Pre pay your gratuities now!!!!

BigDfromTN

first of all, rccl doesn't do autotips, and don't charge your account unless you initiate it (except for mtd)m

but they also have two different rates: suites and up, and then jr. suites and down. and then on my last rccl, i somehow got the higher sheet in my cabin. how cnvenient was that?

Which is my preference..........I'll pay a gratuity for what I feel someone earned otherwise it is not a gratuity - but that is for a different forum ;)

If a $1.50 increase in the suggested daily gratuity is an issue, then you should probably reconsider cruising to begin with, or heck skip your Starbucks fix at home for a couple of days and you have it covered.

Blasphemy - SKIP STARBUCKS........now you have gone off the deep end :D

If a $1.50 increase in the suggested daily gratuity is an issue, then you should probably reconsider cruising to begin with, or heck skip your Starbucks fix at home for a couple of days and you have it covered.

I'm sorry - I have to put my two cents in here... Are you actually suggesting that I don't use my Starbucks Gold card for a couple of days? I do agree - this is blasphemy. What on earth are you thinking? I'm expected to pay higher tips and stop having a $5 drink each day? OMG....what is this world coming too....what is it coming to. I can only shake my head in disgust. ;)

We just got off the Freedom and I was more than happy to tip additional money to several of the staff on this cruise. We experienced the BEST service to date on a cruise. I'm not talking about people just doing their job. When I write my review there will be several instances where staff went over and beyond. As dh just pointed out how many people have had a job where their pay has been frozen for the past 8 years?

My gratuities are already paid, and I agree the staff works hard, but that's a 50% increase per person, per day!

Now, an extra 3.50 per day, or $24.50 for a 7 day cruise per person, may not sound like much, but for our family that is an additional $147 for a total of $441 in tips alone for a family of 6 on a 7 day cruise. :eek:

That pays for a whole nother cruise!

Yuuuuup!

sorry dear....$11.50 vs $10.00 is not a 50% increase...

Tried to edit that post but couldn't, but I reposted later saying to ignore it. That for some reason I had $7/day mandatory tip on my mind. A momentary lapse.

I have no issue with tipping. I am not a fan of "mandatory" tipping but recognize you can remove tips if you are so inclined. I never have and it is doubtful I ever would. I actually think the staff gets shorted this way, that folks would be more generous if they were doing it a dollar or two at a time, but then again, there are those who would stiff the staff so I guess it is better safe than sorry.

OK I'll try this one more time, the tip amount is irrelevant - I am speaking of the poor customer service and continued poor communication. Carnival can raise the tips to 15.00 per day and I would be fine with it - it is the matter in which they roll these types of thing out........not the dollar amount

and I will try one more time:) If you don't care about the amount (nor do I) maybe there will be (I am sure there will be) notification to every affected customer. We are on the early side and a PVP tried to help someone out who posted it here. When they do announce it, it will be the same way that your favorite cruiseline did. :D Just that we are more active on this board. If I searched back on the rccl board I am sure it raised thee sam emotions then, whether or not you heard about it here or from rccl.

Most don't read their cruise contract or even know ES cancellation policy rules, etc. I doubt many people even know how much they pay in gratuities. I take the gratuities off when we get on-board, and actually wind up dishing out a lot more money to those that deserve it than what the current tipping guidelines are.

and I will try one more time:) If you don't care about the amount (nor do I) maybe there will be (I am sure there will be) notification to every affected customer. We are on the early side and a PVP truied to help soomeone out who posteed it here. When they doo announce it, it will be the same way that your favorite cruiseline did. :D Just that we are more active on this board. If I searched back on the rccl board I am sure it raised thee sam emotios then, whether or not you heard about it here or from rccl.

If something goes into affect TODAY - yes TODAY (although it increases December 1st) the time for communication prior to something going into affect has passed............

so I guess we agree - :D

I wish I would have read this yesterday. It would have saved me $42. However I did prepay for two cruises. ;)

It’s a 15% increase. Or should I say a 15% raise for the staff that works for tips only. I think a 15% raise for me would be nice.

$1.50 a day turns out to be $3 to $6 a day depending how many we take on each cruise. Definitely not a deal breaker. :o

If something goes into affect TODAY - yes TODAY (although it increases December 1st) the time for communication prior to something going into affect has passed............

so I guess we agree - :D

So the problem you have is with the pvp not Carnival....got it;) So, I am still confused tho on why this makes you go to your other fav cruiseline.... But either way we agree that the staff deserves the increase:)

OK I'll try this one more time, the tip amount is irrelevant - I am speaking of the poor customer service and continued poor communication. Carnival can raise the tips to 15.00 per day and I would be fine with it - it is the matter in which they roll these types of thing out........not the dollar amount

I agree. The PVPs should not have been privy to the information either or been forbidden to release the information and then the select few people wouldn't have got a heads up to prepay yesterday. I wouldn't have prepaid anyway, I'm fine with the increase, just not the way it was handled.

And the breakdown from Carnival's FAQs:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466

Ok I just don't understand the big deal - this is $10.50 extra for a 7 day cruise! This is the first raise they have gotten in over 10 years!

I'm sorry but it really bugs me when people get mad because of weather and missing a port, etc and take the tips off! This is ridiculous! I have never taken them off and always pay more. If you can't afford to tip on cruises IMO you should find another vacation.

it is my understanding that yet it is going up however it isn't effective until Dec. 1..

Next how do I pre-pay??

It does not effect the sailings until Dec. 1st. but if you are going to prepay for tips for a cruise scheduled Dec. 1st or after you will be charged $11.50 per day pp as of midnight last night. In order to prepay you can call Carnival.

how ironic is it that there are posters having no problem with the increase yet hoping to beat the increase.

and no one stops anyone from adding 1.50 a day now, or any time in the past.

and btw, besides the added $1, i don't think tips have gone up in the 25 years i have been cruising. i used the guidelines as just that. guidelines.

but once they started "taking it" from me for my convenience, nary a time did i go over.

I just looked at the 1997-98 Carnival Brochure, and the recommended tip was $7.50 per day per person: $3.00 each to the steward and waiter and $1.50 to the busboy. The 15% for drinks was added to drink orders then too. All other tipping was at "your discresion".

FYI....I guess this makes it "official" - this is the posting on John's fb page:

373554_144285012280735_879314530_q.jpg

John Heald

Morning everyone. Yesterday quite a few of you saw on our travel agent site that today we would be announcing an increase to our gratuity amounts as of December 1st. The amount is raised from $10 per person per day to $11.50 per person per day which is the first increase in gratuity amounts since 2001.Guests that have pre paid gratuities will not be affected by this increase. Now I will be writing... more about this in the blog today but wanted to make sure you all knew and to thank you for all you do for our wonderful crew.

And the breakdown from Carnival's FAQs:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466

WOW! Lido/ENTERTAINMENT service went up 100%. We are now on our way for paying employee salaries!

I just looked at the 1997-98 Carnival Brochure, and the recommended tip was $7.50 per day per person: $3.00 each to the steward and waiter and $1.50 to the busboy. The 15% for drinks was added to drink orders then too. All other tipping was at "your discresion".

i sit corrected! thanks!

interesting what they like to shout about, and what they keep quiet.

i see the ambassador has been notified. it will be interesting to see his spin on it. yes, the same one who said the tip was not included in the steakhouse fee.

this is a $42 increase for a family of 4 on a 7 day cruise.

May I ask why you hate him so much ?

Archived