup from Salisbury Ave, just outside the port gates near the i-site. It was more expensive for hiring a car to go into Rotorua, than just driving local ($95). Happy with their quote, and emails are answered super quick. We are there in just over 3 weeks time.

Jen

I also used ABC, on 27 Dec 2010. I took the car to Rotorua and it only cost us $95, so maybe that higher price thing is a recent change in policy.

They were lovely, friendly people, and the car was not the absolute latest model, but it was quite good to drive. We made sure it had aircon, because it's hot in Rotorua. (It had never occurred to me that if the ground is steaming that tends to make the weather feel a tad warm... ;) Doh.)

We went to Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal and were there in time to see the geyser, which blows at 10.15 and keeps going about an hour.

Have fun! :)

I also used ABC, on 27 Dec 2010. I took the car to Rotorua and it only cost us $95, so maybe that higher price thing is a recent change in policy.

They were lovely, friendly people, and the car was not the absolute latest model, but it was quite good to drive. We made sure it had aircon, because it's hot in Rotorua. (It had never occurred to me that if the ground is steaming that tends to make the weather feel a tad warm... ;) Doh.)

We went to Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal and were there in time to see the geyser, which blows at 10.15 and keeps going about an hour.

Have fun! :)

Thanks for this info, good to hear. Our original quote was for $95, but during subsequent emails, I mentioned we were going to Wai-o-Tapu, which is when the quote went up....originally said 'just driving locally'. Still I am happy with this, and their service so far is outstanding. Do you remember what time you left the port? I gather it is an hr and a half drive. Great to know that the geyser blows for an hour, hadn't read that. Thanks again.

Jen:)

Thanks for this info, good to hear. Our original quote was for $95, but during subsequent emails, I mentioned we were going to Wai-o-Tapu, which is when the quote went up....originally said 'just driving locally'. Still I am happy with this, and their service so far is outstanding. Do you remember what time you left the port? I gather it is an hr and a half drive. Great to know that the geyser blows for an hour, hadn't read that. Thanks again.

Jen:)

Maybe it's the corrosive gases etc if you go through the Rotorua region which makes them put the prices up??? I can't imagine it's that good for a car's duco, so it's probably fair enough.

We docked about 8am, and with the usual kerfuffle it took a little while to get off the ship and handover the car, so we were afraid we'd miss the geyser. We decided not to panic and just drive safely, and if we saw it we saw it. As we drove into the little side road near Wai-o-Tapu which goes off to the geyser (it's a bit separate to all the boiling lakes etc), it was about 10.30 and a heap of traffic was coming the other way. We decided to go in anyway, just to see what we'd missed... and lo and behold the thing was still blowing. The others were just leaving because they'd looked at it long enough. There's only just so long you can look at hot water shooting into the sky. ;)

And it was quite good to be there with the latecomers - not nearly so crowded!

I always had the idea in my head that it shot up into the air and if you blinked you'd miss it. But it goes for a good hour! I think they feed it something (a handful of carb soda from the kitchen cupboard or something ;) - who knows??)

If you don't make Wai-o-Tapu you could always go to Te Puia in Rotorua. It has a geyser that ramdomly erupts all day. DH reckons it was a better geyser than the other and the park has lots of other things to look at.

Thanks. We did Te Puia last time, loved it, and saw lots of Rotorua. I had trouble getting DH off the luge.:D Silly to repeat, always nice to see something different, and this one comes with high recommendations.

Cheers, Jen:)

This info may be of some use ... I've been trying to hire a car at the port in Tauranga for a few days but was having trouble getting on AT the port, rather than in town. I got one through Pegasus, but when I got the confirmation email, they said they'd pick us up in a van and take us back to their depot to collect the car. When I questioned this via email, they advised the cars were no longer permitted on the port and everyone now had to do it this way.

I have no further info on how true this is, but I did try Avis and Hertz before Pegasus, and both of them said cars were not available for pick up from the wharf (and neither did they offer any shuttle type service).

This same thing happened to us in one of the NZ Ports a few years ago - had to go to the office to pick up the car. I think I recall it to be in Dunedin.

I can understand why it would be so.

Barry

ABC rentals, whom we have booked with, pickup/dropoff just outside the port gates in Salisbury Avenue. The rule for no rentals on the docks must be fairly new, as our emails from ABC have always stressed 'outside the main gates, not inside on wharf area with other rentals'. I wonder if this is due to the extra traffic re the grounded ship atm....possibly....as I remember the cars lined up waiting for us in the past. Glad ABC have a prime spot!!

They have plenty of room on the wharf and surrounding area. Mount Maunganui has always impressed me as being one of the best organised and laid out ports in Au or NZ.

Sounds to me more like the Port have either , levied , or increased the license fees for users.:mad:

We have a car booked with Thrifty 4/12/2011- they collect us at the wharf and take us to the office at the airport for collection. Similarly we take back to the airport and they bring us to the wharf. Cost for rental is $132 for rental from 9.00am till 6pm.

We organized our car hire from Pegasus.

They also have a cruise deal: http://www.carrentalstauranga.co.nz/Tauranga-Mt-Maunganui-specials-and-deals/DealAction/cruise-ship-deal-port-tauranga/

Pick up / drop off was where the ship docks. We also hired a sat nav for the day which made driving to Rotorua easy.

• 2 weeks later...
They have plenty of room on the wharf and surrounding area. Mount Maunganui has always impressed me as being one of the best organised and laid out ports in Au or NZ.

Sounds to me more like the Port have either , levied , or increased the license fees for users.:mad:

Just completed our booking for April next year. The email exchange confirmed that no operators are now allowed within the wharf area. There is a new information site near the Salisbury gate entrance and operators have a desk within the I site. It does add to the time involved in picking up and dropping off cars - an early start for the geyser watchers!

Colleen

Archived