It's Official: Cunard Re-flags Ships in Bermuda, Launches Weddings at Sea

pfd104

It is not like the Union Jack is not flying over downtown Hamilton as well. Bermuda is still part of the United Kingdom. Bermuda touts their britishness as well, so I cannot see why Cunard cannot as well

Burmuda is not a part of the United Kingdom.

(It is a British Overseas Territory, with H.M.Q. as Head of State).

Sounds like a bit of customer pressure would not go amiss here in order to try and get this decision reversed.

Somebody more switched on than me should set up a single issue website or facebook page or possibly even submit it for discussion in Parliament.

How many members does the Cunard World Club have? Must be tens of thousands at least - we should band together, companies do listen to serious customer pressure over such things.

I was wondering this myself, but frankly, I doubt it will matter. On the otherhand, remember the "new Coke" debacle? For me... it's so long Cunard. Loyalty lost, perhaps irreplaceably. Who cares about getting to Platinum status now. You've made my next cruise decision far easier.

remember the "new Coke" debacle?

I seem to recall that 'Coke Classic' was reintroduced after consumer pressure (putting aside the conspiracy theories for one moment). The two versions of the Coke product co-existed.

So maybe the Victoria and the Elizabeth could go over to become a sort of licensed version of the brand and we keep the RMS Queen Mary 2 as the full-fat original product.

Actually that raises the question will her RMS status have to go if she is no longer registered in the UK?

Sounds like a bit of customer pressure would not go amiss here in order to try and get this decision reversed.

Somebody more switched on than me should set up a single issue website or facebook page or possibly even submit it for discussion in Parliament.

How many members does the Cunard World Club have? Must be tens of thousands at least - we should band together, companies do listen to serious customer pressure over such things.

I was wondering this myself, but frankly, I doubt it will matter. On the otherhand, remember the "new Coke" debacle? For me... it's so long Cunard. Loyalty lost, perhaps irreplaceably. Who cares about getting to Platinum status now. You've made my next cruise decision far easier.

I'm going to let Cunard know of my disappointment with the decision to re-flag the ships; perhaps others will do the same? One immediate method is to go to the Cunard website. Click on World Club, then click on contact World Club. An e-mail form will appear. Tell them how you feel about re-flagging.

Freecall's idea is better, and I hope it comes to fruition, but an immediate flood of e-mails to the World Club Desk might just get noticed too. -S.

Love the sinking ship on the Bermuda flag which Salacia pointed out!

That's what Mr. Shanks and his bean counters have done... sunk the last remaining link to Cunard's illustrious past - its British heritage. Congratulations on a homogenization well done!

How coincidental that the re-flagging news arrives on the day after I booked and made final payment for a Celebrity Silhouette sailing.

I also suspect that my January 2012 crossings on Queen Mary 2 (eastbound) and Queen Elizabeth (westbound) will be my final Cunard voyages. I hope that Southampton will still be on the sterns (When does the re-flagging actually happen?).

As a former Cunard captain recently said to me, what we enjoyed for its uniqueness has slowly been eroded, but we do have the memories of what was once so special.

Now that Cunard has finally come clean and shown their true colours (excuse the Pun) by decided to move their fleet registration and turn their back on Great Britain, I suggest we British retaliate by renaming the Liverpool waterfront iconic “Cunard Building” to “Liverpool Maritime Building”

The Cunard Building is a Grade II* listed building located in Liverpool, England. It is sited at the Pier Head and along with the neighbouring Liver Building and Port of Liverpool Building is one of Liverpool's Three Graces, which line the city's waterfront. It is also part of Liverpool's UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.

It was designed by William Edward Willink and Philip Coldwell Thicknesse and was constructed between 1914 and 1917. The building is noted for the ornate sculptures that adorn its sides.

The building was, from its construction until the 1960s, the headquarters of Cunard Line, and the building retains the name of its original tenants. It was also home to Cunard's passenger facilities for trans-Atlantic journeys that departed from Liverpool. Today, the building is owned by the Merseyside Pension Fund and is home to numerous public and private sector organisations. It is located directly opposite from Albion House, the former headquarters of White Star Line.

If Cunard don’t need us, then we don’t need Cunard.

Tomuk, a proud citizen of Liverpool.

Love the sinking ship on the Bermuda flag which Salacia pointed out!

That's what Mr. Shanks and his bean counters have done... sunk the last remaining link to Cunard's illustrious past - its British heritage. Congratulations on a homogenization well done!

How coincidental that the re-flagging news arrives on the day after I booked and made final payment for a Celebrity Silhouette sailing.

I also suspect that my January 2012 crossings on Queen Mary 2 (eastbound) and Queen Elizabeth (westbound) will be my final Cunard voyages. I hope that Southampton will still be on the sterns (When does the re-flagging actually happen?).

As a former Cunard captain recently said to me, what we enjoyed for its uniqueness has slowly been eroded, but we do have the memories of what was once so special.

Bobby, see you on the Silhouette...sometime anyway! Canceled my 2012 QM2 crossing before all this. Cunard assimilation into Carnival complete. Sad, sad, sad.

I agree that it is sad what has happenned. Loyal Cunard passengers can rant and complain all they want to Cunard, but it won't make a bit of difference. Cunard's owner is only in it for the bottom line, and despite what they say otherwise, will make all decisions with that in mind. Just look at what happenned to the QE2.

I find it ironic that they will use 'Hamilton' as 'homeport'. As if any of the Queen's could ever dock at that port.:rolleyes:

800px-Flag_of_Bermuda.svg.png

Modelman - the flag you have shown is the defaced red ensign which is the national flag of Bermuda. This is a quote from the Bermuda Ship Registry FAQ page:

"Q. What is the flag flown by Bermuda ships?

A. Bermuda ships being 'British Ships' fly ... the undefaced UK Red Ensign."

So the ensign flown by Cunard ships will not change.

J

As much as I would prefer Cunard keep their ships registered in the UK, when all is said and done private businesses must stay competitive or they die. Thus, retaining methods, procedures or traditions that stifle a company's ability to turn a profit simply will not stand.

If anyone wants to place blame for this then it should be on the over regulation imposed by the UK government that pushed Cunard to make this move.

However worthwhile and fair-minded the UK law may seem on the surface, it has resulted in this unintended consequence. Could anyone with any sense of business knowledge really expect Cunard to remain afloat (pun intended) if they had to pay prevailing UK wages to their crew?

Yet Another Carnival Cannibalisation of a British line, yes im sad and yes im pissed off (sorry for swearing) but i do understand in this economic climate, after all id hate to see my favourite line go or good! although i do wish some eccentric British multi billionaire would just buy Cunard back for a silly amount of money and bring the line home!!! ah to dream!

Bermuda is a "British Overseas Dependent Territory". In real language, a British Colony!

The Bermuda Registry is also part of the Red Ensign Group which includes UK, Isle of Man, Gibraltar... and a couple of other places. The correct ensign on a Bermuda registered vessel is the plain undefaced red ensign.

As far as lowering of safety standards etc that is a complete myth. The requirements for UK registry and Bermuda registry are exactly the same and surveys etc will be carried out by UK registry and Lloyd's surveyors.

Yes, a shame that Hamilton is not large enough to take vessels of the size of QM2 or the smaller sisters. We are still waiting for Cunard to put another FRANCONIA on the run! We do have a paarish named Southampton but there is no port there... that is in use.

As far as Cunard and Bermuda are concerned the connection goes back even before the so called Cunard Line was established. The Cunard family were running mail ships to Bermuda in the 1830s. Everything Cunard did was to do with the mails and Bermuda was considered to be a hub for mails..... Liverpool to Halifax and Bermuda were the main routes. From Halifax mails went into Canada and from Bermuda they went south. The Bermuda connection is much older than any link with Southampton.

Stephen

Sailing on Sunday in Bermuda's new QUEEN ELIZABETH!!!

Yet Another Carnival Cannibalisation of a British line, yes im sad and yes im pissed off (sorry for swearing) but i do understand in this economic climate, after all id hate to see my favourite line go or good! although i do wish some eccentric British multi billionaire would just buy Cunard back for a silly amount of money and bring the line home!!! ah to dream!

I suggested that to Sir Richard Branson once.:eek::eek: Actually, it was in an unsolicited email. Probably ended up in the Loo.:D

Check out the latest Cunard news from Cruise Critic:

It's Official: Cunard Re-flags Ships in Bermuda, Launches Weddings at Sea

:D

Oh joy! Vegas comes to Cunard at last! When will we see Elvis impersonators on QM2?!

Well congratulations! One more notch in the tireless endeavor to dismantle and replace...Must make Cunard tacky (do you remember, btw, when they gave a party for Prince Charles in the US and invited the cast of Sex and the City?!)...

(Ah, but when you've been in the US a while, you become so cut off from the rest of the world, you forget that things are done differently elsewhere...it's a US thing...now that Cunard is American, basically. There is another world out there...phew...)

Bermuda is a "British Overseas Dependent Territory". In real language, a British Colony!

The Bermuda Registry is also part of the Red Ensign Group which includes UK, Isle of Man, Gibraltar... and a couple of other places. The correct ensign on a Bermuda registered vessel is the plain undefaced red ensign.

As far as lowering of safety standards etc that is a complete myth. The requirements for UK registry and Bermuda registry are exactly the same and surveys etc will be carried out by UK registry and Lloyd's surveyors.

Yes, a shame that Hamilton is not large enough to take vessels of the size of QM2 or the smaller sisters. We are still waiting for Cunard to put another FRANCONIA on the run! We do have a paarish named Southampton but there is no port there... that is in use.

As far as Cunard and Bermuda are concerned the connection goes back even before the so called Cunard Line was established. The Cunard family were running mail ships to Bermuda in the 1830s. Everything Cunard did was to do with the mails and Bermuda was considered to be a hub for mails..... Liverpool to Halifax and Bermuda were the main routes. From Halifax mails went into Canada and from Bermuda they went south. The Bermuda connection is much older than any link with Southampton.

Stephen

Sailing on Sunday in Bermuda's new QUEEN ELIZABETH!!!

So the sky might not be falling after all!

Now, how about my QE2 in New Orleans Harbor painting?

As much as I would prefer Cunard keep their ships registered in the UK, when all is said and done private businesses must stay competitive or they die. Thus, retaining methods, procedures or traditions that stifle a company's ability to turn a profit simply will not stand.

If anyone wants to place blame for this then it should be on the over regulation imposed by the UK government that pushed Cunard to make this move.

However worthwhile and fair-minded the UK law may seem on the surface, it has resulted in this unintended consequence. Could anyone with any sense of business knowledge really expect Cunard to remain afloat (pun intended) if they had to pay prevailing UK wages to their crew?

Excellent points. The whole idea of being in business is to make a profit. The idea of Cunard sinking majestically into bankruptcy - and not changing with the times - does no one any good.

Yes it's disappointing, we prefer it didn't happen, but if it does make economic sense then I'd much prefer to see 'Hamilton' on the stern of Cunard ships than suffer some kind of cut-back in service and or food.

I've got another voyage coming up soon. From reading the news, the new registry port of Hamilton will already be present in February 2012. Provided my experience is the same as last time, I will be happy. In all honesty, I never once looked at the stern of the ship during my last voyage.

People who sailed Cunard years ago obviously have fond memories. I acknowledge that, but Cunard wasn't going to survive in the long term if it remained as it was pre-Carnival. No one came along and injected cash, new ideas and built three ships.

To my mind the British government (or the EU) are to blame for this. They should have foreseen that companies would have reacted in this manner - so what's the point of passing the law?

I'm also disappointed with this news.

I wonder, given the controversy this subject is already generating, whether Peter Shanks will announce it on his "We Are Cunard blog". If he does, there will be an opportunity for Cunard passengers to express their views directly and publicly via the "comment" facility.

As I type BBC South have just run a piece about this on its late evening news bulletin. Cunard have denied that this move has anything to do with circumventing UK employment law but does anyone actually believe them?

Archived