Oasis/Allure vs. Nimitz aircraft carrier in weight

JokerABC

Not really, displacement also factors in hull shape, length, width, carriage, and distribution of mass (center of gravity).

The only true measure is deadweight (the mathematical sum of the weight of all of the materials that were used in construction (factors out people/provisions/fuel/carriage - which are variables). The deadweight of Oasis/Allure is 25,000 tons.

I would beg to differ here. The mass of the water displaced by a bouyant object is equal to the mass of the object. Thus, if the Oasis and Nimitz both displace 100,000 tons of water their mass is 100,000 tons. Of course this mass would include any contents carried by the ship.

Deadweight tonnage (DWT) of a ship is a measure of the maximum amount of cargo, ballast, fuel, water, etc. that a ship can safely hold.

I would beg to differ here. The mass of the water displaced by a bouyant object is equal to the mass of the object. Thus, if the Oasis and Nimitz both displace 100,000 tons of water their mass is 100,000 tons. Of course this mass would include any contents carried by the ship.

Deadweight tonnage (DWT) of a ship is a measure of the maximum amount of cargo, ballast, fuel, water, etc. that a ship can safely hold.

Nope, that is measured by GRT(1 GRT = 100 cubic feet). Deadweight measures the amount of stuff the ship needs to have permanently in place onboard to maintain its desired waterline and trim. The differences are that a shallow draft vessel with a higher center of gravity needs to add more ballast than a deeper draft vessel with a lower center of gravity. The center of gravity on the Nimitz is substantially lower than that of the Oasis, and its draft is a full 10 feet deeper, which means more of its gross displacement comes from its physical weight than Oasis, which must add water as ballast to compensate for its high center of gravity and shallow draft. While the gross displacement may be similar, the mechanisms that create that displacement are markedly different.

Wish I could find the Nimitz' deadweight, but none of the ships registrys have it. Also, different registrys list Oasis at either 15,000 T or 25,000 T.

In any case, the average person will have more fun on an Oasis class vessel then a Nimitz class vessel.

Except for my former table mate the power plant engineer. When the install job was finished they gave him a ride in an F 18 that was shot off the ship from the catapult and then landed after a 30 minute zoomy trip.

The ultimate thrill ride.

Not really, displacement also factors in hull shape, length, width, carriage, and distribution of mass (center of gravity).

The only true measure is deadweight (the mathematical sum of the weight of all of the materials that were used in construction (factors out people/provisions/fuel/carriage - which are variables). The deadweight of Oasis/Allure is 25,000 tons.

Not really, that is "lightweight tonnage" according to the site below. Deadweight tonnage is all the fuel, cargo, etc in a ship

http://www.themaritimesite.com/a-guide-to-understanding-ship-weight-and-tonnage-measurements/

My carrier sea time was on an old conventional ship, USS America. I would have enjoyed the luxury of a nuclear powered Nimitz. Nothing more aromatic than a 200 man berthing compartment after the laundry has been down for a week. All the water going to the boilers and none for those dirty clothes hanging at the end of every bunk.:eek: :(

Not really, that is "lightweight tonnage" according to the site below. Deadweight tonnage is all the fuel, cargo, etc in a ship

http://www.themaritimesite.com/a-guide-to-understanding-ship-weight-and-tonnage-measurements/

Lightweight (scrapweight) is rarely used unless the ship is being scrapped. My point was that displacement doesn't accurately reflect actual weight any more than GRT. On Oasis, deadweight is only 15-25% of displacement, and displacement is less than half of GRT.

Lightweight (scrapweight) is rarely used unless the ship is being scrapped. My point was that displacement doesn't accurately reflect actual weight any more than GRT. On Oasis, deadweight is only 15-25% of displacement, and displacement is less than half of GRT.

The displacement of a vessel IS the amount of water (specified in as weight e.g metric ton = 1000kg or a long ton 2240 lbs.)

If you add the lightweight tonnage (the weight of the ship itself) plus the deadweight tonnage you will have the maximum displacement possible. (Deadweight tonnage is the weight in pounds of fuel, water and cargo carried on board. On a cruise ship, fuel and water makes up the vast majority of the weight... people, and furniture, etc don't weigh as much.)

Oasis of the seas LWT = 88,600 and the DWT(maximum) is 17,100. So if she were fully loaded she would displace 105,700 tons of water.

(ref: http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=321)

displacement is a perfectly valid measurement; it's just completely unrelated to gross tonnage - which is strictly a measure of volume.

Aloha,

john

Maybe I'm just reminiscing too much, but I remember a number of threads from a few years ago on this site inhabited mainly by marine engineers. My favorite colloquy was from July 2008 and I proffer it here FYSA.

CURRO: I don't know, but the length, width and depth of the spaces may be in some of the RC publicity, which should be enough to perform a gross calculation of the volume...However, note that the gross tonnage is not the volume by itself, but:

GT=V*k1

and:

k1=0.2+0.02*log(V)

Where V is the total volume of the enclosed spaces and log is the decimal logarithm.

So the variation is not linear, as an increase of the volume will increase both V and k1.

CUIZER2: Well, that explains it.

VR,

T Lex

This topic has me intrigued. I am asking this as a question rather than a statement as I only have moderate knowledge in this area.

it seems some of you are particularly knowledgeable in these things so hopefully you can answer my question.

I always thought that Gross Tons in a ship was similar to GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) in a vehicle, in which it was the combination of the weight of the vehicle, along with passengers and cargo it could carry. More or less the maximum weight fully loaded.

But I am confused with the reference of Gross Tons to Volume. Is there some arbitrary factor that converts volume to weight?

Finally, what then would be the best measurement of the ship's size? Gross Tons, ship dimensions, other factors, or a combination of these?

Yeah, this is what I thought also. But gross tons refers to volume. Deadweight tonnage is the weight of the ship with the fuel, cargo, etc.

Check out this easy to read site

GT is a good number to use to determine the amount of space per passenger. Take the GRT and divide by the pax capacity and you get a really useful comparison between ships. For example grt/pax on FOS is ~42; GRT/pax on Disney's Dream is ~32. That's the equivalent of 10x10x10 ft. more space/pax on FOS.

Yeah, this is what I thought also. But gross tons refers to volume. Deadweight tonnage is the weight of the ship with the fuel, cargo, etc.

Check out this easy to read site

Thanks for the link. That explains a lot. So in reality, as the site suggested there is simply an arbitrary conversion:

100 cubic feet = one Gross Ton.

Gross Tons originated when measuring volume to carry wine. I don't remember all the details but there was a thread here on CC years ago...........

I can believe that. Many things maritime have their origin in historical methods or beliefs. I am sure somehow, it came down to sailing ships moving whiskey, wine, or rum from point a to point b.

I'm guessing the "persons per bathroom ratio" is much, much better on the Oasis than the Nimitz. That said, I'd love to take a cruise on both of these vessels. (As a passenger, that is. I'm not too keen on the idea of working on a cruise.)

My brother in law did what I think is called a Tiger cruise, on the Abraham Lincoln out of Pearl. That is one cruise I would like to try.

Why I know or care I am not sure. I am just geeky enough to find the technical stuff interesting. To clarify a couple of things:

Deadweigtht is not a measure of the ships weight it is a measure of what the ship can carry safely. Deadweight is the sum of the weights of cargo, fuel, fresh water, ballast water, provisions, passengers, and crew. It is what the ship is carrying -- the deadweight, not the weight of the ship itself.

Gross register tonnage [GRT] is an archaic term for measurement of ship's volume. The current term is "Gross Tonnoge" [GT]. GT was deveolped as a stadnardized way to measure the internal volume of a ship. Not entirely certain why GRT wasn't working, but I think it had to do with a lack of formal rules for measuring and calculating the GRT. There are formal rules for GT and a complex formula for arriving at GT based on the measurments taken. Despite the fact that GRT is archaic, you still see it used. I even saw GRT used in a recent press release by Meyers Werft, the shipyard building the new Project Sunshine ships for RCI. I suspect the release was written by some non-technical PR type.

Displacement refers to the mass of the water that the ship displaces while floating. A floating ship always displaces an amount of water of the same mass as the ship.

My Oasis stateroom

2430656700095031022S600x600Q85.jpg

Just got back from another 2 day cruise to nowhere on one of our National assets.:D

Here are some pictures of my inside room, could not get a balcony as there are none available.:eek:

2427556870095031535S600x600Q85.jpg

2226578760095031535S600x600Q85.jpg

Notice the ladder hanging on the wall next to the sink, that is so you can get into the top bunk

2537606150095031535S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived