Pre pay your gratuities now!!!!

BigDfromTN

I just called Carnival and the rep confirmed the new policy and started to tell me it was too late to prepay the tips at $10 pppd for my 12/11 cruise on the Valor. When I insisted that I thought it wasn't taking effect until tomorrow, she went through the process of acting like I was going to prepay, and it did populate at the $10, so I went ahead and prepaid.

So yes, if you haven't prepaid by tomorrow, you will be paying $11.50 per person per day for all sailings beginning 12/1 and after.

So you wanted to make sure that your cabin steward and wait staff don't get their roughly 50 cent raise each day (guessing on what each will get on the 1.50 increase)??? Really??? It's that important to you... Good for you for beating the system!

How could they say that when the new policy hasn't even been officially announced?

Bill

EXACTLY!!

There is no way to know how this is going to go until Carnival officially announces it. Those that have run off and pre-paid tonight, based on the assumption that it makes them "safe" from the increase may be in for a BIG surprise. :cool:

So you wanted to make sure that your cabin steward and wait staff don't get their roughly 50 cent raise each day (guessing on what each will get on the 1.50 increase)??? Really??? It's that important to you... Good for you for beating the system!

I love the valuable information I learn on this website, but I hate the personal attacks made by people like this. I guess you have to learn how to sift through the BS.

I love the valuable information I learn on this website, but I hate the personal attacks made by people like this. I guess you have to learn how to sift through the BS.

What personal attack? Are you not posting in a popular forum telling people how to deny workers getting their first raise in 10+ years?

My gratuities are already paid, and I agree the staff works hard, but that's a 50% increase per person, per day!

Now, an extra 3.50 per day, or $24.50 for a 7 day cruise per person, may not sound like much, but for our family that is an additional $147 for a total of $441 in tips alone for a family of 6 on a 7 day cruise. :eek:

That pays for a whole nother cruise!

sorry dear....$11.50 vs $10.00 is not a 50% increase...

So if u prepay now how does that stop u from having to pay the increased amount after dec 1?..you would only pay the ten dollars now but why would they just not 'adjust'your tips once onboard since there is a new designated amount?

I think you did what you needed to not pay the higher tips. why not?? I dont fault you. I thought that was the whole point of this thread, to tell people to prepay TONIGHT to avoid the increase.

sorry someone didnt like what you did. people do get crazy when tips are mentioned.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the math is kind of fun. If you use the Liberty as an example, and IF the ship sails to capacity, they are currently collecting $208,180 in tips every week or 7 day cruise. The crew is roughly 1150 people. Tips aren't divided evenly, but I have no idea what the tip structure is. If they were divided evenly that would be $181.00 per week in tips per crew member.

At $11.50 a day, the numbers increase to $239,407 collected for tips and 208.00 per week per crew member.

I think you did what you needed to not pay the higher tips. why not?? I dont fault you. I thought that was the whole point of this thread, to tell people to prepay TONIGHT to avoid the increase.

sorry someone didnt like what you did. people do get crazy when tips are mentioned.

Agreed!

But....we don't know that Carnival is going to honor it anyway. I am with Froufie....I think they will adjust the onboard account for those who prepaid - to adjust for the difference. After all....is still just a "recommended amount" - that anyone can have removed! ;)

I am not so concerned about the increase in tips, you can adjust them up or down at any time.....so if you don't like the increase go to the desk and have it adjusted back to the 10.00.......

What is typical Carnival fashion lately is the lack of communication - when they want to sing their own praises, they have no issues celebrating and leading you up to the big reveal (I am still waiting for the reveal on the new Loyalty Program) but when it is something they believe may upset the apple cart, they sneak it by.................

I am not so concerned about the increase in tips, you can adjust them up or dawn at any time.....so if you don't like the increase go to the desk and have it adjusted back to the 10.00.......

What is typical Carnival fashion lately is the lack of communication - when they want to sing their own praises, they have no issues celebrating and leading you up to the big reveal (I am still waiting for the reveal on the new Loyalty Program) but when it is something they believe may upset the apple cart, they sneak it by.................

Unfortunately, that's nothing new :cool:....

I totally agree! It's not the fact that the tips are going up, it's the way that Carnival is implementing the increase--very quietly, sneaky even. Definitely not very professional.

I totally agree! It's not the fact that the tips are going up, it's the way that Carnival is implementing the increase--very quietly, sneaky even. Definitely not very professional.

It has us considering our other favorite cruise line more and more often......RCCL

Well, you could turn the tables and question why the PVP's are telling before CCL has made the announcement.

It's like inside trading secrets being let out.

Since not all were not informed in one announcement maybe it was the PVP that was trying to be sneaky and not CCL.

JMHO ... that is not very professional!

Well, you could turn the tables and question why the PVP's are telling before CCL has made the announcement.

Since not all were not informed in one announcement maybe it was the PVP that was trying to be sneaky and not CCL.

Here is the reason, the PVP's realize that if they don't treat their customers right, we will go elsewhere - they understand loyalty and repeat business much better than Carnival; they get paid based on how many bookings they do.....

There will be no announcement from Carnival, it goes into effect - big difference

Here is the reason, the PVP's realize that if they don't treat their customers right, we will go elsewhere - they understand loyalty and repeat business much better than Carnival; they get paid based on how many bookings they do.....

There will be no announcement from Carnival, it goes into effect - big difference

From an e-mail received this afternoon.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011, we will be announcing that our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $10.00 per person per day to $11.50 per person per day effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward. Guests who have already pre-paid their gratuities on their booking will not be affected by this change.

It has us considering our other favorite cruise line more and more often......RCCL

Seriously?

It is my understanding the announcement will be made tomorrow, for sailings beginning 12/1 and after... a month from now. That doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. But that's just me.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011, we will be announcing that our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $10.00 per person per day to $11.50 per person per day effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward. Guests who have already pre-paid their gratuities on their booking will not be affected by this change.

Interesting! We sail on the Magic 12/4 and have not received any notification at all.

If you don't mind me asking...who did it come from?? "Carnival" or your PVP?? :confused:

Professional or not... It is what I appreciate my PVP for. She is looking out for me and the prices I pay for my Carnival vacation.

Not professional is sending out an email very late in the day that a policy changes as of opening of business the next day. Which may not be 100% accurate given the 12/1 date thrown around. But she was in a hurry and sent out info. as she received it.

BUT that seems to be the norm for Carnival lately. And I guess you can say of MasterCard as well. Since they Suddenly and without notice stopped a promo for $50 OBC for using their card.

Agreed $11.50 is more than fair for what we normally get. Only ONCE have I not tipped extra to my cabin Steward/ess. That is the only one that did not go above basic service. Only ONCE have I not tipped the MDR wait additional money, That was on a four day we had Anytime Dining and did not go to the MDR each night then. MOST times I also tip extra to the Lido Bar wait staff that provide good service and friendly conversation.

My idea of this message board is for the sharing and receiving of information about cruising and this board specifically about Carnival. Thank you all for sharing your information.

Some people received emails, I certainly did not and as you can see will be sailing after the December 1st increase - so I would expect my PVP who I have used for 7+ years (more than one cruise per year) to give me a heads up.......

For the record, I don't prepay tips, I don't remove tips and yes I tip more than required........I am only talking about lack of communication

Seriously?

Seriously what???? :confused:

That is I think a company is changing in a direction that does not support customer service I take my loyalty and cash some place else?

It is my understanding the announcement will be made tomorrow, for sailings beginning 12/1 and after... a month from now. That doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. But that's just me.

The announcement was made by email to some .....not like they are going to roll out a press conference - they save that for Burgers and Comedians

The announcement was made by email to some .....not like they are going to roll out a press conference - they save that for Burgers and Comedians

Going to only some is TYPICAL of the New Carnival!

Bugers and Comedians... Now that made me laugh!!!

If a buck and a half a day makes that much of a difference to me, then I'm in serious trouble. Ten dollars fifty cents for a 7 night cruise.....that's about 3 minutes on a quarter slot machine

You can make $10.50 last 3 minutes on a quarter slot machine??? :eek: ....please tell me your secret as it doesn't last nearly that long for me ;)

Archived