Nieuw Amsterdam / Venice / 12 nights

Bags4r

Hello cruisers. I come bearing good news:

I will be officially going on my first HAL cruise next year! And what better to start out with than the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Here's the basics:

June 5th, July 18th and August 23rd all in consideration. Although I'm leaning towards July 18th.

Stops: 5 countries (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and Turkey)

I have three questions:

1. Is this a good pick for someone new to HAL?

2. Is July 18th the best date?

3. Should I book mostly or entirely HAL shore excursions, or do third-party shore excursions?

Interests: History, Culture

Not athletic :cool:

That area in the summer is hot, hot, hot. I have been there in early May and late October, and though both of those were too hot.

If I had only those choices of dates, I would take the one in early June. It would be the most comfortable of the three.

You've made an excellent choice of cruiseline. Although I've not sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam, the reports I've read are all positive.

That area in the summer is hot, hot, hot. I have been there in early May and late October, and though both of those were too hot.

If I had only those choices of dates, I would take the one in early June. It would be the most comfortable of the three.

You've made an excellent choice of cruiseline. Although I've not sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam, the reports I've read are all positive.

I live in Southern California, I'm actually concerned it may not be hot enough.

Thanks for your quick reply though.

Not just hot but also busy in the ports. I would pick June as well. As for private excursions that is all we do in the Med. The Ports of Call-Mediterranean board will be a great resource for excursion ideas and private guides.

I live in Southern California, I'm actually concerned it may not be hot enough.

Don't be fooled by average temperature charts or averages on the web. You need to experience it to believe it and Ruth is quite right when she says hot, hot, hot. We have been to both Southern California and the Eastern Mediterranean during the hottest parts of their respective summer seasons and, believe us, you are in for a shock!

You will love this ship and itineary. But July will be -- as others have said -- HOT -- and not like southern California but humid, sticky, crowded HOT!

August is a European vacation month with some places closed, still HOT and lots of crowds.

June is the best choice of the three dates.

Hello cruisers. I come bearing good news:

I will be officially going on my first HAL cruise next year! And what better to start out with than the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Here's the basics:

June 5th, July 18th and August 23rd all in consideration. Although I'm leaning towards July 18th.

Stops: 5 countries (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece and Turkey)

I have three questions:

1. Is this a good pick for someone new to HAL?

2. Is July 18th the best date?

3. Should I book mostly or entirely HAL shore excursions, or do third-party shore excursions?

Interests: History, Culture

Not athletic :cool:

everyone has answered your weather questions (and i agree - we normally go in october or November).

As to your question #3 - hit your roll call as soon as you can - we normally always do private tours - they are much nicer, more personal, more intimate and often cheaper than HAL and if they're not, they are worth every penny - you will see so much more :) dont get me wrong we do some HAL tours, but if a good private tour is available, you definitely are better off. JMO;)

Just returned from the 12-night Med. Tapestry on the NA. We went from Oct. 3 to Oct. 15. Weather was terrific. In the low 70s. Sometimes this was even too warm for touring. Can't imagine what it will be like in July - HOT HOT HOT!

We did all private tours. It took me over 6 months to plan. But it was well worth the effort. Saved a lot of money and got very personalized service.

We did not take the HAL transfers from Barcelona airport to ship or from Venice to airport. Do some research and you can get from or to the Barcelona airport for 5 euros on the aero bus to the center of Barcelona (Las Ramblas). Then it is a 15 or 20 minute walk to the Columbus monument where you get the 3 euro bus to the ship.

Also do the research for Venice airport and you can get from/to the port via the aero bus for 5 euros then take the people mover for 1 euro to the ship.

Ship transfers are approximately $79 each for one way!

Carol

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

We were on a beach in Turkey-a beach (Side) just east of Antalya. It was 29/30 (85/87F) on Oct. 4 through Oct 7. Our choices are May/June and Sept/Oct for fewer crowds and line ups, lower prices, fewer famillies, cooler weather, etc. We don't bother with cruise line hotels, transfers, or tours. They tend to be significantly overpriced and the tours especially are more crowded.

I suspect bookings may be light for next year if this year is any indication (we got a fabulous deal). You may want to monitor prices for decreases as well as watch what the other cruise lines are offering in terms of price/itinerary. If bookings are really soft, cancel you reservation just before final payment and rebook after final payment. You could save a great deal of money or get a much better cabin. The price of our Turkey/Greece cruise this past Sept/Oct was discounted by 50 percent after the final payment date had passed. My DS's 10 day Sept cruise out of Rome was discounted by over 50 percent after final payment date. Both compared to what the prices were just prior to final payment date.

Archived