Solo & guarantee balcony

Zu~

I was told by my travel agent that a solo traveller can not book a guarantee balcony cabin. I'm booked in an ocean view, but the guarantee balcony come out just a few dollars different. This has probably been covered before, but I had no luck trying to find it in writing.

Anyone done this before as a solo? Thanks for any info.

That makes no sense! You're paying the same total $$ as a single that would be paid by two for a cabin. What difference should it make what category of cabin you want to book. I would call RCCL direct (C&A if you're a C&A member) and ask them that question.

Nice to have a reply that isn't snarky- I'm calling RCI and my travel agent tomorrow to get the various and assorted answers.

If anyone has booked a guarantee cabin as a solo let me know, I'll need a little ammunition.

Thanks

A lot of times the guarantee categories are only sold for double occupancy but not always. If it doesn't come up as an option when you do a mock booking for one than it is not offered for the single supplement price. In the past it wasn't a problem but sometimes now they get picky and won't do it as a single. I book solo cabins many times and for whatever reason they leave the guarantees for double occupancy only sometimes.

If you try and they say no than you can try and go through resolutions to get it done. If the initial answer is No then your success will depend on the ability of your TA to negotiate to make the change happen for you.

Actually you have no worries if you are talking about the Oct 26th sailing for the Mariner. I just checked and it comes up as a solo option so YES you will have no troubles booking the balcony guarantee. Save yourself the hassle of calling RCI as they can't make the change for you if you booked with a TA. Call your TA and tell her she is incorrect and to change you to the balcony guarantee.

Hi Zu~. I think your travel agent is not telling the truth.:eek: I was solo on navigator of the seas, and had a balcony.:cool:. And i booked early. I had to pay 180% for the room for being solo,:rolleyes: but that was fine for me.

The issue isn't that it is a balcony cabin but that it is a guarantee category. They don't always allow a guarantee category to be booked as a single cabin. Sometimes guarantees are for double occupancy only. However in this case of the OP's sailing it is being offered as a single option.

I was told by my travel agent that a solo traveller can not book a guarantee balcony cabin. I'm booked in an ocean view, but the guarantee balcony come out just a few dollars different. This has probably been covered before, but I had no luck trying to find it in writing.

Anyone done this before as a solo? Thanks for any info.

Susan, I'll be on the Monarch in December, and I have a single OV guarantee cabin. Got a crappy cabin, but I was able to book it with no problem. (and it was cheap, cheap, cheap)

:D

Hi, Zu~ - how are you? :)

I too have booked an inside guarantee as a solo, but not sure I can ever remember seeing a balcony guarantee. Guarantees generally seem rare as hens' teeth for solos, but maybe as a function of inventory management, rather than an absolute policy.

I hope your TA can work some magic for you. ;)

Guarantees generally won't work for solo cruisers unless the ship is selling very poorly ... however, if you can get it to show up on the website as a solo rate, then you can do it. I've had several solo guarantees throughout the years (and is my only inside to balcony upgrade).

Thanks for all the input on the guaranty cabin. I chatted with RCI last night and copied the conversation and also copied the website page with the solo price. I e-mailed my travel agent and voila' I got a balcony guarantee for the same price as my OV. Yippppeeee. Out of the bowels and up to deck 8 and fresh air.

Once again thanks for all the positive input!

Thanks for all the input on the guaranty cabin. I chatted with RCI last night and copied the conversation and also copied the website page with the solo price. I e-mailed my travel agent and voila' I got a balcony guarantee for the same price as my OV. Yippppeeee. Out of the bowels and up to deck 8 and fresh air.

Glad that you had a good outcome! Now get ready to enjoy your cruise!

Good for you! Bon Voyage!!!!

You should have no problem getting it. I was in Balcony Gty on post Thanksgiving cruise last year, booked very last minutes so ended up with a cabin assignment in a matter of hours....D1 all by myself...

Enjoy your cruise. If you don't get the answer you want try and try again until you get someone to make it happen for you.

Hi, and thanks to the OP for posting this topic. I am travelling solo and had not appreciated that GTY were available for my cruise. I checked for 2 pax and sure enough the rooms and category exist. I'm happy with my PR room (upgrade accepted of course!) but will pay more attention to availability in the future.

The issue isn't that it is a balcony cabin but that it is a guarantee category. They don't always allow a guarantee category to be booked as a single cabin. Sometimes guarantees are for double occupancy only. However in this case of the OP's sailing it is being offered as a single option.

makes no sense to me either if Im willing to pay for two people. 200% solo supplement.

If it had not worked out for the OP, I was just wondering if she could have booked using a second name and then cancelling the second person at a later date?

Yes I have done this myself but the OP was paid in full and a couple of weeks away from sailing. Luckily it was a single option so it wasn't an issue.

makes no sense to me either if Im willing to pay for two people. 200% solo supplement.

Yeah it's another one of the silly things that RCI does at times. However even if not offered as a single option if one is determined enough it can be done.:)

Archived