It's Official: Cunard Re-flags Ships in Bermuda, Launches Weddings at Sea

pfd104

One aspect of the "Weddings at Sea" saga that has not been mentioned yet is the part about the weddings. Let me relate how it is here in Florida with "Weddings at the Beach". Local residents have banded together to file lawsuits to prohibit such weddings as they are sick & tired of the loud, noisy, drunk crowds that attend such weddings. Just where on the ships are these type events going to be held? Probably anywhere they wish.:eek: One thing is certain, they do attract a large group of attendees and, usually, there is a party. I guess we can all hope for an invitation.:eek::eek::D

It doesn't matter where a ship is registered but because Cunard trades heaviliy on it's "Britishness" with the White Star rubbish etc. then they need to change the hype. Not British built, registered, owned. About the only thing British is the pub!

I do sympathise with the need to cut costs and the UK is partly to blame for remaining within the European Union and having to adopt their crackpot economic policies.

It doesn't matter where a ship is registered but because Cunard trades heaviliy on it's "Britishness" with the White Star rubbish etc. then they need to change the hype. Not British built, registered, owned. About the only thing British is the pub!

I do sympathise with the need to cut costs and the UK is partly to blame for remaining within the European Union and having to adopt their crackpot economic policies.

The pubs are about as British as Dick Van Dyke, they and the rest of the facilities on board have always catered to the American tastes and the American view of Ye Olde England.

In Britain we dont get charged 15% on top of the marked price for the privilege of being served or pay in US dollars.

If changing the name on the stern means losing its Britishness and that in turn means using pound sterling as the onboard currency and losing the 15% mark up I'm all for it.

The pubs are about as British as Dick Van Dyke, they and the rest of the facilities on board have always catered to the American tastes and the American view of Ye Olde England.

In Britain we dont get charged 15% on top of the marked price for the privilege of being served or pay in US dollars.

If changing the name on the stern means losing its Britishness and that in turn means using pound sterling as the onboard currency and losing the 15% mark up I'm all for it.

For my own part, and speaking as a native born Briton, I don't find anything remotely "British" about Cunard. The Golden Lion is a plastic, theme-park facsimile of a British "pub" and afternoon tea, for the vast majority of the British population, is something that went out the window shortly after World War 2. The ships are built in Italy, or France, they are crewed by just about ever nation under the sun (except Britain), and officered by an ever diminishing number of British officers. In fact, the less British the experience, the happier I'll be.

I also cannot believe that there are people who are seriously suggesting that they will no longer cruise with Cunard simply because the word "Southampton" will be replaced, on the blunt end, by "Hamilton". It would take a lot more than that to drive me away. I couldn't care less if it's Hamilton or Hades on the stern - I'll stick with Cunard until something happens to really change my opinion.

J

I also cannot believe that there are people who are seriously suggesting that they will no longer cruise with Cunard simply because the word "Southampton" will be replaced, on the blunt end, by "Hamilton". It would take a lot more than that to drive me away. I couldn't care less if it's Hamilton or Hades on the stern - I'll stick with Cunard until something happens to really change my opinion.

J

Everyone has their own reasons why they may or may not cruise on a particular cruise line. There is no right or wrong reason, as it's entirely a personal decision. Some may feel the registry change is reason enough, and that is fine.

I'm sure a lot of people feel that if Cunard is willing to so quickly disregard their heritage (which is the basis of their entire product and marketing), what else are they willing to do? I think it's a little concerning, as it's very easy for a company to slowly chip away at a product thinking no one will notice or care, but eventually all those little things add up to something substantial.

All that aside, for me the bigger issue is how Cunard handled this announcement. Claiming the reason is to offer onboard weddings is rather insulting to the intelligence of their "valued guests".

Ernie

PARTIAL QUOTE

Topsham, according this story from the RoyalGazetteOnLine http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110420/NEWS04/704209983, QV visited Bermuda last April, but it doesn't specify which port was used for docking.

Bon voyage in advance of your Sunday cruise. BTW, call it what you want - Bermuda's new QUEEN ELIZABETH or the GOOD SHIP LOLLI POP, but I suspect the stern will still read QUEEN ELIZABETH SOUTHAMPTON when you board on Sunday.;) -S.

Perhaps instead of Hamilton, the stern should more realistically read: "Royal Naval Dockyards"?:D

the bigger issue is how Cunard handled this announcement. Claiming the reason is to offer onboard weddings is rather insulting to the intelligence of their "valued guests".

Ernie

Agree - the announcement does not even mention the flag change - they think we are too thick to work it out! Much better to face the issue head on; "Unfortunately this also means that....however..." than pretend it does not exist. Hiding behind "pent up demand for weddings" is nonsense - now they are letting their critics write the story "so they dont have to pay East Europeans as much as Brits" - but I understand there are disadvantages in reflagging away from the UK in terms of tax....something they could explain as part of the pros & cons of such a move....but no.....this is a badly botched job.....wonder what QE's new call sign will be - no more GBTT - now ZCTW1T?

Peter

Everyone has their own reasons why they may or may not cruise on a particular cruise line. There is no right or wrong reason, as it's entirely a personal decision. Some may feel the registry change is reason enough, and that is fine.

I'm sure a lot of people feel that if Cunard is willing to so quickly disregard their heritage (which is the basis of their entire product and marketing), what else are they willing to do? I think it's a little concerning, as it's very easy for a company to slowly chip away at a product thinking no one will notice or care, but eventually all those little things add up to something substantial.

All that aside, for me the bigger issue is how Cunard handled this announcement. Claiming the reason is to offer onboard weddings is rather insulting to the intelligence of their "valued guests".

Ernie

Well, if my initial decision to cruise with Cunard had been based, even in the slightest degree, on their ludicrous, over-hyped marketing propaganda, and their endlessly repeated mantra of "understated British elegance", and heritage, I would, without the slightest doubt, never have set foot onboard a Cunard ship.

Fortunately for me I took not the slightest notice of any of that flim flam, sleight of hand, and utter chicanery (although the ludicrous photographs of the "perfect passengers" in the brochures and on the website almost changed my mind), and I've been enjoying their product ever since. And I intend to carry on enjoying it for as long as I am able, Bermuda or not. I think that, if nothing else, this serves to demonstrate the depth of the dichotomy between marketing and reality

J

PARTIAL QUOTE

Topsham, according this story from the RoyalGazetteOnLine http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110420/NEWS04/704209983, QV visited Bermuda last April, but it doesn't specify which port was used for docking.

Bon voyage in advance of your Sunday cruise. BTW, call it what you want - Bermuda's new QUEEN ELIZABETH or the GOOD SHIP LOLLI POP, but I suspect the stern will still read QUEEN ELIZABETH SOUTHAMPTON when you board on Sunday.;) -S.

QUEEN VICTORIA docked at the new Heritage Whaft at the Royal Naval Dockyard. I live in the same parish as the Naval Dockyard so i would be faair chuffed if the three ships were to be registered there... but the name on the stern would be S O M E R S E T !!!!!!!!;)

Stephen

Would someone please tell Richard Branson that he could have a goldmine in creating a new fleet of British ocean liners. Since Cunard will no longer be British, there will be a void to fill, and some new genuine "Queens" to create.
But Mr. Branson is probably only interested in planes and rocket ships into outer space and as of this moment I have never heard if he wants to buy a cruise line or start a new one.If he was really into ships that sail on the surface of the seas,he would have tried to acquire Cunard in 1998 when Cunard was put up for sale and before Micky Arison bought Cunard. Regards,Jerry

..wonder what QE's new call sign will be - no more GBTT - now ZCTW1T?

Peter

Didn't even think about the call sign. Interesting.

Peter - any chance you sailing on the WCC 2012? QM2 on January 3rd, NY to Southampton?

Ernie

Back in 1972 Holland America ships were re-registered in Willemstad instead of Rotterdam. They continued to fly the red white blue Netherlands ensign and not the Antilles flag. The big change on board the ships... Indonesian crew instead of all Dutch and I'm told that the general standards went UP! Since about 1995/96 HAL ships have re-registered... back to Rotterdam.

As far as Cunard is concerned I don't think the change of register will make the slightest bit of difference to the Cunard experience. No reason at all why it should.

Stephen

But Mr. Branson is probably only interested in planes and rocket ships into outer space and as of this moment I have never heard if he wants to buy a cruise line or start a new one.If he was really into ships that sail on the surface of the seas,he would have tried to acquire Cunard in 1998 when Cunard was put up for sale and before Micky Arison bought Cunard. Regards,Jerry

True, but there must be someone who'd be interested in this venture.

Just spoke to Bermuda Registry of Shipping.

I was trying to get the new callsigns for you but no luck. After they are oficially registered will they give the information out. :(

I just hope they put their thinking caps on and come up with something better than a jumble of letters and numbers.

Years ago the world's two largest salvage tugs were registered here. the WOLRADE WOLTEMADE and the JOHN ROSS... their callsigns were very clever.... ZTUG and ZTOW.

The Cunard ships could be ZMARY, ZVICKY and ZLIZZIE !!!!!!

Or... seriously ZMAR, ZVIC and ZLIZ

Stephen

Cunard had only three options here:

1. Keep everything as it is, but increase already high fares to cover the cost of the new wages of its EU crew.

2. Keep the UK registry but sack all the EU crew and replace them with other 3rd world people. Fares remain the same.

3. Registar the ship somewhere else. Keep fares and the makeup of the crew the same.

Those are the only three choices. Which would you choose?

1. Keep everything as it is, but increase already high fares to cover the cost of the new wages of its EU crew.

2. Keep the UK registry but sack all the EU crew and replace them with other 3rd world people. Fares remain the same.

3. Registar the ship somewhere else. Keep fares and the makeup of the crew the same.

But Cunard has never even hinted about those options/choices. This is all about offering weddings onboard right? At least that is what Cunard tells me.

Ernie

It is with regret to say that the best choice in my opinion is Choice No.3. Not that I want to point the finger of blame but if the British Govt. did not pass legislation forcing Cunard to pay higher wages to the EU crew and if the British Govt. would allow marriages aboard British flagged Ships at sea,the change of registration of the Cunard Ships from the UK to Bermuda would not have happened. Regards,Jerry

Hey Frank,

QE2 Southampton or Hamilton????:eek:

OK... must get on to that.

Stephen

Or perhaps Liverpool?

No, no wait a minute! The QE2 was one of the few Cunard ships registered in Southampton, wasn't she? ;)

Frank

QUEEN VICTORIA docked at the new Heritage Whaft at the Royal Naval Dockyard. I live in the same parish as the Naval Dockyard so i would be faair chuffed if the three ships were to be registered there... but the name on the stern would be S O M E R S E T !!!!!!!!;)

Stephen

Ooooh- even nicer! My home county !!

Archived