Taieri Gorge Rail Trip, DUNEDIN

I have read various posts regarding the Taieri Gorge rail trip at Dunedin and the alternate purchase of tickets for the train direct from the Dunedin Railway Station at less than half the price charged for by the Ships' Excursions.

We are on the March 30th Cruise on Sun Princess and the ship will be in Pt.

Chalmers (Dunedin) on Sunday 8th April.

I went to the NZ Railways web site to book two tickets for the train on that day only to be advised that the Gorge service was not available on that day. Princess are advising that the Gorge Rail trip is available on the 8th April

I can only assume that Princess has either chartered the whole train or taken out a blanket booking for it so as passengers have no alternative but to book through the ship's excursion office at their exorbinent price of $198 per ticket as compared with $89 from the Railway Station (had the train been available on that day)

If this is the case then I think this is blatant price fixing and manipulation of the free market.

What do other people think?

http://www.taieri.co.nz/cruise.htm

Cruise Ship Trip

A special train trip collects cruise ship passengers from Port Chalmers

Wine and Dine on the trip of a lifetime. On your ships arrival into Port Chalmers the Taieri Gorge Railway will greet you to embark on a half a day long return journey to Pukerangi. Each carriage is hosted by two staff to cater for your needs and all drinks are included in the cost of the trip.

If you are a cruise ship passenger interested in taking the Taieri Gorge Railway trip, contact your cruise company for further information about booking.

Please Note: Individual Cruise Ship Trips may vary slightly from the described above.

Please Note:

Travelers on the Cruise Ship Pickup Journey can expect to pay a different price to our ordinary standard service. This is due to the added extras of this special cruise ship Journey

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Hi,

This is exactly the same for us, and we have gone through the exact processes re attempting to book privately. I may be able to answer, although it does relate to our date. When I sent an email to the Railway Station, after finding it was not available for our day online, I received an answer back stating that there were no public services on this day, due to the fact that there were two cruise ships in that day, and all seats had been booked by them. I did a check, and this info was correct. Too bad for us....second time we have missed out.....but others are still able to prebook this way, it seems. Hope this eases your mind, tis just luck of the draw, as the railway are more than happy to sell you tickets if available.

Jen

Edited by bobhsv
sp error

Out of curiosity, I had a look at the port schedule. Seems you are the only ones in town that day. Also had a look at the trains, with 2 trips showing as available on this day. The first goes right through to Middlemarch, and the second is the Seasider....different route. I was unable to do a dummy booking, and gather this is how you found out there are no seats available. Had you considered the Seasider? It looked good to us, but was unavailable on our date. Disheartening, isn't it, and totally feel your frustration. Hope others on here may have better advice.

Jen

As above, the ship's version does have extras, not least that it makes an extra trip to go to the port for cruise passengers.

While you might argue that the shorter trip without meals is better value, it’s also a different product, and it’s pretty normal for there to be basic products and products with extras that cost more. They don’t have an unllmited number of trains and crews though, so if they have deployed that set for a charter then it’s not available to the public (the same as when any other charter occurs.) Free market in action! :-)

This is part of cruising- if you want to travel independently then go another time when NOT on a cruise.

We have done the Taieri rail trip to Middlemarch ourselves about 5- 6 years ago and it was dearer than or about $89 then, with no meals and drinks included- so I don't know how you got that price.

Remember, if you went by yourselves you would have to find your own way to the station,

Cruise tours are often more expensive but they are a safe IDIOT PROOF way of seeing a country you don't know or have time to see otherwise.

Suck it up and go with it or Miss out.

There no cutting out the middle man, when it comes to the Taieri Gorge Rail Trip and cruise ships. We have tried on three cruises. two with P&O and one with princess

Edited by thied

There no cutting out the middle man, when it comes to the Taieri Gorge Rail Trip and cruise ships. We have tried on three cruises. two with P&O and one with princess

Yes you are correct Thied-

I didn't mean to sound smart- But its just a fact that in Smaller local economies the only tours available will be block book by the cruise companies.

And who can blame the tourist operators in this economic climate- at least with the cruise company booking it all out they will get maximum capacity bookings.

We were in Dunedin on Volendam in January and had the same situation with the only Taeri Gorge trip booked out by the ship. The people who went on that trip loved it, by the way.

The cost was a bit more than we were able to spend for the 3 of us so I booked the Seasider online. It was a wonderful trip. The cost was around $72NZ per adult and our 14 year old son was free. I booked by email with the railway and we caught a local bus into town to catch the train. The scenery was great and there was a 45 minute stop at Palmerston before the trip back. The train had a small snack bar but we had eaten breakfast on the ship so we didn't need it. The journey took about 4 hours altogether and I would highly recommend it.:)

We were in Dunedin on Volendam in January and had the same situation with the only Taeri Gorge trip booked out by the ship. The people who went on that trip loved it, by the way.

The cost was a bit more than we were able to spend for the 3 of us so I booked the Seasider online. It was a wonderful trip. The cost was around $72NZ per adult and our 14 year old son was free. I booked by email with the railway and we caught a local bus into town to catch the train. The scenery was great and there was a 45 minute stop at Palmerston before the trip back. The train had a small snack bar but we had eaten breakfast on the ship so we didn't need it. The journey took about 4 hours altogether and I would highly recommend it.:)

Totally agree we went on the train to Middlemarch, which is further than the cruise ship tour (we actually passed them, and waved to them), and absolutely loved it. The other advantage in booking direct is that kids are free, and you get to board at the station (which is a highlight in itself) in Dunedin.

We also found that we didn't need to eat much, so full from the big breakfast on board.

make a group booking through your roll call fellow passengers and save 10% if more than 10 people book, which I organised and encouraged fellow passengers to go on.

This is exactly the same for us, and we have gone through the exact processes re attempting to book privately. I may be able to answer, although it does relate to our date. When I sent an email to the Railway Station, after finding it was not available for our day online, I received an answer back stating that there were no public services on this day, due to the fact that there were two cruise ships in that day, and all seats had been booked by them. I did a check, and this info was correct. Too bad for us....second time we have missed out.....but others are still able to prebook this way, it seems. Hope this eases your mind, tis just luck of the draw, as the railway are more than happy to sell you tickets if available.

Jen

Unfortunatley this does happen occasionally, and probably even more so this cruise season with the amount of ships cruising to NZ, we encountered this in January this year and could not book it, but have had no trouble booking it for March next year on our Radiance trip, and yes Oysterfiend that price is correct. If the trip is available the company is more than happy for you to book it beforehand. Robin :)

I have read various posts regarding the Taieri Gorge rail trip at Dunedin and the alternate purchase of tickets for the train direct from the Dunedin Railway Station at less than half the price charged for by the Ships' Excursions.

We are on the March 30th Cruise on Sun Princess and the ship will be in Pt.

Chalmers (Dunedin) on Sunday 8th April.

I went to the NZ Railways web site to book two tickets for the train on that day only to be advised that the Gorge service was not available on that day. Princess are advising that the Gorge Rail trip is available on the 8th April

I can only assume that Princess has either chartered the whole train or taken out a blanket booking for it so as passengers have no alternative but to book through the ship's excursion office at their exorbinent price of $198 per ticket as compared with $89 from the Railway Station (had the train been available on that day)

If this is the case then I think this is blatant price fixing and manipulation of the free market.

What do other people think?

Are you looking on the Taieri Gorge Railway site? I just had a look and it says that the 9.30 to Middlemarsh $97 return or the 9.30 Seasider $81 return are both available on this day. I would check this out on the website and send them a booking enquiry, we have booked online for March next year, We sent them an enquiry and have emailed them several times and they are very helpful. Good luck. Robin:)

Yes you are correct Thied-

I didn't mean to sound smart- But its just a fact that in Smaller local economies the only tours available will be block book by the cruise companies.

And who can blame the tourist operators in this economic climate- at least with the cruise company booking it all out they will get maximum capacity bookings.

but it would be easyer for the cruise ship line to sale the seats for the hole train then part of the train. but its all about money

but it would be easyer for the cruise ship line to sale the seats for the hole train then part of the train. but its all about money

I believe that the train the cruise line uses is not the same one available for the public to book. The cruise line excursion departs from the dock in Port Chalmers where the train can be seen literally beside the ship. The usual train that anyone can book leaves around the same time from the railway station in Dunedin, about 30-45 minutes drive away.

Is it all about money? Of course it is and I cannot see what is wrong with that. The cruiselines are running a business and any profit on a particular area of the business helps keep the initial price of the cruise down.:D

Are you looking on the Taieri Gorge Railway site? I just had a look and it says that the 9.30 to Middlemarsh $97 return or the 9.30 Seasider $81 return are both available on this day. I would check this out on the website and send them a booking enquiry, we have booked online for March next year, We sent them an enquiry and have emailed them several times and they are very helpful. Good luck. Robin:)

Well all I can say is over the last 5 years they haven't put the price up much. It was over our 20 year anniversary.

We did it independently and it is correct that if you go independently on a NONE cruise day it goes right onto Middlemarch-

We had enough time to order and eat lunch before re- boarding the train.

If you think you may ever come this way again, and not on a cruise ship, then doing it by yourselves from Dunedin would be better.

The other trip sounds like a nice alternative.

Edited by oysterfiend

Success!!!! Have contacted the Railway Booking office and managed to book two tickets on the Taieri Gorge trip for the 8th April for NZ$89 compared with AUD$198 ship price. This makes the $100 plus price difference a very expensive champagne lunch on the train. I do not know if the train we are booked on is the same that the ship passengers are on but it leaves at the same time of 9-30am. There are plenty of seats left on the "Seasider" from Dunedin to Greymouth and return for the same day if anyone is interested.

John

Success!!!! Have contacted the Railway Booking office and managed to book two tickets on the Taieri Gorge trip for the 8th April for NZ$89 compared with AUD$198 ship price. This makes the $100 plus price difference a very expensive champagne lunch on the train. I do not know if the train we are booked on is the same that the ship passengers are on but it leaves at the same time of 9-30am. There are plenty of seats left on the "Seasider" from Dunedin to Greymouth and return for the same day if anyone is interested.

John

Fabulous news, well done! This will make your day in Dunedin even better. It is satisfying to get a good deal, isn't it:D

Jen

Deciding between roughly $100 pp direct from the station, and $200 pp from the cruise ship for the Taieri trip, I would like to know what Princess offers on this train trip, specifically the Sun Princess.

Food ? Drink ? Commentary? Any extras ? Any frills ? Extra comfort ? Can wine be purchased ? Can passengers move between carriages ? Is it the same train that leaves from Dunedin station ?

We have booked the ship's tour for early Jan 2012. The $100 difference pays for lack of stress. I hope !

Is there a CC er out there who can tell me from experience what the cruise ship tour offers ? I've seen the train waiting at the dock when we have cruised in NZ previously, and it looked appealing to just step on.

I'd like to contemplate free flowing champagne and white gloved waiters. Yeah, I'm dreaming again. Pick up and return to the ship is the only difference I feel. Oh, a cuppa , bikkie, and sandwich too. And that's fine.

Regards, Ann

We booked a party of 4 on the TGR for this coming Thursday (3 Nov) when we'll be in Dunedin, off the 'Sea'. We booked it back in Aug, cost 84 NZD pp. It returns at about 1.30pm, so we also booked a 'Speight's Brewery Tour' that commences at 2pm, a couple of blocks away from the train station. That's 23 NZD pp as well. :D Pay both on the day!

BTW they do sell wine and beer on board the train, so we'll have lunch on board! (That'll be extra. :rolleyes:)

Might even do a short pub crawl back in town, before (IF?) we get back on the ship!

MP.