Taxi for wine...

ASIWISH

Walt and others. I would like a recommendation for a Pinot Grigio and a Vouvray (love it) for our upcoming trip. We are not well educated when it comes to wines.

Chris

Unfortunately I'm not an afficionado of either varietal (or Johannesburg Riesling, for that matter) so I can't help with recommendations. We (my DW and I) find both to be a bit too sweet for our tastes.

i don't usually post, but i am wondering how people pack bottles of wine in their luggage for airplane transport. we are taking a taxi from miami to port everglades the morning of our cruise and don't know if we will pass a liquor store, so i figure i should bring some on the plane with us. any info would be great!

i don't usually post, but i am wondering how people pack bottles of wine in their luggage for airplane transport. we are taking a taxi from miami to port everglades the morning of our cruise and don't know if we will pass a liquor store, so i figure i should bring some on the plane with us. any info would be great!

Tough to put bottles in your luggage adds so much weight and they can break. You have to pack a lot of bubble wrap around them, but I have heard of people breaking bottles and having red wine on all their clothes for the cruise. What we do when we fly to FLL is go online to the FLL Total Wine store and buy and pay for our wine and then pick it up on the way to the port. They will have it boxed and waiting for you. The store is located in a shopping center on 17th street less than a mile from the port entrance. Monday to Saturday they open at 9 am and Sundays at noon. I think on a Sunday departure you could check in, go to your cabin then get back off the ship and take a Taxi back to the Total Wine store after lunch.

Pinot Grigio is not one of my `go to`wines but I have had several from Italy`s Veneto and Friuli regions and enjoyed them. Quite crisp, lots of acidity so they are very fresh and lively. You probably can`t go wrong with any Italian Pinot Grigio.

As for Vouray, this is more than likely the Chenin Blanc grape. South Africa also produced a nice Chenin Blanc. Classic pairing for off dry Vouray are goat cheese or pork belly. Goat cheese and chenin blanc are a match made in heaven.

If you are going to order seafood for dinner some night on your cruise, may I suggest trying a Sauvignon Blanc, another perfect wineéfood pairing. since you like Vouray, try a Sancerre as it is also in the Loire Valley, just a bit to the west.

Gary

Walt and others. I would like a recommendation for a Pinot Grigio and a Vouvray (love it) for our upcoming trip. We are not well educated when it comes to wines.

Chris

Terrydtx - thanks for that suggestion. i wasn't sure how far the store is from the pier but i guess we could check in and drop our luggage and head over to total wine. do you know how much taxi fare would be? is it walkable? thanks

Taxi ride is about 5-8 minutes; have the taxi wait if you have pre-ordered. Run in, pick up your wine and return to the port. Be sure to bring your passports with you as you will be re-entering the port and Sheriff's Security check always asks for I.D.

It is too far to walk, particularly seeing you will be carrying wine on the way back.

Terrydtx - thanks for that suggestion. i wasn't sure how far the store is from the pier but i guess we could check in and drop our luggage and head over to total wine. do you know how much taxi fare would be? is it walkable? thanks

Hey, you sound like my sister...!;)

If you have "special" wines, bring them... Binny's will sell styrofoam shipping containers or blow up containers for your suitcase... but, check out Total Wine pin Ft. Lauderdale on-line for wines to get down there...

I have used these with success. ;)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Compression_Bags___Packing_AccessoriesFP138

Here is another option for getting wine to FLL from your home. Last year on a trip to the California Wine country we bought about a case of wine and at one wine store bought a 12 bottle shipping box that had Styrofoam inserts for $10, they also had 6 bottle boxes. We checked the box on the airplane for the $25 bag fee. A case of wine is less than the 50lb weight limit too. None of the bottles were broken and the box we bought is the same type most wineries use to ship wines on UPS or FedEx to end users. I have a store room full of them now in my house.

Thank you all for your great suggestions on bringing wine on the plane an getting it in port also. (especially little bro, who finally figured out who i am on this board!)

Nice to see you on these boards, Kelly!

I was wondering how you were becoming such a cruise expert! Have fun on the Eurdam... she's a beautiful ship!:)

Just register at the Total Wine web site and they will send you an email w/coupons every week or so. Register the Ft. Lauderdale as your freferred store. They are in the Harbour shops and I don't know where it is laoicated from your hotel. Their web ite will list all the wine prices as well as lliquor. You can phone your order in with a credit card and I'm sure if it's large enough they will arrange delivery. See you on the ship.

Just register at the Total Wine web site and they will send you an email w/coupons every week or so. Register the Ft. Lauderdale as your preferred store. They are in the Harbour shops and I don't know where it is located from your hotel. Their website will list all the wine prices as well as liquor. You can phone your order in with a credit card and I'm sure if it's large enough they will arrange delivery. See you on the ship.

You do not even have to buy with a phone call, do the ordering and payment online and the wine will be waiting for you to pick up or if over their minimum order amount they will deliver NC to your hotel. They can not however deliver to the ship. Have done this when flying to FLL in the past.

Great thread with lots of info! I have sailed HAL before but only brought maybe 4 bottles of wine when we checked in. From what I am reading here, I can bring on a case? Can my hubby also bring a case onboard? This isn't for a 5 day cruise (LOL) but a 28 day cruise.

Print this before you leave for your cruise... as I am told, Total Wine coupons never expire, even though it has an expiration date printed on it!

http://image.email-totalwine.com/lib/fecc157071620079/m/3/AZ_1027.gif?j=32897377&e=&l=177810_HTML&u=354662633&mid=104644&jb=0

:):):)

Thanks for the coupons. Only problem I can see is in the fine print it says for use in AZ only. I have signed up for our local store so we will see if we get any coupons before our next cruise. ;)

Great thread with lots of info! I have sailed HAL before but only brought maybe 4 bottles of wine when we checked in. From what I am reading here, I can bring on a case? Can my hubby also bring a case onboard? This isn't for a 5 day cruise (LOL) but a 28 day cruise.

I might need 3 cases for a 28 day cruise:D

You can bring on as much as you can carry. I have a wheeled collapsible cooler with telescoping handle that a boxed case of wine fits perfectly in and then I can wheel my case aboard. This is also a good place to store the wine. I then have my cabin steward remove all the drinks and beer in the cabin's cooler so I have a good place to cool down my wine to 65 degrees before consumption.:D

I then have my cabin steward remove all the drinks and beer in the cabin's cooler so I have a good place to cool down my wine to 65 degrees before consumption.:D

We did something similar, but with bottled water... great idea.

our Cabin Steward placed all the items from the mini-bar inside the storage compartment in the ottoman...

From the web-site:

We offer delivery on orders over $200 of wine within a 20 mile radius of this location.Orders under $200 may be ordered for in-store pickup. See Details. Please allow 2-3 business days for order processing.

Archived