Missed the ship

Croozer101

Not sure if someone posted this comment or not. I read somewhere a while back to take a copy of your passport with you leave the original in the safe. We have done that before but also took our DL on shore with us. I did see a couple use a copy of their passports as their ID and they got back on the ship OK.

[quote name='Raven Days']We were actually told to NOT take our passports in Mexico by the CD. We were told to only take the S & S card and and a photo ID.[/quote]

Your taking advice from the CD? Good luck with that. I guess you'll head right down to sudden death bingo, the shopping talk, and buy the cruise DVD? I'll hold onto my passport, as I always do whenever I am in a country other than the US.

[quote name='LemurCat']I was told by a US Embassador the CD is wrong. (And considering the Embassador's staff will be helping you get home while the CD is off to the next port, I'm more inclined to believe the Ambassador.) :D;)[/quote]

I think his basis was that if they were lost or stolen while in Mexico it would be harder to get back into the US. But I am with you, I would follow the advice of the ambassador.

[quote name='elcuchio24']Your taking advice from the CD? Good luck with that. I guess you'll head right down to sudden death bingo, the shopping talk, and buy the cruise DVD? I'll hold onto my passport, as I always do whenever I am in a country other than the US.[/quote]

I never said I followed this advice...What I said was, is that we were told NOT to by the CD. :cool:

[quote name='Raven Days']I think his basis was that if they were lost or stolen while in Mexico it would be harder to get back into the US. But I am with you, I would follow the advice of the ambassador.[/quote]

And the Embassador. Or the Embarrassador. 'Cuz I can't spell today. ;)

It almost happened to me in Cozumel in 2008:rolleyes:

Group we cruise with each year had a open bar party at Carlos and Charlies, took taxi back no problem, saw a sombrero I just had to have, got it and then with too much tequila in my system , for the life of me did not know where the ship was!

I was literally felt like a little kid lost in a mall. Got lucky and a couple who was with us seen me wandering with emerald green sombrero on with a horrible look of panic on my face!

We ran up the pier and were the last three on the ship! The female then thought it a good idea as her partner was going through secruity to yell strip search!:D They were not amused.. :rolleyes:

[quote name='c&d']Not sure if someone posted this comment or not. I read somewhere a while back to take a copy of your passport with you leave the original in the safe. We have done that before but also took our DL on shore with us. I did see a couple use a copy of their passports as their ID and they got back on the ship OK.[/QUOTE]

But if you missed the ship a copy would not get you on a plane.
It would only help the US Consulate with what passport number to report as lost so you could get a replacement .. aka a new one since you would be paying full cost.

[quote name='B and C Blake']The first order of business is take a picture of the aft of ship. Second cry. Third go get drunk.

OK Seriously now ...
Contact the port agent and they will get you in contact with US consulate.
If you did not get in touch with the ship to have them leave your passport you will need to get that replaced before you are going anywhere .. usually 2-4 days. Hopefully you have enough credit on your charge cards to pay for the next few days of hotels, food, airline tickets and full price for new passports.

After all that go get drunk and try to enjoy your extended vacation.[/quote]

We also take passport copies off the boat just in case......but I'm not sure they would help in the least bit....anyone know because if not I'm going to just start taking them off with me.....

[quote name='B and C Blake']But if you missed the ship a copy would not get you on a plane.
It would only help the US Consulate with what passport number to report as lost so you could get a replacement .. aka a new one since you would be paying full cost.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]It may not in this country but it may get you on a plane in other countries.....[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='MrSidewayz']From my experience, it has never not happened, where passengers are missing and the ship will sail without them, where their passports (with or without permission) have not been collected and given to the Port Agent. Belongings no, but security will search the cabin and the safe and if the passports are found hand them over.[/QUOTE]

My son and 3 of his friends, all in their early 20's, were the last 4 passengers to reboard the Ecstasy in Progreso on our cruise last summer. I was FREAKING out! Security had already introduced me to the port agent and told me that if they didn't return within a few minutes, they would send someone to their cabins to get all of their things. So I think they will do that without the passengers' permission. They said they would throw everything in their bags and leave it with the port agent and he would make sure that they had a place to stay for the night and help them get on a flight back to the states (which I would have had to pay for of course). My fear was not that they were just late getting back, but that something horrible had befallen them...the boys had been killed and the girl sold into slavery...there is no limit to the horrible things a mother can imagine! I knew that none of them had their cellphones with them because we had drilled into their heads not to run up a bunch of roaming charges, so we couldn't even call them. Although I tried repeatedly. Carnival's head of security, who couldn't have been nicer to me in spite of me bordering on hysterics, assured me that any time an accident befalls a Carnival passenger, or they are involved with the police in any way, the ship is notified immediately by the authorities and they had received no such notification so he was sure they were ok. (Easy for him to say - not his kid!) But I knew that even if they were not dead on the side of the road somewhere, they were not going to know to contact the port agent, or even that such a person existed. My husband had gone up to the top of the ship with binoculars and a 2-way radio and called down that there was one more bus speeding down the pier. One of the security officers down at the gangplank with me called that bus driver and he understood the driver to say there were 3 passengers on the bus. There should have been 4! So now I'm really about to lose it. Who is missing and why?! But the bus stops and all 4 of them get out, guys are barefoot, shirtless, sunburned and feeling no pain. They had been in Buddy's bar, and Buddy was apparently comping most of their drinks. They didn't even realize that they were almost left. I have never been SO mad and SO relieved at the same time! This is now known in our family as "The Infamous Progreso Incident". And we are NOT planning on taking these knuckleheads, including DS, on any more of our cruises! (My blood pressure has gone up just recalling this memory!)

I was on the Ecstasy docked in Ocho Rios following canal transit when it was announced we were waiting for four additional passengers, who had missed their own (Carnival) ship the day before.

They looked remarkably like the woman in the missed the ship video, and I think the boos and catcalls may have set a record. They were absolutely loaded down with shopping bags.

[quote name='kwbound']My son and 3 of his friends, all in their early 20's, were the last 4 passengers to reboard the Ecstasy in Progreso on our cruise last summer. I was FREAKING out! Security had already introduced me to the port agent and told me that if they didn't return within a few minutes, they would send someone to their cabins to get all of their things. [/quote]

I'm pretty sure they'll only do it if they can hold someone else (that being YOU) liable for anything that goes walkabout. ;)

[quote name='cb at sea']They(the ship) know if you don't reboard, and generally will pack up your stuff and leave it onshore, along with whatever is in your safe. Too bad! They should have watched the time![/quote]

I have never seen luggage being taken off the ship right before sailing and have seen many miss the ship.

The ship does not have time between when the ramp is being taken apart and when it is gone to go pack up a room.

This might happen when you call and let them know you will not make the ship and could they pack up your room and leave it with the shore agent.

[quote name='Blondie008']I would be totally the opposite! Of all the places, Jamaica would be my saviour! I'd grab a cab, and go "home" to Sandals Resorts where I am a regular, and know we would be well cared for! LOVE JAMAICA!!![/quote]
I AGREE!!! :) Just back from our very 1st cruise (Fascination out of Jax on 10/20)! Had a blast & we will DEFINATELY cruise again! However, next vacation is April 2012 (for our 13th anniversary) back to Sandals Grande Riveria (Ocho Rios, Jamaica)!!! Wish that we could LIVE there!!! After that, we'll be planning our next cruise!!!:)

I have been on several cruises where people missed the ship, but the most memorable was one where the passenger actually did not miss it.

It was in St Thomas a few years ago. We were sitting on our balcony which happened to overlook the pier, when just as they pulled up the gangway, a crew member came racing back and they made him jump onto the ship.

We started to move from the pier About 15 minutes later. We were about 8 feet out when a woman with her arms full of packages strolled in to the pier area, obviously not in a hurry even though it was almost an hour after we were due back on board. As the ship returned to the pier to pick her up, the people watching from the balconies and the open decks started to boo. She just smiled and bowed, and did not seen the least bit upset that she had delayed several thousand other passengers.

[quote name='going2cruz'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]It may not in this country but it may get you on a plane in other countries.....[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

If you can find an airline that will allow this .. I'd be very interested in knowing which one will sell you a plane ticket without a passport.

[quote name='kwbound']My son and 3 of his friends, all in their early 20's, were the last 4 passengers to reboard the Ecstasy in Progreso on our cruise last summer. I was FREAKING out! Security had already introduced me to the port agent and told me that if they didn't return within a few minutes, they would send someone to their cabins to get all of their things. So I think they will do that without the passengers' permission. They said they would throw everything in their bags and leave it with the port agent and he would make sure that they had a place to stay for the night and help them get on a flight back to the states (which I would have had to pay for of course). My fear was not that they were just late getting back, but that something horrible had befallen them...the boys had been killed and the girl sold into slavery...there is no limit to the horrible things a mother can imagine! I knew that none of them had their cellphones with them because we had drilled into their heads not to run up a bunch of roaming charges, so we couldn't even call them. Although I tried repeatedly. Carnival's head of security, who couldn't have been nicer to me in spite of me bordering on hysterics, assured me that any time an accident befalls a Carnival passenger, or they are involved with the police in any way, the ship is notified immediately by the authorities and they had received no such notification so he was sure they were ok. (Easy for him to say - not his kid!) But I knew that even if they were not dead on the side of the road somewhere, they were not going to know to contact the port agent, or even that such a person existed. My husband had gone up to the top of the ship with binoculars and a 2-way radio and called down that there was one more bus speeding down the pier. One of the security officers down at the gangplank with me called that bus driver and he understood the driver to say there were 3 passengers on the bus. There should have been 4! So now I'm really about to lose it. Who is missing and why?! But the bus stops and all 4 of them get out, guys are barefoot, shirtless, sunburned and feeling no pain. They had been in Buddy's bar, and Buddy was apparently comping most of their drinks. They didn't even realize that they were almost left. I have never been SO mad and SO relieved at the same time! This is now known in our family as "The Infamous Progreso Incident". And we are NOT planning on taking these knuckleheads, including DS, on any more of our cruises! (My blood pressure has gone up just recalling this memory!)[/QUOTE]

now, now...I am sure your kids have seen I Love Lucy reruns........they would have known to immeadiately go to see the port agent!LOL

Archived