Does Celebrity have a Movies Under The Stars program like Princess?

hrmccoy

One of my favorite quotes:

The day Celebrity puts a jumbo screen on the lawn or anywhere else we will be looking for a new cruise line. We cruise Celebrity because they don't have MUTS.

A couple of past thread talking about MUTS and Celebrity Cruises:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1394528

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399277

Edited by dmwnc1959

Not a fan of MUTS either. I'd be OK if it were only UNDER THE STARS. It's under the sun, the sky the whatever that makes it tiresome. Heck I'm such a fuddy duddy I even think the music around the pool gets blazingly loud at times. I guess that's why God invented noise canceling head phones!

MUTS was one of three things I really missed on our last two Celebrity cruises.

The other two were cooked to order burgers at the pool grill and a dance floor big enough for ballroom/latin dancing in the evenings

NO, and thankfully not. I think we had a thread a while back where most Celebrity cruisers appreciated NOT having a gigantic MUTS blaring all day long.

No movies under the stars, but the S class ships offer different options evenings on the Lawn Club, here is a sample of Jazz under the stars on the Silhouette. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Check out this video on YouTube:

No movies under the stars, but the S class ships offer different options evenings on the Lawn Club, here is a sample of Jazz under the stars on the Silhouette. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Lovely setting and wonderful music! I'll take that over a blaring jumbo-movietron any day of the week!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

M class ships have a dance floor. But back tithe OP's topic, no MUTS on Celebrity:)

We've been on both Constellation and Solstice and the dance floors are poor in comparison with the "Grand Class" Princess ships.

MUTS wouldn't work on either of those Celebrity ships as they don't have the enclosed area of the open deck that Princess have.

My most memorable moment watching MUTS was last year. Whilst watching the World Cup football match between USA and Ghana a fight broke out when USA lost the game. I never thought I'd see Americans fighting over a soccer match!

Whilst I missed MUTS on our last Celebrity cruise there were things that Celebrity do well which Princess don't.

We're planning to cruise Celebrity for the first time and I was just wondering if they had a program similar to Princess with outdoor movies at night. TIA, Heather

Warm Welcome to Cruise Critic! As you can see most find Princess MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) annoying and are happy Celebrity does not have them. There are no outdoor movie screens on Celebrity or the blaring noise that goes along with it durning the daylight hours. You will find other diversions on Celebrity! Have a great cruise!

We're planning to cruise Celebrity for the first time and I was just wondering if they had a program similar to Princess with outdoor movies at night. TIA, Heather

Oh, Thanks God - no! We tried Princess once and stopped cruising with them for that reason. I want to escape the big city - not to drag it with me to the sea. When on deck I want to enjoy the sun and the sound of the sea - not the sound of the racing car above my head!

We sailed out of a port (our favorite cruise times are leaving ports) :)

There was a big Princess Ship adjacent to us. As we glided past them, we could see the MUTS screen and heard a thumping beat to the music video that was playing .... NO thank you. :eek:

One of the things we love about Celebrity is that the pool areas are not loud. Aside from some on and off live music (and not blaring at you) it is quite peaceful. I know I would not want movies, sports etc. being played all day and night.

MUTS was one of three things I really missed on our last two Celebrity cruises.

The other two were cooked to order burgers at the pool grill and a dance floor big enough for ballroom/Latin dancing in the evenings

I'm surprised Celebrity doesn't offer a Ballroom dancing band/orchestra. I would think this type of dancing would be preferred by the older demographic of Celebrity passengers. Is Ballroom/Latin dancing offered one or two nights?

When we sailed Princess I was excited to know that they had MUTS, couldn't wait to sit on the deck and enjoy a movie. How wrong I was, during the day it was so loud and distracting we relocated to one of the other pool locations. Lucky for us the ship had one. My husband did venture there in the evening to watch a football game, which he said was enjoyable and they even served cookies and milk. During the day we just did not appreciate it at all. Also, the things they showed were definitly not for the Canada/New England crowd...loud concerts by performers that were much more geared towards a louder party crowd. I do know people that love MUTS, so to each his own! ;)

I'm surprised Celebrity doesn't offer a Ballroom dancing band/orchestra. I would think this type of dancing would be preferred by the older demographic of Celebrity passengers. Is Ballroom/Latin dancing offered one or two nights?

On Solstice there was a live band most nights in the atrium but the area for dancing was tiny and right at the bottom of the main staircase so totally unsuitable.

The Sky lounge had a bigger dance floor but this had mostly party music playing.

Not a fan of MUTS either. I'd be OK if it were only UNDER THE STARS. It's under the sun, the sky the whatever that makes it tiresome. Heck I'm such a fuddy duddy I even think the music around the pool gets blazingly loud at times. I guess that's why God invented noise canceling head phones!

I agree with you. When Princess first announced they would offer MUTS I thought it would be an excellent evening entertainment option. When I found that Movies under the Stars was actually Movies under the Sun, Stars etc. and they ran all sorts of movies, music videos and what not from early morning until late evening, I realized that it was a good idea carried out much too far. RCI has recently added outdoor movie screens to the pool decks on some of their ships and I will be interested to see if they use discretion as to the amount of time they are in operation, and what types of programming they employ. Princess took a potentially good idea and through overkill destroyed any attraction it might have had. I am with you in hoping that Celebrity can continue to resist any suggestions that they add the screens to their ships.

No they do not... and I thank god they do not cuz it's the most annoying thing when u go on cruise to get away from city to relax and do WHAT you want and have a pleasure quiet time relaxing by the pool and other things. If u want to watch movie... go to ur room. Celebrity will not lower its level to meet princess or carnival's level.

Thank goodness --- we hated the music around the pool during the day. Why can't we be left in peace --- if people want music then they have their own ipods ....

Sorry if we sound miserable but the peae and quiet was why we went with Celebrity and found that the Solarium (no sun though) and our aft cabins were the best retreats for our peace and quiet.

:)

I'm not sure why a simple question from the OP has led to such a massive rant against Princess. No, Celebrity does not have Movies under the Stars. But on Princess, no one is forced to sit near that pool. There is another mid-ship pool of equal size with no MUTS, as well as a smaller aft pool that is adults-only and quite peaceful. For what it's worth, we never go near it during the day although our young adult daughter absolutely loved it. But we have had a couple of very pleasant evenings under warm Caribbean stars, eating fresh popcorn and watching a movie we'd been wanting to see. Celebrity also shows movies, just at an inside location, so it's not as if they are above an occasional movie as one entertainment option.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Here I thought I was the only grumpy one who loves peace and quiet, a relaxing place to read on deck etc etc. Like some others mentioned, I too now avoid Princess mostly because of those movies on all the time. Why not just stay home in the basement rec room?

Anyway, I don't want to get carried away here, but if any Celebrity reps are reading this board, please ... No movies on deck!

Thanks, Brian

I love Movies Under the Stars and missed it on my Celebrity cruise. It's a great time to sit on deck on a beautiful night and watch a movie. Personally, I think Celebrity wasted a lot of space on the top, but I see they're reworking that with their new design. On Princess, there are other quiet freshwater pools you can enjoy if you don't like the pool where MUTS is.