Help with Pedicure!

EithneMay

I always get a pedicure before cruising. I have gone to a very up-scale salon paying $65 for a pedicure. I have also gone to a fairly inexpensive salon and paid $20, and I have given myself a pedicure.

No matter what I do, my pretty painted toes never last beyond the first 3-4 days. I love snorkeling, so I am pretty much in the water on every day of the cruise. I know this causes the pedicure to wear off much faster.

I don't want to spend my cruise days re-painting my toes, and I am not going to pay spa prices to keep my toes pretty. What can I do to help my pedicure last longer? I have a B2B coming up, and 2 days pre-cruise. So, 16 days is a long time to not have pretty toes!

Any suggestions?

I use a basecoat, then 2 color coats, the 3-4 clear coats! Yes...being in sand will take the polish right off.....it literally SANDS your toenails!

I would simply bring my color and a top-coat and do re-touches as needed. The water won't hurt the polish, but some colors will fade from the sun, and sand will rub it right off.

When I do mine at home I leave a lot of time between coats (base, two coats of color and one top coat). Actually, I sometimes spread it over two days! However, my pedicures last forever.;)

Excellent advice, and echoed by the woman who does my pedicures. She advises clear coats after I leave the salon... just keep doing them. Take a bottle of your color or as close as possible, and a full bottle of clear coat. You may have to touch up every day, but it will only take a few moments.

Also, keep the coats fairly light; if you get what looks like air bubbles in your polish, your hand is too heavy or you are not letting the coats dry between applying them.

Have a great cruise! Enjoy your snorkelling.

My pedicure usually lasts up to a 10 day cruise and I get the $25 one at home. Base coat, two color coats and a top coat, cured with UV.

I do, however, buy the color of my choice, usually OPI or China Glaze, and take it with me. Then it is my bottle to take with me for repairs.

Thanks for the tips. I will try waiting between coats at home and see how it goes. If I can get it to last a month at home, It should last 2 weeks on a cruise! I will take touch up polish, but I hope I won't need it.

My big suggestion would be to space it out and put on an extra top coat. Usually if I have two coats of topcoat I never get enough worn off for you to get able to tell. (But if its a long trip I will add another thin layer of top coat on after 2-3 days, this way the sand is taking the top coat off and not the color!) If you go get yours done professionally, bring your own polish - this means it will match and you can bring it with you. This way you can do a quick spiffing in your cabin if you really have to.

But really, I've never had my polish come off anytime I didn't want it to with two good coats of OPI's top coat.

My pedicures always last 4 weeks no matter what, sometimes even after 4 weeks I don't think I need a pedi, but I do it anyway for maintenance. I don't do them at home, I think it may have to do with the quality of polish my manicurist uses. I know some shops will extend the life of a bottle of polish with thinner, polish tends to wear off sooner if thinned. I have asked my manicurist if they thin polish and she told me "never".

My suggestion would be to take your own, fresh polish with you when you get a pedicure. Make sure your nails are clean before application and paint an extra coat of top coat on the following day. My manicurist cleans my toenails with polish remover to get off any dust or oils that may be there after the filing, soaking and massage.

Last Feb on The Miracle I got a shallac manicure it lasted over two weeks. I will have one done here at home as it will be cheaper before we leave this Sat. It lasted even snokeling and on beaches. I've never had problems with a reg pedicure. Thinking of getting one that looks like the whale tale!!!

When I do mine at home I leave a lot of time between coats (base, two coats of color and one top coat). Actually, I sometimes spread it over two days! However, my pedicures last forever.;)

This is key---spread the pedi over a few days. This is what I do, too, and mine last forever. As a matter of fact, I'm cruising on 11/6 and just started last night with a base coat. I'll be doing the first coat of polish tomorrow and then probably Sunday go with a second coat, followed by a top coat after about an hour. Then, on Friday, I'll go over my nails again with a really light coat of color at the edges and follow up with topcoat after it dries. I'm good for a few weeks. But, do take your topcoat with you, as well as the bottle of color just in case.

Shellac is the solution.

I own a spa and it is a huge hit with our clients.

It isn't a gel polish, which can take quite a soaking to come off, Shellac comes of literally in minutes (5 minutes for mine last time) but it will last almost 3 weeks on finger nails if looked after and longer on toes.

I am having Shellac finger nails and Minx toes done next weekend ready for our departure on the 7th.

Or you could get the shellacc manicure at the spa - it lasts a looong time - way better than the other type IMO.

This. Although my pedicures last my mani's do not. So I got afrench before my last cruise and it looked great two weeks later

I have to agree with everyone on shellac manicure/pedicure. I can't keep polish on my nails for more than 2 days, but with shellac the regrowth bothers me before I see a chip. Also, I really like the shellac brand. There is another brand that I don't think is as good.

No matter what brand polish I use, I always have to touch up the color.

I get mani/pedi on every HAL cruise and I think the price combined is $70 plus tip. I get just basic mani/pedi, not the 'newfangled' ones. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I always do my own and I have had several people ask who does them for me! I live in Florida, so my toes are exposed daily. In the summer we go to the beach most weekends and they always last at least a month. Actually, I only re-do them when my nails need a trim. 2 coats of color (no particular brand loyalty) and 2 coats of Revlon quick dry top coat. I leave at least an hour between the coats, so it is a bit time consuming, but well worth it!

If you do not want to do the shellac do as others mentioned and the pedi over days. I will do the base coat and 3 coats of polish over 3 days . In between the coats clean the nail with alcohol or something similar and let dry ( I use astringent) I also add at least 2 top coats and will add a top coat every few days. But make sure the tips are extra done. If your polish gets to the color you love at 3 coats add one extra. I also carry remover and my polish for touch ups.

Archived