Trying out inside Cabin on Dawn Princess- Melbourne, Burnie, Hobart, Sydney 26/04/13

I have just booked us in an inside cabin(twinshare- queensize bed in the BOWELS of the ship)

on Dawn Princess,

Mebourne, Burnie, Hobart, Sydney- 5 day cruise.

We have always had an ocean view or a balcony cabin-.

I have always worried about no light and feeling claustrophobic but as booking an inside saves us about $800 on a 5 day cruise I thought this is the time to try it.

Over a 20 day Carribbean it could save us $1000s.

We have sometimes travelled in an inside cabin. The main problem we had at first was that we didn't know what time it was. During the night I got out of bed several times do I could go into the bathroom to look at my watch. :) Now we take a clock that has a digital display. The display is powered by 240 electricity and the clock part runs off batteries so it keeps correct time. Another suggestion is to take a small plug-in night light.

People often suggest that you can leave the TV on with the sound turned down. It didn't work on the Sun Princess because the camera was pointed at the lighting on the pool deck of the ship during the night.

We have sometimes travelled in an inside cabin. The main problem we had at first was that we didn't know what time it was. During the night I got out of bed several times do I could go into the bathroom to look at my watch. :) Now we take a clock that has a digital display. The display is powered by 240 electricity and the clock part runs off batteries so it keeps correct time. Another suggestion is to take a small plug-in night light.

People often suggest that you can leave the TV on with the sound turned down. It didn't work on the Sun Princess because the camera was pointed at the lighting on the pool deck of the ship during the night.

we cruise a lot inside cabins and if you leave on the bathroom light enough light comes under the door so you are not stumbling around in the dark....a small plug in night light can make the room a bit light....we always take a digital clock so we know what the time is

we cruise a lot inside cabins and if you leave on the bathroom light enough light comes under the door so you are not stumbling around in the dark....a small plug in night light can make the room a bit light....we always take a digital clock so we know what the time is

We also usually leave the bathroom light on (with the door closed).

The plug-in night lights I mean are square ones about 4cm square that go directly into the socket. They give out a very dim light.

Thank you all for the hints-

IT IS Pleasing to know that there is still life after an oceanview cabin.

Now that we are so addicted to cruising and want to do it more often we have to find ways of making the bucks go further.

We are travelling on Carnival Spirit from Honolulu to Sydney and the balconies were so reasonable it was silly not to book one.

But as you all know cruises down under are more expensive.

There is no doubt at all that cruising in an outside cabin is far superior to an inside cabin - in exactly the same way that flying long haul in Business class is far superior to cattle class. BUT.... is it worth the extra??? In your case, $800 over 5 days buys a lot of lollipops!! :) I saw a fare advertised recently whereby an outside cabin would have been $2000 more expensive than an inside over 14 days for a couple. As the itinerary and the ports are a VERY important part of any cruise for us - and we also like lollipops while onboard, for us we will keep the $2000 for those.

Actually, out of our 9 cruises so far , only 2 have been inside. In Arcadia we were inside - but upgraded to a LARGE inside (for 6 weeks) - on QM2 we had a tiny inside for 6 days . Both were fine and I enjoyed the shore tours and the lollipops. :)

Barry

I booked an inside on a 2 nighter to test it out. Wasn't too bad. Light at night in the room is no different to an ocean view or balcony in my opinion, until the sun comes up :D I leave my bathroom light on with the door closed in a balcony or ocean view room anyway at night :p

I'm not convinced I could do it for a longer cruise. Most of my shortey cruises have been ocean view cabins as they were cheaper than inside cabins anyway. But...there's always a but LOL......my NYE Rhapsody cruise is an inside cabin as that is all they had! And my Explorer/Caribbean from NYC I've booked a balcony (yup cheap :D but inside is heaps cheap!)

I've also found with balconies that I don't use them near enough, especially travelling as a solo, I'm out and about or zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.

However, my greatest fear, is getting sick (particularly as a solo) and being confined/quarantined to a cabin and not having any fresh air.

We are also trying out an inside cabin on Arcadia next year.

I will be interested to see how we go. My main worry is not being able to open the balcony door and get fresh air.

There certainly are good savings to be had on inside cabins.

Raison

The LARGE insides on Arcadia are huge - 220 sq m. I have never felt that there was insufficient fresh air in an inside cabin (the two that we have been in ) - but then again I did spend some time in the Submarine Service in another life many years ago!!

The only problem for me with the Arcadia inside cabin was this. On Oriana, we were able to purchase duty free and take it to our cabin - so, having an outside cabin , I used to partake of a large Gin and Tonic in the cabin each day , looking out the window at the sea and sky and pondered the meaning of Life and the Universe, etc. However, on Arcadia inside, doing this felt somewhat meaningless - so I became less and less prone to it :p.

Barry

All our cruises have been in an inside cabin and what others have said is true about

1. keeping bathroom light on at night
  2. taking a little clock
  3. money saved

Also for some fresh air, we prop open the door at night for a few hours...no one is generally around and have the aircon on low all the time. Also you can get wake-up calls or room service to wake you on the days you need it.

After all the $$$ saved makes for more buying and after all any cabin on a ship is better than none....lol!

BTW I'm not good in confined spaces and did not have any problem at all.

I say go for it without any worries........

B&B

By the way, on our recent 46 night Indian Ocean cruise I noticed that the vast majority of Elite cruisers were in inside cabins. :)

Yes - we prefer an outside, and would rather have a balcony than an outside cabin and would really love to have a suite. We have cruised in all these categories and would rather cruise in an inside cabin twice (or three times) than have one cruise in a more expensive cabin. :)

For anyone who hasn't sailed on Princess and who is wondering how I know what cabins people were in, I mention that each cabin has a name tag on the 'letter box' with a coloured logo indicating the Captains Circle membership level.

I have just booked us in an inside cabin(twinshare- queensize bed in the BOWELS of the ship)

on Dawn Princess,

Mebourne, Burnie, Hobart, Sydney- 5 day cruise.

We have always had an ocean view or a balcony cabin-.

I have always worried about no light and feeling claustrophobic but as booking an inside saves us about $800 on a 5 day cruise I thought this is the time to try it.

Over a 20 day Carribbean it could save us $1000s.

Hi,

I have cruised many times and had outside and balcony cabins but now we go inside all the time just to save the extra money for tours etc...its never bothered us at all.I wear my watch to bed and its an ilumious dial and we leave the ensuite light on with the door slightly ajar.

Having said that we only spend limited time in our cabin to much to do around the ship.

Col:)

My wife was very worried when we booked an inside cabin for the first time on a 21 night cruise.

During the cruise she remarked that she was sleeping better and in the end it made no difference to her that we were in an inside cabin.

Most of the subsequent cruises have been in an inside cabin.

Cheaper cabin = more cruises.

I have tried them all -

six berth (with five strangers)

four berth (with three strangers)

two berth inside

two berth outside porthole

two berth outside window

and now for the first time a suite!

If it means more cruising/travel, I'm happy with an inside cabin.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I try a suite. :)

:)Well We just wouldn't be able to do it so soon after

5 weeks away - September, 2012 when we fly to Hawaii- spend 16 nights (9 hotel stays and 7 nights timeshare in Kona, BI) there and 17 nights sailing home on Carnival Spirit- 5 weeks seems absolutely,positively decadent.

(In a Balcony- Cheapest unobstructed near aft but still a balcony- and so cheap compared to Australasian cruises).

I wanted to get another cheap balcony on the SPIRIT before her prices jump up reflecting the Australasian cruise market.

How can you justify over $2000 each for a 5 day cruise when only 6 months earlier you have had a 5 week Holiday to Hawaii and Back,

Inside it is Down in the Bowels somewhere- I did stipulate we had to have a Queensize bed though.

I am looking forward to a day and a half wandering about Hobart.

Do the ships berth right in the City?:confused:

As they say "whatever floats your boat"...seriously lots of cruise addicts regularly cruise insides so that they get to cruise more often!

I am getting to try out my first inside on the Radiance..so I will have some idea how I react to it...from the ones I saw on the Dawn they are quite big and looked good.

As they say "whatever floats your boat"...seriously lots of cruise addicts regularly cruise insides so that they get to cruise more often!

I am getting to try out my first inside on the Radiance..so I will have some idea how I react to it...from the ones I saw on the Dawn they are quite big and looked good.

Its more a question of light to me but HEY saving $800 bucks on a 5 day cruise after only being in Hawaii 6 months earlier is for us a no-brainer at this point unless we win big on lotto or bonus bonds.

I have to make beds and clean bogs for my spends and as the economy has worsened I have had to become more discerning.

Still have the travel bug though.

Just have to plan it better.

Oysterfiend - Yes the ships dock right in the city of Hobart just a 5 minute walk into the city (shops etc) but lots to see and do around the wharf as well. I am from Hobart and I will be on the Century calling into hobart early December - cant wait to sail up the Derwent getting a different perspective of my home city. There is probably a lot you can do on your own if you are going to be here for more than the usual 1 day. There will be information people at the wharf I am sure for you to decide on activities when you actually arrive.

Oysterfiend - Yes the ships dock right in the city of Hobart just a 5 minute walk into the city (shops etc) but lots to see and do around the wharf as well. I am from Hobart and I will be on the Century calling into hobart early December - cant wait to sail up the Derwent getting a different perspective of my home city. There is probably a lot you can do on your own if you are going to be here for more than the usual 1 day. There will be information people at the wharf I am sure for you to decide on activities when you actually arrive.

Thanks,

We have been to Tasmania before and intend to go again independently.

I did not want to go to Port Arthur again and so that is why we booked the 5 day cruise.

A day and a half in Hobart just seemed too good an opportunity to miss.

My brother lives in Bicheno, and I want to get a timeshare week sometime other than on the cruise, so we can take our time enjoying all the crafty villages and pub counter lunches.

We loved our last visit which was 13 years ago- way too long ago.

Oysterfiend, you post that you stipulated a queen sized bed for your inside cabin, so here is a quick heads up.

We sailed the dawn princess round oz cruise 28 days in an inside and loved it, but if you have the bed made up in queen size configuration then there is very little space either side of the bed.

We had found on sun princess oz to nz and back that we preferred the bed to be seperated into two singles which were by the walls thus giving a large space between the two and felt less crowded.

By the way, on our recent 46 night Indian Ocean cruise I noticed that the vast majority of Elite cruisers were in inside cabins. :)

Yes - we prefer an outside, and would rather have a balcony than an outside cabin and would really love to have a suite. We have cruised in all these categories and would rather cruise in an inside cabin twice (or three times) than have one cruise in a more expensive cabin. :)

For anyone who hasn't sailed on Princess and who is wondering how I know what cabins people were in, I mention that each cabin has a name tag on the 'letter box' with a coloured logo indicating the Captains Circle membership level.

Yes, we are noticing this more and more, especially the US cruises. We are elite on our April Transatlantic and have realised after having suites, mini suites, balconies, outside and inside that we don't spend very much time in our cabin and it is not really worth the extra cost to us of having the more expensive rooms. We would rather travel more and have an inside. We are doing 33 nights in April in an inside and 24 in 2013 in an inside, both of these are on US Princess ships BUT we DO choose the cabin location and stick to it.

Agree with that - for inside AND outside cabins. Single beds allow for a much better usage of cabin space.

Barry

I agree with your comment, however, both of you have to agree on this.:) The cabin is much more spacious set out with twin beds, but my husband insists on a queen bed. :)

Oysterfiend, you post that you stipulated a queen sized bed for your inside cabin, so here is a quick heads up.

We sailed the dawn princess round oz cruise 28 days in an inside and loved it, but if you have the bed made up in queen size configuration then there is very little space either side of the bed.

We had found on sun princess oz to nz and back that we preferred the bed to be seperated into two singles which were by the walls thus giving a large space between the two and felt less crowded.

When on holiday I like to be in bed with the old man- he works 2 hours away (staying over when working) and when we are on holiday we at least want to sleep together.

Archived