Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal Nights?

OneNewTexan

I would prefer it if they enforced dress codes on formal nights, had smart-casual nights, and casual nights. I agree with others that society is now casual 99% of the time. It is not uncommon to see jeans at weddings these days! I always pack nice clothes for dinner, and formal gowns for formal nights, regardless of how others are dressing at night.

I totally agree with EithneMay! I am fairly new to cruising and one of the reasons I love it so much, is being able to 'dress up' in the evenings. (It's like entering a different world for one or two weeks to escape my busy and hectic life!!) Our first cruise was in Summer 2010 on the Solstice and I was fortunate to be in AQ so ate in Blu, and everyone dressed smartly each evening - it was wonderful! I am disappointed that the dress code has been changed, but I for one will still dress smartly each evening on my next cruise (Solstice AQ in April) and will wear an evening dress on formal nights as that is what I enjoy wearing (and I love seeing my husband in his tux!). I appreciate that not everyone enjoys the formal aspect of cruising but I believe there are more casual cruise lines out there. In my humble opinion, I am disappointed that Celebrity are lowering their dress code on the beautiful S class ships as formal wear fits in so well with the ships decor. However, whatever the dress code is, I really hope that the staff will uphold the minimum level of attire each evening so the evenings don't become a continuation of the day with shorts and flip flops being allowed in the main dining areas. We'll see next Easter!

A lot of good comments on this thread.

We are cruising with X in less than 6 weeks for the first time. If X went to a multi-tiered mandatory dress code, we probably would not have booked X.

Three formal nights out of 15 is fine. I am having to rent a tux for this, but we will see how it works out. It might be nice.

I do remember fondly when people went out to dinner they didn't wear t-shirts. I see too much grunge dress these days. It will be nice to see a better appointed crowd. To those ends, there should be standards.

Flip flops and cutoffs belong at the pool, not dinner.

Still, we are there to relax and enjoy our cruise, not be burdened with excessive or zealous regulations. Next, the EPA will be involved!

Love Azamara/ Oceania all time smart casual. People look great and feel more comfortable. Less clothes to bring. I've seen may people on Azamara bring just a carry-on and be well dressed for anything. I'd also like to see Celebrity get a self service laundry which would be great. It's not that you would have to use it. It would be nice for the convenience. Lately, I've seen many people who are dressing casually on "formal" nights. Times have changed. Even at Saturday night weddings in NYC, black tie is rare. It's time for Celebrity to realize that many people do not own formal attire...and don't want to spend money to buy it. For people on Celebrity, often price is an important selling feature. If you add the cost of a tuxedo (buying or renting), it can be taxing for many people. It doesn't improve the quality of their experience. If they don't mind buying a tuxedo, they are probably on Silverseas.

A lot of good comments on this thread.

We are cruising with X in less than 6 weeks for the first time. If X went to a multi-tiered mandatory dress code, we probably would not have booked X.

Three formal nights out of 15 is fine. I am having to rent a tux for this, but we will see how it works out. It might be nice.

I do remember fondly when people went out to dinner they didn't wear t-shirts. I see too much grunge dress these days. It will be nice to see a better appointed crowd. To those ends, there should be standards.

Flip flops and cutoffs belong at the pool, not dinner.

Still, we are there to relax and enjoy our cruise, not be burdened with excessive or zealous regulations. Next, the EPA will be involved!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO 4774Papa:I know of no cruise line that actually allows cutoffs and flip flops in the dining room. People do wear those things at the buffett where there is less enforcement. I would imagine that someone wearing shorts, and t-shirt would be very uncomfortable because of the air conditioning.

Not to be burdened by excessive regulations is great. It would be a diaster if the EPA got involved in anything to do with cruising although I could see it coming. Don't mention those things, it might give some ideas.

We just returned from a month or so in Greece and Turkey. Twelve days on the Constellation and the balance of the time touring Turkey. This is the norm for us-to combine a cruise and some land based travel.

We are not about to carry formal clothes around on a three-five week trip just so that we can wear them on two or three nights. It has nothing to do with airline baggage fees and everything to do with trying to travel light so that we can enjoy our travels.

We also combine land with the cruise. Many times the land is longer than the cruise. We never bring more than 2 medium size suitcases. We enjoy dressing for dinner, what you would call semi formal, at a minimum. We solve the extra suitcase problem by putting all the cruise clothes, including the tux, into one suitcase & checking it into the held baggage area of the airport. That way we can enjoy the total cruise experience the way we want. Two suitcases don't fit into the trunk of the cars we rent anyway.

We liked it better on Celebrity when the dress code was categorized as Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal. After Celebrity made the change around 2008-2009, the average dress of those onboard at dinner time went down. Everything at home is casual. We like to dress up on cruises and wish Celebrity would step it up a notch.

How do you feel? Are there others that share our opinion?

:DWe would love it if Celebirty went back to the old dress code!!!!!!!

We have just started looking at other cruise lines that have a more formal dress code. Like you, where we live everything is very casual as far as dress goes. This is why we started sailing with Celebirty in the first place, at home we do not have any place to go that we can really get dressed up, or wear a tux.

What I'd like to see is a poll where posters could only vote once, for one choice.

I'm not really interested in opinions and anecdotes, only preferences and what the majority here would want.

Uggg... I'm completely tired of the whole formal and casual debate. I am THRILLED that they got rid of the semi-formal night. I think it's absolutely crazy to have to dress up every single night. And there is NO WAY it's ever going to go back. It's only going to go the other way... get used to a casual world or find a line that celebrates their formal attire. I'm done shlepping dress clothes across the pond. Over and over again... just to play dress up in a world that doesn't dress up any longer. I don't dress down for dinner, but my days for formal wear are over. And I'm so surprised how many people care what other people wear to dinner.

I SO agree!

There is nothing to prevent those who want to bring tuxes and ball gowns along from wearing them whenever they please.

I'd also like to see Celebrity get a self service laundry which would be great. It's not that you would have to use it. It would be nice for the convenience.

If a self service laundry is really important to you, there are lines that offer it.

Celebrity offers my preference--somebody else does the work! At reasonable prices. I'm on vacation.

What I'd like to see is a poll where posters could only vote once, for one choice.

I'm not really interested in opinions and anecdotes, only preferences and what the majority here would want.

Okay, start a poll. I'll participate.

I prefer smart casual all the time.

... as do we. The problem is, there are plenty of people out there who aren't very "smart" --- apparently!! :eek:

I don't mind 1-2 formal nights on a 7 night sailing.

For our upcoming cruise on the Epic, they have 1-2 "Dress up or Not" nights. I think this will be a Smart Casual cruise for us!

For our Eclipse cruise in January, I will bring my Tux for the two formal nights.

Tom

I really don't care what the dress code is on any given evening...as long as the cruiseline carefully defines and strictly enforces it. "Formal" I get (and like), "semi-formal" is fuzzy, but the difference between "smart casual, resort casual, country club casual and informal" is unnecessarily confusing.

If I expected my daughters to be nicely dressed for an occasion, I used to say "Sunday best" or "church clothes." However today most of the kids and half the adults wear jeans to our church services, so that definition is lost.

Okay, start a poll. I'll participate.

Leaving on a cruise in a couple of days and don't have time to put it together. Not sure if you can set it up where you can only vote once and only on one of the choices and don't have time to figure out how to do it. As you can imagine getting ready for a 15 night cruise has me occupied.

Yeah, Yeah, I know, I'm wasting time here. :rolleyes:

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO 4774Papa:I know of no cruise line that actually allows cutoffs and flip flops in the dining room. People do wear those things at the buffett where there is less enforcement. I would imagine that someone wearing shorts, and t-shirt would be very uncomfortable because of the air conditioning.

On NCL we were invited to the Captain's private cocktail party on the optional formal night. There were less than 20 guests at the party but one turned up wearing creased t-shirt, shorts, flip-flops and baseball cap. He was welcomed in and doubtless headed straight to the dinning room in the some outfit. My husband was in a blue lounge suit and I wore a simple black dress. We would have felt extremely overdressed if it was not for the officers in full dress uniform.

Sue

Archived