Taxi for wine...

ASIWISH

Have you considered stopping by Total Wine on the way to your hotel from FLL and then you have wine for your hotel stay and are ready to go to the port? I think that is what I would do. Cherie

That's a good idea.

I forget which hotel OP is staying in but it likely is not far out of the way from the airport to stop by Total Wine. (My memory is it's one of the hotels located reasonably close to port and airport.)

That's a good idea.

I forget which hotel OP is staying in

Actually, here is my resolve:

I have rented a car for the day from Hertz, for $11. I'll take it from FLL, stop at Walgreen's, Publix, and Total Wine. Drop the car off at the Marriott Harbor Beach (our hotel).

All this, for $11... that's cheaper than taking a cab to the hotel ($20) and then a cab roundtrip to the stores ($18?)...!

Worked out pretty good! Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

Cheers!

I have rented a car for the day from Hertz, for $11. I'll take it from FLL, stop at Walgreen's, Publix, and Total Wine. Drop the car off at the Marriott Harbor Beach (our hotel).

All this, for $11... that's cheaper than taking a cab to the hotel ($20) and then a cab roundtrip to the stores ($18?)...!

Cheers!

Good plan. You're an excellent 'shopper'.

I assume when you write FLL, you are referring to Fort Lauderdale Airport? I use FLL to mean Fort Lauderdale....... You'd think after all our flights there I'd know if that is actually the airport abbreviation.

Happy you found a great way to get all your errands done at the lowest expense.

Enjoy.

Cheers!

How did you get a $11 rental? :confused::eek::D

Good plan. You're an excellent 'shopper'.

I assume when you write FLL, you are referring to Fort Lauderdale Airport? I use FLL to mean Fort Lauderdale....... You'd think after all our flights there I'd know if that is actually the airport abbreviation.

Happy you found a great way to get all your errands done at the lowest expense.

Enjoy.

Yes! FLL is the airport...! I do the same thing, Sail...

Is the rental just a 'day' rental meaning you won't have it a full 24 hours?

I recall some crew telling us they used to be able to get great rates for a few hours while in port to run out to do some errands. The car had to be back in 'x' number of hours which, of course, worked fine for them.

Is the rental just a 'day' rental meaning you won't have it a full 24 hours?

I recall some crew telling us they used to be able to get great rates for a few hours while in port to run out to do some errands. The car had to be back in 'x' number of hours which, of course, worked fine for them.

I've got it for 24hrs, but will only use it for a couple hours... or my financials fall apart!!!! I'd have to pay for valet parking!!!!

Wow this thread has really taken off...been gone on a business trip all week and just catching up.......talking cruising....talking wine....talking tips to save a a few bucks........your my kinda people:D

I've got it for 24hrs, but will only use it for a couple hours... or my financials fall apart!!!! I'd have to pay for valet parking!!!!

Sometimes when we get great rates on cars we cannot bring it back early without a penalty. It is nice that Total Wine is in a shopping center that also has all the other items you might need for the cruise. Cherie

Sometimes when we get great rates on cars we cannot bring it back early without a penalty.

I rent about 50 rentals cars a year... I've never heard of that...! Maybe on mortgage, but never on rental car... why would they do that? it makes no sense...?

I rent about 50 rentals cars a year... I've never heard of that...! Maybe on mortgage, but never on rental car... why would they do that? it makes no sense...?

It doesn't make sense but I've had this happen with Avis, Hertz and Budget.

It occurs when a rental is made at a special deal rate (say a weekend special that's good for 3 days starting on a Thursday night or Friday, for example). If you try to check it in on a Saturday the special rate goes off and the renter reverts to a standard daily rate.

In my case it happened with Avis in Cabo where I had a prepaid 1 week special price rental and tried returning the car after 5 days. They said they would take it back early but there would be an additional charge. I had two choices; pay Avis about $100 to take the car back or keep it two more days...which is what I did.

Second instance was a weekend special from Hertz in Sacramento where we rented a car on a Friday night on a two day special to be returned on Sunday. It was a business trip and the job was done early on Saturday afternoon so I was able to catch a Saturday night flight home. When I tried returning the car they said my rate required that I keep the car over a Saturday night. The single day rate was about $20 higher than the two day special. I paid the extra amount.

Third occurrence was in Hawaii where we booked a three island special. That deal was for two weeks where we had to book cars for specific days on Hawaii (Hilo), Maui and Oahu. We left Hilo a day earlier than planned for Maui and, when we turned the car in we were told that we would need to pay one extra day if we wanted to have a car for an extra day in Maui.

It doesn't make sense but I've had this happen with Avis, Hertz and Budget.

It occurs when a rental is made at a special deal rate (say a weekend special that's good for 3 days starting on a Thursday night or Friday, for example). If you try to check it in on a Saturday the special rate goes off and the renter reverts to a standard daily rate.

In my case it happened with Avis in Cabo where I had a prepaid 1 week special price rental and tried returning the car after 5 days. They said they would take it back early but there would be an additional charge. I had two choices; pay Avis about $100 to take the car back or keep it two more days...which is what I did.

Second instance was a weekend special from Hertz in Sacramento where we rented a car on a Friday night on a two day special to be returned on Sunday. It was a business trip and the job was done early on Saturday afternoon so I was able to catch a Saturday night flight home. When I tried returning the car they said my rate required that I keep the car over a Saturday night. The single day rate was about $20 higher than the two day special. I paid the extra amount.

Third occurrence was in Hawaii where we booked a three island special. That deal was for two weeks where we had to book cars for specific days on Hawaii (Hilo), Maui and Oahu. We left Hilo a day earlier than planned for Maui and, when we turned the car in we were told that we would need to pay one extra day if we wanted to have a car for an extra day in Maui.

Interesting... thanks, Walt!

Host Walt explained it really well. In Honolulu we have wanted to do what you are doing in Florida, rent a car for a few hours, and return it at the end of the day to avoid the parking fee. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We have found in L.A. that a weekend rate is a weekend rate and you have to keep the car for 3 days if you want the 9.99 per day rate. As someone else said, you were lucky to find the rate you did and also a location that will take the car back early. Have a great cruise. Cherie

As someone else said, you were lucky to find the rate you did and also a location that will take the car back early. Have a great cruise. Cherie

What Walt explained is interesting, but is not relevant to my one-day rental. It applies to a multi-day rental.

At the risk of somebody getting bad information on these boards, I think it's important to stress that you WILL NOT be charged a penalty for returning a car early on a one-day rental.

This can be a great solution for somebody, and I think it's helpful to make sure it is explained correctly.

I just left Total Wine... and it is amazing!!! AMAZING! Not what I expected...

They will have most anything you need, at remarkable prices.

Even without the coupon, they are about 15-20% less than my place.

You'll love it! They were four cabs outside waiting for Cruisers to run in and pick out their wines! (I asked)

Just loaded the soft cooler with Ice, brie, crackers, and Stag's Leap Karia Chardonnay ($22/bottle here, $27.99 at home)... and we are walking down the beach to watch the Statendam and the Noordam leave port...

Have a wonderful night!

You are now a Total Wine Addict.

Last summer I was in the Naples, FL Total Wine store for over two hours. After about an hour and a half in the place one of the sales staff commented to me, said something like "you still here!" ... I told them I was like a kid in a candy store, so much to choose from, so many good deals.

I always look forward to spending some time at this store.

Our flight gets into FLL around 7:15 on a Saturday night. I plan on getting our luggage to the hotel and immediately head out to Total Wine to pick up our selections for the cruise. I could order on line, but find it more fun browsing in the store.

Cheers!

Gary

I just left Total Wine... and it is amazing!!! AMAZING! Not what I expected...

They will have most anything you need, at remarkable prices.

Even without the coupon, they are about 15-20% less than my place.

You'll love it! They were four cabs outside waiting for Cruisers to run in and pick out their wines! (I asked)

Just loaded the soft cooler with Ice, brie, crackers, and Stag's Leap Karia Chardonnay ($22/bottle here, $27.99 at home)... and we are walking down the beach to watch the Statendam and the Noordam leave port...

Have a wonderful night!

Archived