It's Official: Cunard Re-flags Ships in Bermuda, Launches Weddings at Sea

pfd104

English news today reports:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9314260._Southampton__to_disappear_from_Cunard_ships/

THE name Southampton will disappear from the stern of Cunard's three main ships as the company will switch their registration to Bermuda.

The company today confirmed the money-spinning move, first revealed by the Daily Echo, which will allow the liners Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth to host marriages at sea, an increasingly lucrative business.

Replacing the word Southampton will be Hamilton, the capital of Bermuda, said a company spokesman.

The ships will remain based in Southampton but the UK will lose revenue from registration and related business.

The Cunard fleet will continue to fly the British Red Ensign.

English news today reports:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9314260._Southampton__to_disappear_from_Cunard_ships/

THE name Southampton will disappear from the stern of Cunard's three main ships as the company will switch their registration to Bermuda.

The company today confirmed the money-spinning move, first revealed by the Daily Echo, which will allow the liners Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth to host marriages at sea, an increasingly lucrative business.

Replacing the word Southampton will be Hamilton, the capital of Bermuda, said a company spokesman.

The ships will remain based in Southampton but the UK will lose revenue from registration and related business.

The Cunard fleet will continue to fly the British Red Ensign.

This has just been confirmed on local radio.

In all honesty, I have been amazed for years that Southampton remained on the sterns. I anticipated Monrovia years ago. I really do not think it will be that noticea:eek:ble as the crew has long ceased to be British (with a few exceptions). In reality, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silverseas, et al. have "ports of convenience" on their sterns.

With all the British association of these three ships - their names particularly - and also I believe Samuel Cunard was British (although born in Nova Scotia) it is sad that their registration and the name SOUTHAMPTON at the stern will disappear. At least the Bermudan flag contains the Union Jack.

In reality, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silverseas, et al. have "ports of convenience" on their sterns.

Very true. And thousands of people cruise on them (and some of them come on here and state how much better they all are than Cunard :D).

At least the Bermudan flag contains the Union Jack.

Good point.

Whilst I still think it's a shame (the disconnection from the past & the end of a particular tradition et al) it's a good thing from the Eastern European crew members' point of view. Had Cunard stayed with a British registry, the impact of Britain's new Equality Act 2010 would more than likely have resulted in the 'bean counters' demanding that the European crew members be dismissed and replaced with crew members from non-european countries.

It's good that Cunard has diversity in it's employees. So from this perspective, at least, it's a positive.

Seems a little off-putting for a company that markets itself on it's proud British heritage. Once again I would say the bean counters have won. We certainly know who really runs Carnival Corp. brands.

Ernie

I was hoping that I would be right in my prediction that Cunard would keep their ships with the British registry.But unfortunately I was wrong.Cunard probably wants very badly to get the income they have lost until now of couples who want a marriage at sea and end up getting married by the captains of the ships of other cruise lines.If there is a bright side to this maybe it will get more young couples about to get married and who want a marriage at sea to consider having their marriage ceremony aboard a Cunard Queen.I also have seen pictures of newlyweds getting married aboard the now retired Queen Mary in Long Beach,California.Well at least the Cunard Ships will keep their names which are names of a British monarch. Regards,Jerry

I understand that the change will make sense from a financial point of view for Carnival (although I see it as a mixed blessing for EU crew members), I still don't think it's right. I know it's an emotional rather than logical thing, but there is something about seeing Southampton on the stern of my favourite ships that just looks so right. Not that I have anything against Bermuda, it's a great place to visit.

It is a sad end of a very long era...

I'd hoped that at least the flagship, liner QM2 would keep Southampton on her stern (even if the two cruiseships changed, there have been Cunard cruiseships registered elsewhere in the past).

So, how the mighty Cunard have fallen. The proud display of Liverpool or Southampton on the stern will cease.

Mr Shanks and his fellow bean counters at Carnival have proven that they are only interested in the pretence and sham of being "British".

To spend all that money creating a unique ship, and two excellent cruiseships, to relaunch Cunard, THE most famous name in passenger shipping, and to then reduce it to just another cruise line.

To those who will say it will make no difference, I would ask them to image what the next stage will be in Carnival's salami slicing tactics of destroying Cunard...

Sad day. Weddings are just a red herring when the real reason is taxation, regulation and standards. Hamilton, Bermuda is just a transition before the flag becomes Panama. With this post I leave the boards because I've taken my last Cunard voyage.

I was just informed that new European legislation interpreted by the

British Labour Party would mean that Cunard would have to pay their

Filipino crew the same as Europeans. Surely this is the real reason for the flag change. The wedding announcement is purely good PR, as how many people really want to get married mid-Atlantic? I doubt that many, especially considering the majority of Cunard passengers are more senior, already married, or divorced/widowed with no intentions of getting remarried.

The wedding spin sure sounds better than Cunard saying we are reflagging our ships because we don't want to pay our 3rd world crew members the same as our European crew members.

Ernie

Cunard probably wants very badly to get the income they have lost until now of couples who want a marriage at sea and end up getting married by the captains of the ships of other cruise lines.

The rumors of this possibility took the sting out of today's announcement. And while Bermuda registry enables Carnival to perform weddings on Cunard the BIGGEST reason for re-registry to Bermuda is economy of operation. It will cost Carnival measurably less to keep its Queens in Bermuda than in the UK.

Going forward what else are the bean counters going to be looking at? It is almost always the small things people notice when they are taken away. Where will Carnival draw the line in order to create more profit?

Sounds like a bit of customer pressure would not go amiss here in order to try and get this decision reversed.

Somebody more switched on than me should set up a single issue website or facebook page or possibly even submit it for discussion in Parliament.

How many members does the Cunard World Club have? Must be tens of thousands at least - we should band together, companies do listen to serious customer pressure over such things.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to sail with Cunard as it was some years back should count ourselves as very privileged.

I have sailed Cunard ships since 1950. I have seen many ups and downs in what it means to be "Cunard". I was roundly flamed on this board when, after the inept maiden voyage of QM2, I reported the poor experience and referred to the company as "Cunardival". No surprise here. Having said that, I have just booked a QV cruise. As a retired ship master, i find it common for humans to become enamored with a ship. Rest assured, no ship (or shipping company) ever gets enamored with humans.

This is very sad news. The triumph of numbers!

The wedding rationale/red herring is disingenuous and downright intellectually insulting to the legions of loyal Cunard passengers/guests.

In its marketing, in its press releases, in Mr. Shanks' blog, on Facebook, on the 'We Are Cunard' blog, any further mention of their unique Britishness or any reference thereof, Cunard will be guilty of hypocrisy.

Someone should take Cunard to task for truth in advertising if they lay claim anymore to their British heritage.

Shame!

Archived