Do chair hogs exist on Princess (not that I want them to)

luv2cruz62

I have been on other cruise lines forums (and sailed NCL and RCL), and have read quite a bit about chair hogs. But I dont see many threads regarding chair hogs on Princess...does that mean they dont exist on Princess.....that would be nice!:p

We are on the Golden to Hawaii on January 18th, and have 8 sea days....and I dont really want to have issues. I would like to go to any one of the pool areas at any time of day, and be able to find a nice comfy chair! (although all the photos I have see regarding the aft pool ...there is never anyone there.....is that a good thing....:rolleyes: )

Sure many will disagree but I found Emerald Princess the worst ever re. chair hogs. The aft pool seemed to be the most popular although most loungers were taken around all pools by around 8am:mad: Even on port days it seemed as if two-thirds were reserved before they went ashore. We did manage to get loungers up in the Gods where the wind was so bad it gave one a headache!

We experienced the chair hogs around the adult pool that is off of the spa on the front of Grand and Crown. Limited loungers there and all covered with stuff. and like one person in the pool so where was everyone?? Rest of the areas seemed ok.

Princess will sell you a spot in the Sanctuary so you don't need to worry about lounge hogs.

When I was on the Island Princess through the Panama Canal I had no trouble getting a deck chair at either of the pools. Perhaps its too hot for people to sit out for long? I preferred the covered pool and some semblance of air conditioning plus closer to the ice cream! I bring my book and alternated reading and swimming and with the other shipboard activities I was never hogging a chair for more than a couple of hours. Some people were there longer than I was and some chairs appeared to have abandoned belongings on them and no people in sight but there were always available chairs.

I've seen them on every cruise ship we have been on and at every resort we been to on land. The funniest chair hogs are those who don't even stop to see if getting a chair is an issue. I've seen hogs grab chairs when plenty of chairs are available at any time of the day, even in the prime areas. You always have people who get up at 5am every day and put a towel, book, magazine, etc on "their" chair on their "vacation" - blows my mind.

Are there chair hogs!???

Is the Pope Catholic?

Do bears $#*! in the woods?

Is Grant buried in Grant's Tomb?

:D:p;)

I would think that every cruise line has them... it is how they are dealt with that would be the distinguishing factor.

.... I was never hogging a chair for more than a couple of hours. Some people were there longer than I was and some chairs appeared to have abandoned belongings on them and no people in sight but there were always available chairs.

I don't define a chair hog as someone using the chair for a long time. A chair hog is one who puts their belongings in the chair but doesn't use the chair ever or for a long time. Officially, chairs not being used for over 30 minutes are supposed to have items removed, freeing them up for someone who actually wants to sit down.

Some of these threads would seem to suggest that chair hogs are a phenomenon unique to cruise ships, but I have often found them in land-based resorts and hotels as well.

In short, if there is a swimming pool surrounded by loungers, there will be somebody inconsiderate enough to try "reserving" the seats at 6:00am for their own use at some later time in the day.

In response to the OP's original question "Do chair hogs exist on Princess ?", the answer is "You betcha!" :rolleyes:

If you're USING the lounger, you aren't HOGGING it...you're using it! Big difference from folks who attempt to hold chairs for later use! If you want to sit there for 15 hours straight, you still are not a "chair hog"!

And, yes....resorts are the worst! Wherever there are limited loungers, whether on a ship or at a hotel, there will be folks attempting to "hold" seats until they are ready to use them.

Another Chair-Hogs thread...

Let me grab my popcorn...:)

hahaha! Good one! :D Dont forget the licorice! As I originally stated, I am new to Princess, and just hadnt seen many posts or photos for that matter regarding busy pools and chairs! Sorry to open up the proverbial

can-o-worms......:eek:................please pass the M&Ms...........:p

IMO chair hogs are the worse thing that exists on a cruise ship. They are inconsiderate, self-indulgent hogs. I've seen chairs in prime locations by the pool go unused for entire afternoons with nothing in them but a paperback book or a pair of cheap sunglasses. They have been on every cruise ship I've ever been on. It would be understandable if the individual had a handicap, a small child or some good reason to need that particular chair whenever they are ready for it, but I don't think that is often the case. It doesn't seem that Princess will ever to anything to discourage it. It would greatly increase the enjoyment of the majority of passengers if something would be done.

Part of the chair hog issue comes from timing, we happen to be up early, hit the gym do some swimming and then head back to the cabin and then on our way to breakfast we put our gear on the chairs but will admit that at those hours it is not a big issue. It does exist on all cruise lines and other then policing on our own as cruisers there is not a ton that can be done.

Pete

Step 1: Prior to breakfast, observe whether there are any chairs being hogged that you would like to use.

Step 2: Eat breakfast. Take your time.

Step 3: Return to the chair: Is the chair free? Move on to step 4.

Step 3a: Is it hogged? Move on to step 5.

Step 4: SIT YOUR BUTT DOWN!

Step 5: MOVE THAT STUFF!

Step 6: SIT YOUR BUTT DOWN!

Really, I doubt a chair hog is willing to start an argument over having hogged a chair, considering they should know full well that it's against the rules to reserve a chair for longer than a 30 minute period. Simply direct them to their stuff and, who knows, maybe they'll learn a lesson from the situation.

Really, I doubt a chair hog is willing to start an argument over having hogged a chair, considering they should know full well that it's against the rules to reserve a chair for longer than a 30 minute period. Simply direct them to their stuff and, who knows, maybe they'll learn a lesson from the situation.

You would be surprised how mad chair hogs get considering they were wrong and inconsiderate. I have been personally chewed out, seen others chewed out, seen security people cussed out and have their job threatened, heard the offenders make snide comments, lie about when they were at the chair, etc.

You would be surprised how mad chair hogs get considering they were wrong and inconsiderate. I have been personally chewed out, seen others chewed out, seen security people cussed out and have their job threatened, heard the offenders make snide comments, lie about when they were at the chair, etc.

That's surprising, to be honest. Wow, some people genuinely think they own it all, huh?

I would still stick to my guns. I'm not doing anything wrong by moving someone's belongings, especially if they've not been there for hours. If they want the chair, they can keep their butt in it from the moment they want it until the moment they're done with it.

(although all the photos I have see regarding the aft pool ...there is never anyone there.....is that a good thing....:rolleyes: )

Most of those photos are taken when people first get on the ship and are 'exploring', early morning, or when everyone is off the ship on port days. On a sea day... forget it!!

Never bothers me though cause I don't want to be in direct sun for that long anyway (get enough of that on the beaches !) and never want to be right beside the pool. There are lots of places to sit, relax and people watch without being jammed in with all the "hogs".

Archived