Taxi for wine...

ASIWISH

Does anyone know how much a cab would cost for the following trips?

1. FFL to the Harbor Beach Marriott.

2. Harbor Beach Marriott to Total Wines/Publix.

3. Harbor Beach Marriott to Costco.

I can rent a car for a day for $48.00, but would still need to take a cab to the hotel. I can't rent from FLL and drop at the Marriott:mad:.

Trying to find the cheapest way to pick up some wine for our cruise...

Kneejerk reaction was to post: "hotel is $20 by taxi from the airport"....argued with myself I shouldn't make wild a$$ guesses.....then found a web page for the hotel which states "hotel is $20 by taxi from the airport".

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-sheet/travel/fllsb-harbor-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/

(Click on: driving directions from the airport)

Since that makes me more confident about guesses, $10 between hotel and 17th St Publix/Total Wine, each way.

Not a clue about Costco. Sorry.

P.S.: Total Wine is pretty much on the way from the airport to the hotel. If you were very organized - had ordered by internet or phone - you might not have to make a separate trip, but could stop on the way.

I heard if your order is over a certain amount that Total Wine will deliver to your hotel. You may want to call them and find out the details. That would save the cost for a taxi and you can preorder on line.

Andrea

Call, order your wine and have the taxi stop on your way to the dock and you can pick it up. They will have it boxed and ready,,,,, usually. We never bring wine with us but I've read enough times on this board to know they do that.

The extra charge for taxi to stop, have one of you run in to get the wine and get back in taxi would probably add $10 - $15 to the fare.

Tip: Make sure someone remains in the taxi with your luggage. Don't leave your belongings in the taxi with no one from your party 'watching it'.

I can rent a car for a day for $48.00, but would still need to take a cab to the hotel. I can't rent from FLL and drop at the Marriott:mad:.

Which Marriott are you people staying at?

Total wine will deliver to your hotel, but also check and see if the hotel has a free shuttle to take you to Total wine to pick up your wine. I have seen in some past posts about TW that some hotel shuttles have been used to get their wine. When we fly to FLL I go online and order and pay for my wine and Total Wine has it boxed and waiting for me to pick up on the way to the port by either taxi or hotel shuttle. Sunday departures are a problem because TW doesn't open until noon, all other days they open at 9am. TW is also open on Saturday night to midnight so for Sunday departures we pick up our wine Saturday night.

Just one other word of advise do not leave your wines with the porters at the doc, unless you do not care if some bottles are broken or missing, take them with your carry on and directly to your cabin when you board.

Sail: I remember you mentioned HAL had Opus One on the wine list... do you remember how much it was, or how much all the wines were for that matter?

I'm thinking the more expensive the wine is, the better the value to bring it. That frees up a lot of excursion money, tip money, etc...

Does anyone have the wine list with pricing? I know the liquor list and pricing has been posted here, but I don't recall seeing wine.

Sail: I remember you mentioned HAL had Opus One on the wine list... do you remember how much it was, or how much all the wines were for that matter?

I'm thinking the more expensive the wine is, the better the value to bring it. That frees up a lot of excursion money, tip money, etc...

Does anyone have the wine list with pricing? I know the liquor list and pricing has been posted here, but I don't recall seeing wine.

You can go online to HAL website and look under the area where you buy your shore excursions there is a tab for buying "Indulgences" and then "beverages" with wines listed you can buy for passengers. These are not all the wines you can buy for meals but the prices at this site are the same as in the bars and MDR, For example Beringer White Zinfandel is $33.95 and under $5 retail :eek:

If you rent from Alamo and I believe Budget at FLL you can return the car to the FLL airport terminal and there is a city bus sponsered by these two companies that takes you free to each of the cruise terminals ( we boarded four in our group)....all you need to do is show your rental contract......we did this last trip as wanted to go to Total Wine and have travel options with a rental car.

We make our life easy on ourselves and enjoy our vacation in all ways possible. We don't lug our own wine aboard. We never have and think we probably never will even when we board in Boston under an hour away from our home.

We don't buy the very least costly wines from the wine steward and only occassionally high priced ones. We often drink wines in the mid range and for us, on HAL, that would be about $40 - $90. Yes, that is higher than we would pay in liquor store but we aren't in a liquor store on the ship. We're in a lovely dining room on a vacation and expect to pay a bit more same as we do in a nice restaurant at home.

Wine lists change often on HAL and availability of what is on the wine list changes often, as well. One cruise we purchased the last bottle of a wine we really like the first night and there was no more the rest of the cruise. Also the wine list in the Main Dining Room is different from Pinnacle's though it is sometimes possible to order from either in both venues.

Opus One varies in price by year etc I have no idea which one we were drinking one cruise to the next. DH does all the bar tab signing and I don't often look at the slips. I don't know what he pays for many of the wines we drink. :o All I know is which we like. :)

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I seriously doubt if I ask DH he could answer how much he paid for our Opus One bottles. He would only notice if it was extremely economical :) or terribly pricey. If it falls in the middle, it would be agreeable to him and would not impress him enough to remember.

If you rent from Alamo and I believe Budget at FLL you can return the car to the FLL airport terminal and there is a city bus sponsered by these two companies that takes you free to each of the cruise terminals ( we boarded four in our group)....all you need to do is show your rental contract......we did this last trip as wanted to go to Total Wine and have travel options with a rental car.

Thanks that is very good info.

I agree on the convenience factor, but on a 7-day cruise, the savings can be somewhat justified... IMO.

Northstar Merlot on HAL: $102

Northstar Merlot at Liquor Store: $36

Savings: $66

Corkage charge: $18

Final Price: $48

$48 x 6 bottles:$288

Maybe though this is one of those small things I shouldn't sweat, as Nancy is always telling me.. I need to start getting ready to relax for this cruise!!!!!

You can go online to HAL website and look under the area where you buy your shore excursions there is a tab for buying "Indulgences" and then "beverages" with wines listed you can buy for passengers. These are not all the wines you can buy for meals but the prices at this site are the same as in the bars and MDR, For example Beringer White Zinfandel is $33.95 and under $5 retail :eek:

Being in California I don't know the Total Wine prices in Florida. But it's been my experience that the higher the store price (say for Opus One) the lower the price difference between TW and the ship's wine list.

Being in California I don't know the Total Wine prices in Florida. But it's been my experience that the higher the store price (say for Opus One) the lower the price difference between TW and the ship's wine list.

Based on the percentage, yes... but, the dollar amount would be greater...

As they say in the restaurant business, "you don't put percentages in your pocket!"

My guess, is that Opus One would be about $80-100 less in a liquor store... I think on Celebrity, Opus was $225/bottle (to Sail's point, I don't recall the year on that cruise).

$80-$100 is a lot of wrinkle cream for the Mrs...! (she'll kill me for this comment!!!!:p:p)

I agree on the convenience factor, but on a 7-day cruise, the savings can be somewhat justified... IMO.

Northstar Merlot on HAL: $102

Northstar Merlot at Liquor Store: $36

Savings: $66

Corkage charge: $18

Final Price: $48

$48 x 6 bottles:$288

Maybe though this is one of those small things I shouldn't sweat, as Nancy is always telling me.. I need to start getting ready to relax for this cruise!!!!!

Yes, of course, your arithmetic is correct. We're on for 14 days so double it. :)

It's all about choices, I guess.

We relish comfort and convenience and vacation is not where we scrimp the most. If necessary, I'd rather cut back on something else (like organzied excursions).

I like DH to enjoy reading the wine list, discussing some choices with me and the (usually) charming HAL wine stewards and have pleasure making his choices sitting at our lovely set table, flowers and sparkly chrystal and have the whole comfort experience. It is one of our pleasures. Certainly no right or wrong. Each does what works for them. (Sometimes wine steward and DH quietly point and chat and smile and I know they've picked a special wine they know I enjoy. Steward, on those occassions has a wide smile when he brings the bottle to the table as he knows that is a 'treat' wine chosen because they know I particularly like it. :) That ...... Priceless. ;)

It's permitted to bring wine so no reason not to except choice.

... and Walt: When I saw you commented on this thread I panicked I said something wrong and was being reprimanded!!! I'm not used to seeing you post!;)

This is only our second cruise coming up in Dec on HAL, but last year which was our first experience....and we are not wine snobs.....the wine selection was limited even in the Pinnacle Dinning room on the Westerdam... I struggled to find a good bottle for a special occassion. So we plan to bring a case of decent stuff for our upcoming trip and love the Total Wine in FLL.... its like a Home Depot.....a real treat to walk through.

If you rent from Budget and have a hotel in the 17th Street Causeway area, where many cruisers stay, you often can return the car to The Quay, small strip mall having a Budget office, at 1515 17th Street Causeway. It is located where is Bravo Restaurant and I forget the other very casual seafood restaurant.

Verify if they will let you get the car at the airport and return there but if you do, it's is sooooo convenient. We always took a taxi to Hyatt Pier 66, checked in, DH would walk or hop a ride over to The Quay and pick up our car. We rarely rent a car anymore these days. Don't need it.

... and Walt: When I saw you commented on this thread I panicked I said something wrong and was being reprimanded!!! I'm not used to seeing you post!;)

As a wine enthusiast when I see a discussion about wine, I will join in occasionally.

My biggest problem bringing wine on board is that I'll find something on board that I've not seen before so I'll try it instead of one of my own. I've found myself leaving wine behind on disembarkation when I bring my own (always bring too much) because I don't want a hassle with the US Customs guys.

Lately I just don't bother bringing any on board other than maybe one or two or three super dupers from my own cellar (a Silver Oak '94, a Jordan '98 and a Dom Perignon for a celebration of some kind, for example).

Archived