Renting A Car From Tauranga

Hi,

We are looking to rent a car from Tauranga. Does anyone know which compny has the best deals. It's Dec 30 so we know it might be a bit more expensive than other times of the year. Also do they drop the cars at the port, or do we have to go to Rotorua to collect the car.

Thanks

Deidre.:)

Hi,

We are looking to rent a car from Tauranga. Does anyone know which compny has the best deals. It's Dec 30 so we know it might be a bit more expensive than other times of the year. Also do they drop the cars at the port, or do we have to go to Rotorua to collect the car.

Thanks

Deidre.:)

they have rent a car at the pier but i dont know the name of the company

It would probably pay to book ahead. We have never rented one from Tauranga, but do remember seeing them there. One year there were heaps and the next year they had all been snapped up really quick.

We have seen people signing up the docs in the morning and when they come back they just locked the car and left the keys with the security guards at the port gate.

We have rented one from ABC Car Rentals Tauranga for NZ$110. They dropoff/pickup from Salisbury Ave, just outside the port gates near the i-site. It was more expensive for hiring a car to go into Rotorua, than just driving local ($95). Happy with their quote, and emails are answered super quick. We are there in just over 3 weeks time.

Jen

We booked on line with Rite Price rentals, used email to check for a wharf pick up and drop off. very conventient, paper work all ready when we arrived and no fuss key drop off in security box at the end of the day. There were cars available on the day but I would also advise booking ahead to be on the safe side and get the car and deal you want.

Colleen

We rented from Pegasus and they had the cars lined up on the dock. I recommend booking the car. They seemed to have extra vehicles there, but if you don't book you will have to take what is left over.

We used Pegasus vehicles in several ports.

We used that company and we weren't impressed very old and a lot of miles on it. We wouldn't use this company again. Have since found out that you can rent through Hertz for about the same amount and have a much newer car and unlimited kms and they had the car waiting at the Wharf.

Thrifty also had cars waiting on wharf and they were late model vehicles and about the same as what we paid, so contact them as well.

Hi,

or do we have to go to Rotorua to collect the car.

.:)

that would not be easy , as its about an hrs drive;)

-----------------------

WE have used Pegasus many times in NZ, and we are using them in 3 ports next mth..all different prices though, depending on the port

this is our Tauranga booking..it's the dearest with a pick up/drop off fee. the other 2 bks with them don't have it.

Our price includes pick up and drop off from the port gates we collect you up from the port gates

and drop you back to port gates at the end of the day very simple.

If you wish to proceed simply open the quote check all details are correct and send back and

we will confirm your booking with our pickup instructions.

Thanks again and we look forward to your booking.

Regards

Kevin

Customer Information

Name:xxxxxx

Email Address:xxxxx

Quotation #Q-xxxxx

Enquiry Date: xx

Vehicle Category:Budget,Budget Large,Compact,Subompact,Compact Late Model

Pickup Location:MOUNT MAUNGANUI port gates depot

Pickup Date Time:xxxx

Pickup Time:09:00

Dropoff Location:MOUNT MAUNGANUI depot port gates

Dropoff Date:xxxxx

Return Time:16:00

https://rentalcarmanager.co.nz

Rental Rate and Feessummer11

1 Days @ $110.00 $110.00Total number of days: 1

Unlimited Kms21+, Multi Vehicle Excess $2500, Single Vehicle Excess $2,500+gst: Daily @ $0.00 $0.00

Credit Card Surcharge 2.25%$2.48Credit Credit Card Commision Surcharge Fee

Total Estimate of Charges:NZD $112.48

(All Prices GST Inclusive)

We booked on line with Rite Price rentals, used email to check for a wharf pick up and drop off. very conventient, paper work all ready when we arrived and no fuss key drop off in security box at the end of the day. There were cars available on the day but I would also advise booking ahead to be on the safe side and get the car and deal you want.

Colleen

We used Rite Price last year also, and found them very professional and the vehicles good. I would advise booking in advance - saves missing out!:eek:

that would not be easy , as its about an hrs drive;)

-----------------------

WE have used Pegasus many times in NZ, and we are using them in 3 ports next mth..all different prices though, depending on the port

this is our Tauranga booking..it's the dearest with a pick up/drop off fee. the other 2 bks with them don't have it.

Our price includes pick up and drop off from the port gates we collect you up from the port gates

and drop you back to port gates at the end of the day very simple.

If you wish to proceed simply open the quote check all details are correct and send back and

we will confirm your booking with our pickup instructions.

Thanks again and we look forward to your booking.

Regards

Kevin

Customer Information

Name:xxxxxx

Email Address:xxxxx

Quotation #Q-xxxxx

Enquiry Date: xx

Vehicle Category:Budget,Budget Large,Compact,Subompact,Compact Late Model

Pickup Location:MOUNT MAUNGANUI port gates depot

Pickup Date Time:xxxx

Pickup Time:09:00

Dropoff Location:MOUNT MAUNGANUI depot port gates

Dropoff Date:xxxxx

Return Time:16:00

https://rentalcarmanager.co.nz

Rental Rate and Feessummer11

1 Days @ $110.00 $110.00Total number of days: 1

Unlimited Kms21+, Multi Vehicle Excess $2500, Single Vehicle Excess $2,500+gst: Daily @ $0.00 $0.00

Credit Card Surcharge 2.25%$2.48Credit Credit Card Commision Surcharge Fee

Total Estimate of Charges:NZD $112.48

(All Prices GST Inclusive)

Do you know what this means?

Multi Vehicle Excess $2500, Single Vehicle Excess $2,500+gst: Daily @ $0.00 $0.00

It means that if you have an accident you will be hit with an excess fee of $2500. Travel insurance will often cover it but it pays to check. Sometimes you can pay an extra amount to reduce the excess or wipe it out. I don't think the Pegasus cruise ship deals had that option.

We have used Pegasus 4 times now and not had a problem. A couple of times they were older cars but still clean and roadworthy. I have priced the different companies and they were the best deal for us.

As Aussiedisneyfan said, the insurance excess is usually covered by travel insurance. Ours is up to $4,000. However the 'free' bank travel insurance that comes with our Visa card does not cover the insurance excess on vehicles registered outside Australia. Check your insurance policy :D and have a great cruise.

You may find this info an interesting read. I just asked my son, who has recently returned home to Oz from spending several years in NZ. He explained that NZ is one of the few countries in the world where car insurance is not compulsory. When they pay their rego, a small amount of this goes towards an insurance covering the car at fault only and passengers for injury. There are 3 other options available....none of them compulsory to have. 1st is the Green Slip, 2nd is Fire and Theft, and 3rd is compulsory. The options of 1 and 2 may be taken out separately if you wish. The 3rd, compulsory covers you for all options...ie Third party, fire and theft, other vehicles.

This is why we have to check with the rental companies that they have the Compulsory Insurance.

Hope this makes sense. Apparently NZ has been thinking of updating their car insurance ways.

Jen

We have seen people signing up the docs in the morning and when they come back they just locked the car and left the keys with the security guards at the port gate.

David

This is what we did - and we got away with it without any problems.

HOWEVER - I would never do this again and would not recommend it. It is frought with potential problems - which you would never be able to talk your way out of after the event. Sometimes , it can be difficult enough returning a hire car in person - without being subject to some attempted "scam" ( Been there, done that - with a well known International hire company in the UK!) HINT - how many of us look for minute scratches on the hired car's duco?? And if they do, how many count the number of small scratches on the duco??. :(

Barry

David

This is what we did - and we got away with it without any problems.

HOWEVER - I would never do this again and would not recommend it. It is frought with potential problems - which you would never be able to talk your way out of after the event. Sometimes , it can be difficult enough returning a hire car in person - without being subject to some attempted "scam" ( Been there, done that - with a well known International hire company in the UK!) HINT - how many of us look for minute scratches on the hired car's duco?? And if they do, how many count the number of small scratches on the duco??. :(

Barry

In the morning we looked over each vehicle we hired and the couple where we just left the vehicle (and the keys with security staff) my husband photographed the car from every angle before we left it. :)The image has imbedded in it the time the photo was taken so if there was a problem later we could prove the photo was taken at the end of the day.

Thats a good idea about taking the pics. Easy with a digital.

Barry, In most cases you dont really have a choice. We have hired a car 4X on different cruises and on each occassion have had to lock it up and leave it at a drop off point. Twice it was outside the company office as they had locked up and gone home.

In the morning we looked over each vehicle we hired and the couple where we just left the vehicle (and the keys with security staff) my husband photographed the car from every angle before we left it. :)The image has imbedded in it the time the photo was taken so if there was a problem later we could prove the photo was taken at the end of the day.

Makes it much easier to prove now with digital photography. We did something similiar when we recently returned our hire car, which was an old model. Mileage, time returned etc., parking space where we left it, etc.

Once we left a prepaid major brand hire car at Scagway, Alaska, with the key left in Hire Car Company box, as arranged.

Imagine our surprise to receive a bill for an extra day's car hire. We were able to prove we weren't there that day, as we caught the Alaskan Marine Highway ferry just after midnight, which I had recorded in my diary, complete with local pictures, etc.

Now, I would have a photo of mileage with time returned, etc.

Well, frankly , it does depend on the "honesty" of the car hirer.

Taking photos is a good idea - but these photos do not show up small damage clearly ( eg "scratches" ). Also, IF the car was damaged while sitting at the wharf awaiting return eg sideswiped by a wharf vehicle, photos showing that you had left it on the wharf undamaged would not address the fact that they may still hold you responsible for the subsequent damage.

We get away with lots of things in life with no problem - I jaywalk regularly -- but ONE day!!!!

"Now, I would have a photo of mileage with time returned, etc."

Thanks for that - this is an example of JUST ANOTHER way in which we can be caught out - I'll bet others would have many other simple examples that we simply wouldn't ever think of until somebody points it out to us.

Barry

Do you know what this means?

Multi Vehicle Excess $2500, Single Vehicle Excess $2,500+gst: Daily @ $0.00 $0.00

it's probably because it's on my booking, (sorry, I copied and pasted and xxxxxxED the real names, to protect our security)

we don't take out the extra cover as we are already covered by Amex Insur. if we hire a car

As the 'free' bank travel insurance that comes with our Visa card does not cover the insurance excess on vehicles registered outside Australia. .

AMEX covers us for any car rental as long as it's 100 km AWAY from home.

OFF THEIR SITE..

1. We will pay any amounts You are responsible for under the Rental Agreement,

including the Deductible if loss is incurred during a Covered Rental Trip, as a

result of accidental damage, fire, vandalism, theft or loss of use of the Rental

Vehicle. This will apply whether You are responsible or not for the accident.

We will pay You up to:

• AUD70,000; or

• the value of the Rental Vehicle; or

• the value of the claim;

Whichever is the lesser.

We will pay the above in respect of any one (1) accident or occurrence and

a maximum two (2) claims per three hundred and sixty-five (365) days.

Archived