Best hill town to combine with half day Pisa (with kids)

World Gallery

We have already decided not to do Florence with our family of 7 (kids will be ages 11-18). After watching Rick Steve's Italian hill towns, I realized this may be a good option to combine with a half day at Pisa. Which one would work well with Pisa, meaning, we are at least going in the same direction for both? Which hill town most appeals to kids?

I read the thread about Cinque Terre a few days down the list and wasn't too encouraged after reading it but if it appeals to older kids, maybe we will reconsider that also. Cinque Terre looks like it can be combined with Pisa when looking at Google maps. We wouldn't be interested in doing all 5 towns though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

If any of the kids are into the Twilight series, they might like going to Volterra. The TI center there has a Twilight Tour map to take you to the places mentioned in the books... The other choice would be Lucca. They can walk on the top of the fortress walls or rent bikes to ride on the walls. Lucca is closer to Pisa than Volterra.

I don't know which hill town to recommend but a half day in Pisa is too much. All you need to do is look at the Leaning Tower and you're done!

I disagree. The Cathedral and the Baptistry, both also at the Piazza dei Miracoli, are beautiful and deserve some time. Plus if they want to climb the tower, that'll take a bit longer that just "looking at it".

Lucca is the logical choice but it's not considered a "hill town" (actually, its very flat). However, its lovely , I highly recommend it. A favorite pastime is to ride bikes on the wall around the city (you can rent them).

We do want to climb the tower. This is something my kids have asked to do and I think they will like it. Okay, so not a half day. That leaves us more time for something else.

Is Lucca a hill town? It doesn't look like one when I Google images of it. I have Rick Steves book in front of me and San Gimignano is one he recommends. Has anyone been? From the looks of things on Google maps, it isn't really that much out of the way. Volterra looks like it is out of the way. My kids are not into the Twilight series.

I was just thinking "outside the box".

True, Lucca isn't a "hill town", but it is the closest town if you want to combine something with Pisa. I stayed in a village in between Pisa and Lucca and there was a hill the road went up to get to Lucca. But, it's not one of the true Tuscan hill towns. I think the Hill Towns more with going to Florence than I do Pisa. I did Volterra and Montepulciano on a day trip from my spot. Yes, it was a full day (didn't get back until about 10pm) I knew nothing about Twilight except a few of the teenage girls I know were fascinated with it. I brought back a couple of the maps for them and they were in Twilight heaven. I don't think it's ever mentioned (I've never seen it), so I thought I'd throw it out there. Since there's another Twilight movie just coming out, I thought it was a tad time-germane :-)

We went to Lucca and Pisa 2 years ago. I think your kids will be bored with Lucca. It's a very pleasant walled city. Lots of narrow roads and shops. But kind of dull for kids. Unless you make a stop for lunch or something, you can see Lucca in under an hour. Pisa is great and can easily take a half a day if you see everything.

Pisa is great to see, but it does not require that much time to see. Lucca is not a hill town, but it is wonderful, interesting and very charming. Below are some pictures during our San Gimignano visit, etc. San Gimignano is wonderful as a "hill town" with great views, etc. Happy to share more, answer any questions. We did all three of these places during our one day there in June. Our group of six used RomeInLimo. Great guide and service.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,090 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We had visited San Gimignano in 1999 with our son, but it is a town that is always impressive in history and architectural styles. We had lunch here. Below is a long-shot of the hill town with its tower from the wonderful countryside below and nearby.

SanGimiLongShot.jpg

Within San Gimignano, here is a view of the main Cathedral Square, etc.:

SanGimiMainCathedralSquare-1.jpg

Lucca has so many cute and interesting shops. Here is one example that we enjoyed so much. It is the Antico Caffe Dei Simo at Via Fillungo 58. Its origins date back to 1846 and has seen famed artists such as Verdi and Puccini pass through its doors.:

LuccaShopInteriorCounter.jpg

There are many, many churches in Lucca. Here is one of older ones in this walled town. This view is framed by the arches of a nearby building structure.:

LuccaOlderChurchArchView.jpg

On our first visit to Pisa, we were very impressed by its famed Leaning Tower. This tower is much taller than I expected. It is 185’ high. Big for that era and their construction tools/techniques! They just completed a major cleaning of the tower in the weeks before our June visit. Below shows its overall setting and the second its lower ground-level. Work on the white marble campanile began in 1173, during a period of Pisa’s military success and financial prosperity. The tower began to sink as construction started on the second floor in 1178. This was due to having only a three-meter foundation, set in weak, unstable, sandy subsoil. Construction was halted for almost a century, due to the Republic of Pisa being almost continually engaged in battles with the city-states of Genoa, Lucca and Florence. The seventh floor was completed in 1319. The bell-chamber was added in 1372. Also impressive here are the Pisa Baptistry (begun in the mid 12th century) and Duomo (main) church (construction started in 1064 as a model of Pisan Romanesque style of architecture). Pisa has a couple of major universities here. There is another church here that also has a leaning (and shorter) tower. We drove by that site, also. Two leaning towers in Pisa! How many knew that?:

PisaLeaningTower.jpg

PisaTowerBaseSlant.jpg

Great pictures! It really helps to get a visual in your mind.

For some reason, I think my kids would be bored with Lucca. By this point in the cruise, I have a feeling they will be "done' with churches and while we enjoy a little bit of shopping, it isn't something we do a lot of on trips. Now climbing a tower in San Gimignano sounds like something they would like but after climbing the tower in Pisa, I am not so sure my legs can take it. Since San Gimignano is in the countryside, I am wondering if there is a farm we can visit. My kids love all animals.

Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to explore all options.

Other tips welcome. Also, I just read in Rick Steves book that Volterra is his favorite hill town. I guess I need to look at that one too.

I disagree. The Cathedral and the Baptistry, both also at the Piazza dei Miracoli, are beautiful and deserve some time. Plus if they want to climb the tower, that'll take a bit longer that just "looking at it".

Lucca is the logical choice but it's not considered a "hill town" (actually, its very flat). However, its lovely , I highly recommend it. A favorite pastime is to ride bikes on the wall around the city (you can rent them).

I stand corrected. You're right; there is more than just a look-see at the Leaning Tower. I think I was just so taken aback by the hordes of people that all I wanted to do was take my photo and leave (and this was only last week...I can't even imagine what it's like in the height of the tourist season :eek:).

...Since San Gimignano is in the countryside, I am wondering if there is a farm we can visit. My kids love all animals. ...

Something to consider: I'm pretty sure the customs form used when reentering the USA has a box to check if you were on a farm in a foreign country. I've never done that so I'm not sure what happens if you check it.

Lucca is a great place...great walking city and has very unique walls around it that are so wide you can ride bikes on them...renting bikes would be fun with kids. Have been to Volterra nd San Gimig. several times and while lovely, with kids I would try to minimize the amount of time I am in the car getting from point a to point b, and with Lucca so close to Pisa that would be my choice...

Thanks for the great insights. It helps to keep narrowing down things until we get the "winner". With all of these tips, I think I need to also consider Cinque Terre too then. Not all 5 towns but the one with the beach, Monterosso. Any thoughts on this option in combination with Pisa?

Great pictures! It really helps to get a visual in your mind. For some reason, I think my kids would be bored with Lucca. By this point in the cruise, I have a feeling they will be "done' with churches and while we enjoy a little bit of shopping, it isn't something we do a lot of on trips. Now climbing a tower in San Gimignano sounds like something they would like but after climbing the tower in Pisa, I am not so sure my legs can take it.

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. Tell us more about your kids, their ages, interests, past travel successes, etc.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,261 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry - also meant to ask, what kind of camera did you use? I am hoping not to lug a big camera with us but would love to get some great pictures like those. I just bought a new Canon point and shoot.

All my kids love a beach. They also to "climb things". My 10 - 14 year olds spent 2 hours climbing on and playing on the rocks in Central Park this summer. Strange, but they get these little games going and still enjoy "playing". I know that I will have to watch how many churches and museums I add to our itinerary. While they are bright kids and love history, they are still kids and that age group tends to get bored with this kind of thing if it is overdone. They also like interactive things (they do well with a great tour guide) Also, about bike riding in Lucca. I am trying to stay away from things we can do at home. When I Googled a picture of Lucca's walls, it looked exactly like the leevies we have in New Orleans, something we have done many times.

I don't think I'd recommend trying to get to Monterosso al Mare in addition to Pisa. Monterosso is the farthest of the villages from Pisa. I wouldn't travel all the way there just for the beach (it's a little beach). Now, I took the train between Pisa and Cinque Terre, so I can't comment on what it would be like to drive.

Something else you can do: use your favorite search engine and search for "things to do with kids in Tuscany" - you might hit on something that you find interesting!

You could also just return to the ship after Pisa and let the kids use the pools.

Med cruises are very port intensive and I think it's helpful to build in down time, especially with kids.

Terry - also meant to ask, what kind of camera did you use? I am hoping not to lug a big camera with us but would love to get some great pictures like those. I just bought a new Canon point and shoot. All my kids love a beach. They also to "climb things". While they are bright kids and love history, they are still kids and that age group tends to get bored with this kind of thing if it is overdone. They also like interactive things (they do well with a great tour guide)

Appreciate the added info on your kids. That helps. Many of the beaches in Europe are not as sandy, wide, gently sloped as some have experienced in parts of the US. I would suggest getting your kids involved in the planning process. Have them looking at some of the visual books such as Eyewitness that have nice pictures and graphics so that they are having "buy in" on what you would or might be doing.

On cameras, the point and shoot kinds have gotten lots better. I used on this trip a Nikon D3100. It's a SLR or single lens reflex type. Not really that heavy or large. Cameras have gotten better and better. Having a good zoom lens makes a big difference. These days, that camera with a flexible 18-55mm zoom lens, covers a wide range of views from wider angle to closer. It runs around $600 and is not as complicated as it might seem. I shoot most shots on the automatic or program setting with the camera doing all of the "work" for focus and the speed/setting. You might check this earlier posting for many more photo tips, secrets and ideas.

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Let me know any added questions or reactions. I found taking cruise and travel pictures are fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs. It also keeps these memories "fresh" as you can re-live your experiences, share them with friends, etc.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,584 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Pisa and the surrounding Cathedral are wonderful. Everyone in my group of 11 from 7-82 including kids 9, 12, and 14 loved the climb. I know that after that they had seen enough cathedrals and historical stuff to have little interest for much more. At least with Florence its "Florence!"

The ride to Florence was long, but not too long. IMHO well worth it. Lets see in history Florence is taught as the birth of Renaissance. When one thinks of it what is the iconic thing that comes to mind, "David!" If I had to choose between showing my kids FLorence or Pisa no question Florence. With 10 hours in port you can do both, now will you have to pick and choose the sights, yes. We easily did Ponte Vecchio, the gates/Dumo, St Croce, leisure lunch outside St Croce and David of course. When they look back now I think they really appreciate being somewhere they read about or have read about so much in their history books, YMMV. There is no question by midway they had seen enough ruins, but it is Florence. They were exhausted at the end of the day but had a nice nap after a great gellato stop across from Ponte Vecchio. No questions the three Italy ports Naples, Rome and Florence/Pisa were exhausting, but like many things in life sometimes exhuasting and rewarding go hand in hand.

Unless one plans to get this way and expose your kids IMHO you'll regret it years later.

4180_Pisa.jpg.17e7013dac45023fdf818cae118b1140.jpg

4330_Florence.jpg.687d3941f8b3372274bdb41c8e5f3397.jpg

1254564901_4410_FlorenceSantaCroce.jpg.e436d9665d10ab67ad5a4c53d2c6f642.jpg

1371045177_4470_FlorencePonteVecchio.jpg.b667a7572c91c3e6ed7cfc3a0c708f59.jpg

241271305_4480_FlorenceEndofanotherlongday.jpg.d6d9ba37eecea5c6907a27c837aa0901.jpg

These are all greats thoughts and insights. It gives me so much to think about. I am trying to imagine how we will feel at the end of 2 full days doing Naples and Rome so I can make a decision on Livorno, but I keep going all over the place with this decision (the long drive time to everything is what is making me most crazy!) I think I need to just sit on it for a while and revisit it in a few months. I would still have time. At least I know for sure we would like to visit Pisa (my kids have given their input on that one).

Just wondering, is there anything at all to do in Livorno (did read in Rick Steves book that there is a boat ride in the canals around the town)? Is there a beach very near the port where the cruise docks? This way, I would just not plan part of the day and see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

World Gallery,

I am so glad I found this post, I have been having the same thoughts for months about whether or not to go to Florence. Have you found anything to do in Livorno?

I am so confused by this that I seem to change my mind daily.

World Gallery,

I am so glad I found this post, I have been having the same thoughts for months about whether or not to go to Florence. Have you found anything to do in Livorno?

I am so confused by this that I seem to change my mind daily.

We have decided not do Florence for sure. There doesn't seem to me much to do in Livorno. Right now, we have it narrowed down to half day Pisa then going in the opposite direction to Volterra and San Gimignano or skipping Pisa and doing Volterra and S. Gimingnano since Pisa is so much out of the way from these two places.

The difficultly for us is, we want to see Pisa but that will only take 2 to 3 hours at the most. We aren't interested in Lucca, which would be the best option to add to Pisa since they are close. We are wanting to do two places that are far apart, so we need to make a decision so that we are not in the car most of the day.

We have decided not do Florence for sure. There doesn't seem to me much to do in Livorno. Right now, we have it narrowed down to half day Pisa then going in the opposite direction to Volterra and San Gimignano or skipping Pisa and doing Volterra and S. Gimingnano since Pisa is so much out of the way from these two places.

The difficultly for us is, we want to see Pisa but that will only take 2 to 3 hours at the most. We aren't interested in Lucca, which would be the best option to add to Pisa since they are close. We are wanting to do two places that are far apart, so we need to make a decision so that we are not in the car most of the day.

Any idea how far the ride is from Livorno to San Gimignano and Volterra. Are they doable by train or do we need a driver? Have already been to Florence a couple of times, done Pisa and Lucca, so they are out. Thanks

Any idea how far the ride is from Livorno to San Gimignano and Volterra. Are they doable by train or do we need a driver? Have already been to Florence a couple of times, done Pisa and Lucca, so they are out. Thanks

I used Google maps and it is about 1 hour 20 minutes to Volterra then about 40 minutes to San Gimignano. I don't know about the train. I doubt there is one but maybe someone can answer that. We are going to use a driver (but not sure who yet).

Archived